Experience PRS 2012 Artist Announcement

I know it is difficult for younger musicians to understand, but most older guitarists do not care for modern rock. For them, guitar pretty much went on a downhill spiral after "Nevermore" was released. If given their choice between John McLaughlin and Mark Tremonti, most would pick John McLaughlin. Older guitarists tend be more technically-oriented than younger guitarists because they cut their teeth when guitar was a lot more technically-oriented than it is today, and John McLaughlin is a technician's technician. Few guitarists will ever reach his level of prowess.

.Scheduling Opeth to perform on Saturday last year was brilliant because it allowed younger members of the PRS family who are less likely to have extensive leave built up the opportunity to see the band that they cared about seeing. While older members of the PRS family may have slightly impaired hearing, we are not completely deaf. If I had a dollar for every time that I heard a young person at Experience 2010 complain about the weekend being too blues-rock/classic rock oriented, I would have walked away from the event with pockets full of money.

With that said, Mark Tremonti has to been really down to earth with Experience attendees in the past. I especially like the story about Mark making beer runs for a few BaMmers. I also appreciate the effort that he has put forth to bring guitar solos back to rock guitar.

I'm 40, and I don't feel at all like this. While I respect what a talent McLaughlin is, I don't think I've spent an hour listening to his music in my lifetime.

Tremonti, on the other hand, I would love to see.

I think 99% of what you said is sheer opinion - and I respect it - but don't necessarily believe it to be as true as you make it. With that being said, its always a good time - both performance wise and of course simply our time to bond with fellow PRS lovers.

I believe that I have a pretty darn good handle on the music that my generation prefers to hear. What percentage of the musicians that you personally know are over forty years of age? If we increase the lower bound to over fifty years of age, what does the percentage look like? All of the musicians in my peer group are over forty years of age, and more than half are over fifty years of age. Not one of these musicians listens to modern rock unless they forced to do so by their children.

What I am trying to say here is that a smart business targets its audience. Experience PRS is a three-day sales pitch. From my experience, Signature Club members tend to be forty-plus years of age. While twenty-something and thirty-something Signature Club members do exist, they are easily outnumbered by the graying crowd. Having Mark Tremonti play on Thursday is a lost opportunity because his music does not resonate with Baby Boomers and most early Gen-Xers. Mark Tremonti will not experience the bounce that Davy Knowles experienced with Baby Boomers because Davy sounds like he is straight out of the early seventies. Like the Rival Sons, Davy's music puts a big smile on the faces of people who grew up in the sixties and seventies.

Note: PRS Marketing/Artist relations, if you are listening, you need to bring Scott Holiday and Robin Everhart of the Rival Sons into the PRS family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 40, and I don't feel at all like this. While I respect what a talent McLaughlin is, I don't think I've spent an hour listening to his music in my lifetime.

Tremonti, on the other hand, I would love to see.

That makes sense because you are not Baby Boomer. Your generation was responsible for ushering in the modern rock movement.

I am an early fifty-something, and I feel like a youngster at Signature Club events. I can safely say that the majority of the Signature Club members that I have encountered are either Baby Boomers or people who were born at the tail end of the Silent Generation.

I work with a lot of guys replete with technical knowledge. They tend to be socially inept.

Hans:

You are a better man than that comment makes you appear. Attack the message, not the messenger! Character assassination is a sign that one has lost the argument.

Well, i guess the line-up must adhere to the artists' schedules and imho it is awesome. Remember that it is a FREE event and that we should be grateful that it exists at all. I'm currently trying everything to make it happen to attend this year and one of the main reasons is Mark. I had the opportunity to chat with him before and he's just such a cool aproachable guy. I think that it's great that his appearance is made possible.

I admit that i love AB and his solo record. And i'm 35 :)

I am mostly looking forward to Mark, love Alter Bridge and Marks solo record is phenominal!! I'm 45 and I enjoy the heavier stuff but I also enjoy all the artists that perform every year. Prs covers a huge pallett of music every year and let us mingle with the folks and play in the factory....one of the highlights of my year...can't wait

Remember that it is a FREE event and that we should be grateful that it exists at all.

It's not a free event for Signature Club members. Signature Club members pay $60.00 for the privilege of attending the Signature Club-only event.

It's not a free event for Signature Club members. Signature Club members pay $60.00 for the privilege of attending the Signature Club-only event.

That's right, i habe been a member as well and will probably renew. But still, why does the sig club event always have to be the same? Last year was probably more suited to the general sig club average age, this year it's a bit more to younger members. Boils down to taste, which we can obviously discuss about without end ;)

I understand your argument btw, it's just a done deal, so let's just look forward to it. Still very much hoping to make it this year.

If you can go, have fun and i hope you'll have a good time despite the modern rock thing :D

Last edited:
That makes sense because you are not Baby Boomer. Your generation was responsible for ushering in the modern rock movement.

I am an early fifty-something, and I feel like a youngster at Signature Club events. I can safely say that the majority of the Signature Club members that I have encountered are either Baby Boomers or people who were born at the tail end of the Silent Generation.

Well, I'm happy to be considered a "younger" musician. Makes me feel better about turning 40. ;)

I will say this--keep an open mind about seeing Tremonti, he's an outstanding guitarist.

Perhaps PRS is hoping to encourage younger musicians to join the Signature Club.

Last edited:
Each year there seems to be someone who is upset about what artists are playing and whatever night they are playing. I REALLY appreciate the weekend and consider it a bit tacky to make these kind of comments. In this market, I'm really glad PRS is still putting on this weekend.

Also ... I'm 66 and enjoy listening to Mark ...

Thursday night is about renewing old friendships, starting new ones, havng a bite/brew, lengthening the Experience by one day ... and listening to music ...

Each year there seems to be someone who is upset about what artists are playing and whatever night they are playing. I REALLY appreciate the weekend and consider it a bit tacky to make these kind of comments. In this market, I'm really glad PRS is still putting on this weekend.

Also ... I'm 66 and enjoy listening to Mark ...

Thursday night is about renewing old friendships, starting new ones, havng a bite/brew, lengthening the Experience by one day ... and listening to music ...

Well put. I get the argument and sentiment, but geez, we're talking about a large event put on here. Shawn already said they appreciate any time(whenever they can) they can play. I'm just happy that PRS puts this on and that I can actually make it this year. How bout we stop the arguing on something like this?

I believe that I have a pretty darn good handle on the music that my generation prefers to hear. What percentage of the musicians that you personally know are over forty years of age? If we increase the lower bound to over fifty years of age, what does the percentage look like? All of the musicians in my peer group are over forty years of age, and more than half are over fifty years of age. Not one of these musicians listens to modern rock unless they forced to do so by their children.

Wow. You "believe" you have a handle on what "your" generation prefers to hear. Really? I'd say you have a bunch of closed-minded geezers for friends.

I know it is difficult for younger musicians to understand, but most older guitarists do not care for modern rock. For them, guitar pretty much went on a downhill spiral after "Nevermore" was released. If given their choice between John McLaughlin and Mark Tremonti, most would pick John McLaughlin.

Seriously? Do you know "most" older guitarists? Were you elected to speak for them? Having (and stating) your own opinion is fine, but why do you feel the need to make sweeping generalizations that are supported by nothing more than opinion and alleged anecdotal evidence?

I'd like to respond to some comments before I get this thread back on track...

(Mod Hat off)

Hans: You are a better man than that comment makes you appear.
Which comment are you referring to? I said "I work with a lot of guys replete with technical knowledge. They tend to be socially inept"?

What is it about that comment that makes you think I was speaking to you? And how does that reflect poorly one me?

Attack the message, not the messenger!
I assumed that the message originated from the messenger -- making you the proverbial horses... ummm... mouth. I didn't realize you were just the errand boy.

:rolleyes:

On the off chance you did, in fact, hold the monthly meeting of "Cranky Old Guys Who Want You Off Their Lawn" then you have my sincere apologies.

Character assassination is a sign that one has lost the argument.
I guess I didn't realize this was an argument. I deliberately made a blanket statement (about the Dynamicists on my team) that I can't quantify. If you have decided that my generalization applies to you, that's your business.

Given your 3 attempts to respond to me (I like the 1st 2 better, BTW), I'm guessing you didn't get the point of the post. Doubtless, as you choke on my hook, you get it now.

Your comments are tacky, condescending to younger members of this community, and have the potential to insult PRS Artists who really don't deserve it. Telling you as much (which I'll happily do in person when I see you in September) isn't character assassination; not by a long shot. Please stop being such a Drama Queen.

(Mod hat back on)

I would like to invite everyone to re-read the PRS Sig Club benefits list. Click here.

If you are among the few who aren't happy about the line-up at the Sig Club this year, I suggest waiting to renew your membership next year - if at all. Once the line-up is announced, you can decide whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze.

If you signed-up BEFORE the line-up was announced and are now unhappy with the Artist(s) and/or their performance date, please remember that none of the things you signed up for come with a promise to present specific artists at specific dates and times - pending membership approval. Complaining about the Artist(s) performing at the Sig Club event is like trying to return a partially-winning lottery ticket as defective.

I love the Sig event....I don't care who's playing. Good gutiar is good gutiar in my opinion. I'm glad to pay the $60 bucks...t-shirt, strings, and music?! Oh yeah....

Back