Experience PRS 2012 Artist Announcement

On the off chance you did, in fact, hold the monthly meeting of "Cranky Old Guys Who Want You Off Their Lawn" then you have my sincere apologies.

It was more like the monthly meeting of "Cranky Old Guys Want You Off Their Lawn" because they are so cheap that they squeak. :)

Truth be told, my sole reason for joining the Signature Club was to be able to attend the Signature Club event at Experience. The Signature Club line-up in 2009 piqued my interest enough to hand over the membership fee, as I have zero interest in receiving the quarterly publication or the swag. I was on the fence about renewing my membership this year because of the almost non-existent Signature Club event in 2010 coupled with the fact that I did not enjoy 2011's Signature Club performance enough to justify the expense. However, I decided to roll the dice again and take a chance on this year's Signature Club event.

With that said, I personally believe that PRS should announce the Signature Club headliner when they announce Experience because the Signature Club event is not free. I know that I am not the only member who renews his/her Signature Club membership for the sole purpose of being able to attend the Signature Club event. I would gladly give up the swag and the publication in return for knowing who is going to be the headliner at the time that Experience is announced. I am positive that a much larger number of twenty-something and thirty-something PRS owners would have joined the Signature Club this year had they known that Mark Tremonti was going to be the headliner instead of someone who they consider to be a fossil.

It was more like the monthly meeting of "Cranky Old Guys Want You Off Their Lawn" because they are so cheap that they squeak. :)

Truth be told, my sole reason for joining the Signature Club was to be able to attend the Signature Club event at Experience. The Signature Club line-up in 2009 piqued my interest enough to hand over the membership fee, as I have zero interest in receiving the quarterly publication or the swag. I was on the fence about renewing my membership this year because of the almost non-existent Signature Club event in 2010 coupled with the fact that I did not enjoy 2011's Signature Club performance enough to justify the expense. However, I decided to roll the dice again and take a chance on this year's Signature Club event.

With that said, I personally believe that PRS should announce the Signature Club headliner when they announce Experience because the Signature Club event is not free. I know that I am not the only member who renews his/her Signature Club membership for the sole purpose of being able to attend the Signature Club event. I would gladly give up the swag and the publication in return for knowing who is going to be the headliner at the time that Experience is announced. I am positive that a much larger number of twenty-something and thirty-something PRS owners would have joined the Signature Club this year had they known that Mark Tremonti was going to be the headliner instead of someone who they consider to be a fossil.
So, again, I find your logic on the whole discussion to be based on false assumptions - which is why I asked people to review the list of things PRS offers with the Sig Club membership package. It is true that the Sig Club events are not free because you paid to be a member. But what you are commenting on (the performers on the schedule AT the events) was not detailed as a perq of joining. As such, you are making a leap of logic when you assert that the performances were part of the $60 fee. That isn't true. NO performances were promised - only admission to the events (when scheduled) was promised.

Nowhere on the list of Sig Club benefits (click here) do they guarantee live or recorded performances - much less specific performers. While they have done it anyway (call it a gift) I think it is unreasonable to be given the inch and try to take the mile. That said, I think it is completely reasonable for people who sign-up for the Sig Club specifically for the Sig Event at Experience to wait until the schedule is announced before spending their $60.

To reiterate...

Signature Club Benefits
  • Member Welcome Pack - includes “Members Only” Signature Club t-shirt, strings, guitar picks, Member Certificate, PRS lanyard, PRS Signature magazine, Signature Club truss rod cover (will be shipped 6-8 weeks after enrollment)
  • 10% off on all accessories in PRS Accessory Shop
    US Signature Club members only
  • Subscription to Signature Club e-newsletter which includes special features as well as “Paul’s Tech Tips”
  • Admission to future “Members Only” sessions as they are scheduled
  • 25% off all online Mel Bay purchases*
  • $60 plus shipping & handling
  • *Signature Club Members outside of the US must call in their order to receive discount.

Last edited:
So, again, I find your logic on the whole discussion to be based on false assumptions - which is why I asked people to review the list of things PRS offers with the Sig Club membership package. It is true that the Sig Club events are not free because you paid to be a member. But what you are commenting on (the performers on the schedule AT the events) was not detailed as a perq of joining. As such, you are making a leap of logic when you assert that the performances were part of the $60 fee. That isn't true. NO performances were promised - only admission to the events (when scheduled) was promised.

Nowhere on the list of Sig Club benefits (click here) do they guarantee live or recorded performances - much less specific performers. While they have done it anyway (call it a gift) I think it is unreasonable to be given the inch and try to take the mile. That said, I think it is completely reasonable for people who sign-up for the Sig Club specifically for the Sig Event at Experience to wait until the schedule is announced before spending their $60.

To reiterate...

Signature Club Benefits
  • Member Welcome Pack - includes “Members Only” Signature Club t-shirt, strings, guitar picks, Member Certificate, PRS lanyard, PRS Signature magazine, Signature Club truss rod cover (will be shipped 6-8 weeks after enrollment)
  • Subscription to Signature Club e-newsletter which includes special features as well as “Paul’s Tech Tips”
  • *Signature Club Members outside of the US must call in their order to receive discount.

The Signature Club event at Experience may not be an enumerated benefit, but, like it or not, it is the only reason why many people join and continue to be a member of the Signature Club. Interest in the Signature Club increases when PRS announces that there will be a special members-only evening at Experience. Failure to hold a proper Signature Club event at Experience would result in a sizable decline in the member base.

Do you recall the number of people on BaM who stated that they were not planning to renew their Signature Club memberships after Experience 2010? Do you also recall the spike in the number BaMmers who joined the Signature Club last year because PRS brought the event back to Experience? The same spike in interest in the Signature Club occurred this year when PRS announced that there would be a special members-only night at Experience.

The Signature Club event at Experience may not be an enumerated benefit, but, like it or not, it is the only reason why many people join and continue to be a member of the Signature Club.
I agree. The Sig Club event is the only reason some people join. I'll say a 3rd time -- I think it is completely reasonable for those people to wait until the performances and/or performers are announced with a schedule before they renew their membership.

But to expect something no one ever promised implies a level of entitlement that I find incredibly hard to to stomach.

Interest in the Signature Club increases when PRS announces that there will be a special members-only evening at Experience.
While I can't quantify any support for that statement (nor can you) I believe you're probably correct on this point.

Failure to hold a proper Signature Club event at Experience would result in a sizable decline in the member base.
Probably. But then you'll have differences of opinion on what constitutes a "proper" event. No good deed will ever go unpunished.

Either way, you agreed to pay $60 for admission to Sig Club events (when they are schedule). You were never promised live performances by bona fide rockstars on "demographically appropriate" dates.

Do you recall the number of people on BaM who stated that they were not planning to renew their Signature Club memberships after Experience 2010?
I don't.

Do you also recall the spike in the number BaMmers who joined the Signature Club last year because PRS brought the event back to Experience?
I don't. But I do recall the number of people who were bummed they didn't get to see Carlos and Buddy Guy in a remarkably intimate venue.

I assume the "spike" you're referring to is based on your perception? Or did you get to see some data from PRS? Did you capture the comments into some spreadsheet we can see? Look, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on this point but I am think it's fair to make sure people who read this stuff don't confuse opinions with facts.

The same spike in interest in the Signature Club occurred this year when PRS announced that there would be a special members-only night at Experience.
What "spike in interest" are you referring to? Again... data?

FACTS:
1) You aren't a PRS employee and you have no access to hard numbers to include dempographic data on Sig Club members
2) You paid for a membership that offered specific perqs - which you agreed to before you spent the $
3) When you got something MORE than the perq you were offered, you lodged a complaint in the court of public opinion that the extra benefit you received (that you were never promised) wasn't to your taste

So here's the deal, Em7 (again, I'm sorry I don't remember your name)... I can't stand it when people fail to commit to their complaints. So let's put this to bed, shall we? I will personally give you $60 in cash on the 1st day of the Experience. In return, give me all of the schwag you got when you signed up for the Sig Club this year (assuming you haven't worn the shirt or used the strings). AND... you agree to be absent from the Sig Club event the night before.

To reiterate...

Signature Club Benefits

Don't forget, you get one of these...

monly2.jpg

I join the sig club for the subscription to the PRS Signature magazine - that along is worth the price. Factor in a shirt, strings, certificate, discount on Mel Bay stuff (great products) and trussrod Cover I don't understand how we're arguing about the price's worth going ONLY to the Sig Club Event :\

I don't.

I don't. But I do recall the number of people who were bummed they didn't get to see Carlos and Buddy Guy in a remarkably intimate venue.

I assume the "spike" you're referring to is based on your perception? Or did you get to see some data from PRS? Did you capture the comments into some spreadsheet we can see? Look, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on this point but I am think it's fair to make sure people who read this stuff don't confuse opinions with facts.

What "spike in interest" are you referring to? Again... data?

I received information informally from the Sullivan Group when I called to see if the lapse in renewing my membership was going to affect my Experience registration. The women with whom I spoke did not provide hard numbers, but she did mention that there were new membership/renewal spikes in 2011 and 2012 after Experience was announced. The correlation may be purely coincidental. Many people may naturally register at that time of the year. However, it is logical to assume that some people do wait until Experience has been announced to join or renew, which tells me that they are joining to gain access to the event.

FACTS:
1) You aren't a PRS employee and you have no access to hard numbers to include dempographic data on Sig Club members

I am working merely from an observed ratio of graying/gray to non-gray heads at the Signature Club event. Outside of performers, themike is the youngest guy that I have met at a Signature Club event that was not there with his parents.

So let's put this to bed, shall we? I will personally give you $60 in cash on the 1st day of the Experience. In return, give me all of the schwag you got when you signed up for the Sig Club this year (assuming you haven't worn the shirt or used the strings). AND... you agree to be absent from the Sig Club event the night before.

I did not stay for Opeth last year. Why would I come to see a band or performer that I have no interest in seeing? It's not like I am flying in from halfway across the country or world. I can drive to the factory in less than ninety minutes without traffic. Sure, I am unhappy about the situation, but the money is spent.

A word of advice to anyone who is thinking about joining the Signature Club to gain access to the members-only event at Experience is that you should seriously consider what Hans has enumerated as the true benefits of being a member of the program. If the enumerated benefits are not enough of an incentive to join, I would take a pass. I never had any interest in the swag or the publication (I prefer to read Wood & Steel, which I receive for free for being a registered Taylor owner). My sole reason for joining the Signature Club and renewing my membership was to gain access to the Signature Club event, which is clearly the wrong way to go about it.

I did not stay for Opeth last year. Why would I come to see a band or performer that I have no interest in seeing? It's not like I am flying in from halfway across the country or world. I can drive to the factory in less than ninety minutes without traffic. Sure, I am unhappy about the situation, but the money is spent.

A word of advice to anyone who is thinking about joining the Signature Club to gain access to the members-only event at Experience is that you should seriously consider what Hans has enumerated as the true benefits of being a member of the program. If the enumerated benefits are not enough of an incentive to join, I would take a pass. I never had any interest in the swag or the publication (I prefer to read Wood & Steel, which I receive for free for being a registered Taylor owner). My sole reason for joining the Signature Club and renewing my membership was to gain access to the Signature Club event, which is clearly the wrong way to go about it.

Just wow ... Now you've gone from tacky to rude and classless. It is seems that you haven't made any forum friends from around the country (or world) that you might want to meet up with Thursday. It certainly wouldn't be interesting to be able to spend some one on one time with Doug Sewell at a less crowded gathering? Now that you won't be there, wouldn't it be wonderful if we had a surprise artist, like the year Carlos and Buddy were there. Sorry you won't be there ...

Hans ... you have shown great restraint ...

I join the sig club for the subscription to the PRS Signature magazine - that along is worth the price. Factor in a shirt, strings, certificate, discount on Mel Bay stuff (great products) and trussrod Cover I don't understand how we're arguing about the price's worth going ONLY to the Sig Club Event :\

The stuff that PRS includes in the membership other than the t-shirt, strings, and guitar picks is useless junk that only serves to clutter one's house. Mel Bay products are much cheaper through Amazon. The publication pales in comparison to Wood & Steel, which is free to all registered Taylor owners. Wood & Steel has real guitar-maker related content. Signature Magazine is mostly artist-related fluff.

The stuff that PRS includes in the membership other than the t-shirt, strings, and guitar picks is useless junk that only serves to clutter one's house. Mel Bay products are much cheaper through Amazon. The publication pales in comparison to Wood & Steel, which is free to all registered Taylor owners. Wood & Steel has real guitar-maker related content. Signature Magazine is mostly artist-related fluff.
:rolleyes: Aaaaalright then...

Moving on...

I am really looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks! I promised myself I'd actually watch some of the acts this year instead of jaw-jackin' with guys the whole time - but there's a lot to discuss this year!

Anyone taking bets on the rest of the AB guys showing up with Mark?

My sole reason for joining the Signature Club and renewing my membership was to gain access to the Signature Club event, which is clearly the wrong way to go about it.
Clearly.

Hey PRS, I was really hoping for a different style Sig Club t-shirt. I really liked the style of that black shirt that just had birds across the front. That was really a cool shirt. And could you supply me with my custom gauge strings...11 14 18 36 52 60. Would be a lot more useful for me. Green tortex picks with my name printed on them would be great.

Would be really nice if Paul would wash and dry my t-shirt before it arrives. I like after the rain scented detergent and outdoor breeze fabric softener sheets. The new t-shirt smell kinda bugs me.

Ok, that last item isn't necessary. That would just be piling on. :)

:rolleyes: Aaaaalright then...

Moving on...

I am really looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks! I promised myself I'd actually watch some of the acts this year instead of jaw-jackin' with guys the whole time - but there's a lot to discuss this year!

Anyone taking bets on the rest of the AB guys showing up with Mark?
Would LOVE for Myles to come! Love his playing as well as his voice.

Would LOVE for Myles to come! Love his playing as well as his voice.

Most likely you'll see Brian as he play's bass for the Tremonti band. Doubtful of Myles as Slash plays in Atlanta, Ga on the 12th and Alantic City, NJ on the 14th. Possible but extremely unlikely.

One of the other perks to the signature club is when Paul and folks from the factory do special apperances at stores around the country...not all are just for sig members...but some are.

One of the other perks to the signature club is when Paul and folks from the factory do special apperances at stores around the country...not all are just for sig members...but some are.
I've been to a few non-sig events, really cool events to go to.

That would be awesome if Myles and Slash showed up!!

Wouldn't that be amazing.

I'm also hoping for Nugent to show up one of these years. To see Ted and Derek do Stranglehold (together) would be a check-mark on the old musical bucketlist.

Back