EXP XXXV: Private Stock Build

I’d start with this top (and while I know JM won’t let me ;), maybe a Silver Sky so it wouldn’t lose that cool book match).

Black BRW neck
Black ebony FB
Black swamp ash back with white grain filler.
Love that!

I went through an opaque phase, I mean I still kinda am in it but, the last Santana I bought has got me back on the maple tip.

Yeah it's fun to have both. You've seen my yellow S Style..
The purple CU is awesome.
Love the gold top look

Would love a straight up black or white McCarty.

I did have a black with maple neck 88ish CE. That was badass.
As well as a hollowflake all 'hog CE24. Baby blue 86 Std, red std...

Ahhh good times....

Last edited:
I need a gold Santana.

There was a gold top Santana on Reverb a few weeks ago that had my wife, Dee, and myself all hot in the pants for a few days, but we all chickened out.

Then the picture of Carlos on the PRS Instagram account for his birthday.... sh!t. That looked incredible.

You know, it’s ridiculous I don’t have a legit GT yet.

Would love a straight up black or white McCarty.

There was a white McCarty Standard Soapbar on eBay that I fantasized over for years. The pics were so dope! It was in a glass atrium with greenery all round outside, and had creme soapbar covers on it.

Dude wanted way too much for it, but it was such a solid look.

@vchizzle has a rad looking white Mac that he had refinished as well.

I need a gold Santana.

How about a trip to the U.K. to pick this one up????? It's not gold, but it is hot!

H6PIpzO.jpg

I’ve thought about this thread for days. I could put a build together but I get depressed trying to make decisions on it since I put the order in.
There was a gold top Santana on Reverb a few weeks ago that had my wife, Dee, and myself all hot in the pants for a few days, but we all chickened out.

Then the picture of Carlos on the PRS Instagram account for his birthday.... sh!t. That looked incredible.

You know, it’s ridiculous I don’t have a legit GT yet.

There was a white McCarty Standard Soapbar on eBay that I fantasized over for years. The pics were so dope! It was in a glass atrium with greenery all round outside, and had creme soapbar covers on it.

Dude wanted way too much for it, but it was such a solid look.

@vchizzle has a rad looking white Mac that he had refinished as well.
Still have it. I’ve considered selling it but it’s just such great sounding, solid an reliable guitar. I’d take too big of hit selling and the big dinger wouldn’t help either. I feel bad it doesn’t get much play time anymore.

Still have it. I’ve considered selling it but it’s just such great sounding, solid an reliable guitar. I’d take too big of hit selling and the big dinger wouldn’t help either. I feel bad it doesn’t get much play time anymore.

I think it’s badass.

SC 594
Frostbite glow micro burst
Maple binding on neck stained to match top
Taped body “binding” stained to match top
Peruvian hog neck and hog body w/dog hair finish w/matching back plates
Ebony fretboard and headstock veneer
Ebony pickup rings/switch tip
Black chrome hardware
5708 neck/5909 bridge

I can’t remember the name of the inlay material but it kinda looks like white marble.

SC 594
Frostbite glow micro burst
Maple binding on neck stained to match top
Taped body “binding” stained to match top
Peruvian hog neck and hog body w/dog hair finish w/matching back plates
Ebony fretboard and headstock veneer
Ebony pickup rings/switch tip
Black chrome hardware
5708 neck/5909 bridge

I can’t remember the name of the inlay material but it kinda looks like white marble.

Totally would!

After review, I essentially just built a custom colored core guitar. Assuming I’m dropping the bread on this, that seems silly, given my lack extra bread laying around. So, let’s do something more original...

-Singlecut thickness double cut body
-High contrast charcoal quilt(see @GTRMAV example) with trans micro burst
-High figured hog back dog hair finish, matching back plates
-Maple neck(regular neck carve) - needs to be smooth and satin, stained to match the top OR maybe roasted maple
-24.594 scale, 25 if they can’t do 594 on a regular carve
-ebony or Blackwood board with those birds I mentioned earlier(wtf is that material called?)
Headstock veneer to match
-DGT/594 electronics -toggle switch in 594 position, 4 knobs in DGT layout V(neck),V(bridge),T(neck),T(bridge) + 2 mini toggles to coil tap each pickup located slightly closer to tone knobs than the volume in “the crest” of knobs. Probably have to move the last tone knob that is in the spot of the normal DGT switch so the spacing is even
-5707 neck/5909 bridge
-Paul’s bridge and an adjustable stoptail in case I need to swap out for weird string gauges and alternate tunings
-black chrome hardware

There. Now I feel I got my money’s worth with functionality and originality!

Last edited:
While I love your imagination and concept, and it is cool stuff, it also would be an...

And I haven’t seen, nor do I expect to see Lignum Vitae neck blanks in the vault. Just sayin’.

Note: Arguably the world’s heaviest wood at 80 lbs per cubic foot. One of the few woods that sink in water.

And the only real wood likely to spark when you cut it!

I have been thinking REALLY hard about this, because it might actually be time to seriously consider a PS order. Until now I haven't been able to conceive of an idea that a Core model doesn't satisfy. As I have been getting back into playing harder, more "metal" edged music, I have myself hankering for a Jackson or Charvel again - something that I can do "stunt guitar" tricks with easier.

The other day I had a writing session with my singer, and I pulled my Brent Mason out of the gear closet. The track we wrote and demo'd was the Brent Mason and the 594. That's when it hit me. How about a combo of the two, mixed in with some of my favorite specs from when I played CS Jacksons???

The guitar - my potential PS. Feedback is appreciated.

Model - Private Stock Brent Mason
Body Type - Solid, McCarty 594 Thickness, Trem uprouting
Top Wood - Red Cedar
Body Wood - Mahogany
Finish Type - High Gloss Poly
Finish Color - Natural
Back Finish - Natural
Neck Wood - Set Mahogany
Fingerboard - Macassar Ebony
Neck Carve - Pattern Vintage
Scale Length - 24.594
Neck Radius - 10 Inch
Frets - 22
Inlays - Abalone Small Brushstroke Birds
Side Dots - Ivoroid
Headstock - Abalone Large Signature Inlay, No Truss Rod Cover, Macassar Ebony Overlay
Neck Pickup - 305
Middle Pickup - N/A
Bridge Pickup - Uncovered 57/08, Cream ring
Hardware - Hybrid
Bridge - PRS Gen III Tremolo
Tuners - Phase III Locking Tuner
Controls - Volume, Tone, 3-way
Case - Dark Paisley PRS Case

Last edited:
Back