What is it about 'em???

Shrews824

Hey guys/gals,

Just wanted to share my thoughts on something. I know that I'm speaking to the choir here (for the most part) and I'm sure this has been spoken about and written about on this forum ad nauseum, but everyday when I pick up my PRS I am more and more amazed at the playability of this thing and just how "right" it is. I'm not sure there is an easier guitar to play out there. Granted, I haven't played every guitar ever made by all of the great boutique builders, but of the guitars I've owned and played over the past 30 years this one is easily the top dog. Don't get me wrong, I love my other guitars and they are special in their own way via their different intricacies, but my PRS.... Well, you get the point.

I love my Les Paul, but let's be honest, Les Paul's require a little bit of work. Not a whole lot mind you, but they do need some coaxing every now and then. That's part of the fun really imo. Learning the sweet spots, volume/tone positions, etc. Same way with Strats, Teles, Gretsch's, or any of the other great guitars we all love. Truthfully, there isn't much to hide behind with them especially if you are direct into an amp, which is how I play 99% of the time. More often than not however, I just want to pick up a guitar and play it without having to fight it or put extraneous effort into it. My PRS does that for me.

Another thing that I've changed my mind about since owning a PRS is that I used to believe that a person couldn't get a vintage sound out of one. I always heard terms like, "sterile", "dead", "lifeless" when describing PRS pickups. That couldn't be further from the truth after REALLY playing one everyday for the last 9 months. My previous encounters playing PRS were relegated to 30 minutes here and there at a store about once a year or so. In situations such as those I never feel like I can get a true representation of what the guitar can do or what it feels like. I'm never able to really turn the amp up, or I feel rushed, or I become cognizant of people listening to me play. Only when I'm home and able to completely dial in my guitar and amp and feel entirely comfortable that I gain a true portrayal of the guitar. And this guitar has "it". Vintage and modern sounds seem to pour out of this thing with ease.

I may find a new guitar tomorrow that takes the place of my PRS, but as of this moment, it's my go-to and the one that is by far the most versatile.

Not only that, but it's a beautiful thing to just stare at as well. ;) The craftmanship alone is something to behold. I just love this thing. That's about all there is to it really. I feel so lucky to be able to own one.

Cheers,
Scott

Sure seems like PRS has has a good amount of choices. If you don't like this then there's a good chance you'd like this one!

I have a Semi hollow body Vela. Took a while for me to get used to the Pattern Regular neck shape. But recently I found that by shortening the strap I was able to get my fretting hand in a more relaxed position. Now it's much better. (Don't ask me why I didn't think of this sooner. Du-uh!).

I played a few different PRS guitars this weekend. I tried an S2 McCarty 594, an SE Hollowbody ll and an SE Mira. Fact is I was in that area again today so I stopped off and tried them again. Of the 3 guitars the one that felt most like home was the SE Mira. I've been going to that store for years, know them very well and asked for a favor. Asked if I could come back tomorrow with my Pod Go, my headphones and my Vela so I can try out a few guitars to do a comparison. I also said "just let me find a quiet corner somewhere and I'll be all set." They said no problem at all, we'll get you set up!

So we'll see what tomorrow has in store for me. May come home with something new.

I've been spending sooo much time on my acoustic of late I spent last evening (mostly) with my SE Custom. Not really focusing on anything specific, just outright enjoying the feel and ease of play, the familiarity and welcoming comfort I get from having it in my hands. Might sound a bit trite, but it felt like putting on an old, super worn in pair of loafers. So to the point of answering/chiming in on this thread, nothing else really feels like a PRS in my world.
I've said before several times I'm no superstar player, I just love playing for the sake of playing. Doesn't even matter what genre or mood I'm in, a few minutes of noodling around and I'm in my comfy place and can be there for hours on end, just losing myself in the sounds and enjoying what comes out of my guitar, the equipment, and yes, me. I did get some of that in my much younger years with the piano, but never with the sense of self and freedom that I get from a (any actually) guitar. But until my PRS came home, I never hit that really cool place before. Sometimes it's a favorite Eagles acoustic rhythm part, or maybe some metal riffs, even some punk-ish Billy Idol stuff. Last night it was Pink Floyd and the SE welcomed me back with love and (at least to my ears) sweet harmonious tones. I'm sure David Gilmour would argue, but I doubt I'll ever hear him lament my lame attempts at the solos in Comfortably Numb. Not that I couldn't use the criticism...
I'm certain that players of several other axes will say that nothing comes close to their machines for certain melodies, riffs, licks, however they want to describe themselves and their results. My PRS just fits me, and I'm totally OK with that.
Now if the (colorful expletive/adjective of exasperation) Guitar Gods would just get off their duffs and deliver my (more expletives) HB-II Piezo life would be waaaaay more complete.

Looks aside (after all, its primary purpose is 'musical instrument'), if a guitar speaks to you, inspires creative ideas, or even just gets you off your behind to play, it's doing its job.

I got my first PRS in late 1991. PRS' were a 'new thing' then (relatively speaking).

It was a Custom (now called a Custom 24). I felt then, and still feel, that PRS was making the finest guitars available (at least, for my own taste and needs).

If you find a new guitar you prefer to your PRS, wonderful, though my prediction would be that you'd be back playing PRS before too long. What justifies my saying this?

Part of it is playability. But there are lots of sweet-playing guitars, if they're set up right.

Most of it is tone.

PRS Guitars don't go, "Eeeeeeeee." They go "Ahhh."I other words they have nuance They aren't ice-picks. But they aren't dark sounding. Like Goldilocks, they're just right.

On the other hand, no guitar can be all things to all people. It's subjective. I've had a few non PRS Guitars since 1991. But the only brand I've stuck with is PRS, and right now I have nothing else.

I had thought the same thing and had a similar experience with them. Tried them out here and there in stores since I started playing but they didn’t beat my strats so never really spent time with them. I now own 2 PRS’s that were bought within a week of each other because I feel in love with them and finally had the aha moment

I definitely fell head over heels when I got my first one last year! Always wanted one mostly because they are so beautiful, but had also heard nothing but love for how they play/sound, so I decided to go for it!!! Purchased first one beginning of February '21, by March '21 I had two and by July '21 I had three!!!! Had work not slowed down so significantly last year, I would already have four and more ;~)) I am so blown away by the playability and tone that the hook is set in this fishes throat!!!!! For me, I care little about the what, why or how, I just revel in the WOW (but in all honesty it just comes down to fine craftsmanship/design and excellent engineering)!!!!!!

I always heard terms like, "sterile", "dead", "lifeless" when describing PRS pickups.

I have always maintained that is more a reflection of the 'player'. If you are basing that on some 'demo' where a player plays the same 'soulless' run of notes/chords to demonstrate the different pick-up selection choices, then how can you expect to connect on an emotional level. Maybe its that 'ease' of playability that make 'demos' seem more sterile as the demonstrator isn't having to think or fight the instrument to try and keep the playing consistent to 'demo' the different pickup selections.

No-one has ever said Santana sounded sterile or lifeless, Gary Moore too or many of the artists that have played a PRS throughout the years. So many session guitarists too used a PRS across all genres of Music and I can't believe that all those songs sounded 'lifeless' or 'Sterile'.

An instrument is a tool for the musician to express their soul, their emotions etc through and PRS Guitars are very dynamic, easy to play which allows the musician to play what they 'feel' and express themselves...

I have always maintained that is more a reflection of the 'player'. If you are basing that on some 'demo' where a player plays the same 'soulless' run of notes/chords to demonstrate the different pick-up selection choices, then how can you expect to connect on an emotional level. Maybe its that 'ease' of playability that make 'demos' seem more sterile as the demonstrator isn't having to think or fight the instrument to try and keep the playing consistent to 'demo' the different pickup selections.

No-one has ever said Santana sounded sterile or lifeless, Gary Moore too or many of the artists that have played a PRS throughout the years. So many session guitarists too used a PRS across all genres of Music and I can't believe that all those songs sounded 'lifeless' or 'Sterile'.

An instrument is a tool for the musician to express their soul, their emotions etc through and PRS Guitars are very dynamic, easy to play which allows the musician to play what they 'feel' and express themselves...

I think you hit the nail on the head there. You said it much better than I ever could!!!

One persons lifeless and sterile is another clear and bright
Full and huge is muddy and lost in the mix.
It depends on so many things.
What I have found is PRS guitars play well pretty much always , new , used does not matter.
It is much tougher to find a Gibson or Fender that works for me ( But I have some of each )

I played a Gibson ES some years ago that was incredible, but I had very little experience at the time so anything would have sounded incredible to me. My buddy said it was a rare bird though and he'd never part with it. He used to gig it regularly but it's in really super condition. Not road worn hardly at all so he was very particular about how he looked after it. I'm actually surprised he handed it to me while he tweaked my old RSX. Was a late night and I also got to experience a pedal steel guitar for the first time. Might have been pretty funny to have a recording of what came off of that machine at 2 in the morning after God knows how many whatevers we were drinking...sure seemed pretty stellar to my ears haha.

Back