Excessive incoming calls?

The thread bump is such a model of what’s to come.

I used to enjoy wasting telemarketers’ time. Slowly sucking them into increasingly ridiculous stories, while weaving in questions about their products. A cable TV salesman got to hear about my depressing situation. Perhaps more channels could fill the void of my wife and twin daughters dying? The car stalled on a train track crossing. We chose a home on the wrong side of the tracks, I guess. It’s nothing compared to how a lady in my grief group lost her son. He was trying to fix the garbage disposal. Had his hand in there when it started up, and it just chewed through his whole arm. Told the fellow that I couldn’t take it anymore, and that his call had finally convinced me to check out. Yeah, make that next call, buddy.

Now I just delight in telling them how they’ll be out of a job in the near future, when they’ll be replaced by AI-synthesized voices. My mother’s voice will call me to say I need new window’s. But at least that scumbag cold calling during dinner will be out of a job.

I've been surprised how often when I answer, they don't say anything. What was the point of calling? If I don't answer, they never leave a message.
They are fishing for live ones. Often using computers. Once they get an answer, you go on the live list and will get a bunch of live callers.

If you've got an iPhone, there is a way to block incoming calls that aren't within your contacts list. With Android, not so sure.
Scammers will find a way around that. IPhone isn't as secure as people want to believe.

Anyone else here getting an abundance of calls from who knows who? It was really bad late last year, seemed to taper down to the point of nothing in January and now it's slowly ramping back up. I never answer these calls and they never leave a message, but I think I now have more blocked numbers in my phone than actual contacts. Whoever they are they're no doubt asking for money for one thing or another and I'm sure most are total scams.

Mail too. Can't believe how many charities and political organizations want money these days. I'm not rich by any means but I do give here and there to established local food banks but that's it. All the rest goes right into my paper shredder.
Yes, alot of scammers.

Unfortunately there's no way to block them these days, because they are going to great legnths to come up with new ways to scam. They are now using free wifi phone calling apps which you can get assigned numbers for a certain providence. This means that they buy info from companies and then acquire a number that is shown to be your location, it's getting a bit trickier.

Don't answer anything you don't recognize, someone impersonating a cop (sheriff) called the other day they knew the area well, the Caller ID read Public service" with a local number, when I said I will call the police department and talk to a few people, they cursed me out and hung up. It was revealed later that they were actually from India. I was pretty amazed at how much effort they put into the scam because it seemed very real at first (American accents and all).

In short, YouTube, Amazon, Google, Facebook, this forum and wherever else you've logged in are selling your info. It will only get worse from here for people.

If you've got an iPhone, there is a way to block incoming calls that aren't within your contacts list. With Android, not so sure.
I've been using this feature for a few years now and it works great. It sends them straight to voice mail and 99% never leave a message.

Back