Ever take a break from a guitar and then fall in love with it again?

One Sunday at our church our pastor asked me what I thought was God's gift for me. I said, "I'm not really sure". My wife spoke up and said "You should hear him play guitar and sing". I looked at her and said jokingly, "You think I could hold your head under water for a couple minutes". To this Pastor replied, "I want to see that guitar in church next Sunday". Well, I had an old Strat that was setting in the closet drawing dust and never played and I didn't take it to church next week. Pastor immediately asked "Where is that guitar?' I said next week. Knowing he wasn't gonna let me off the hook, I thought I will take it one time and play with the Worship Band and I had a blast. My chops were really bad but I suddenly got interested again and now I have a Nashville Tele, a Strat, an Ovation, and my new PRS SE Custom 24 and I am playing as a regular Worship Band member and I can't put it down again. But I am enjoying this much more than all the music I ever played before. This seems so much more fulfilling cause there is no Road work, I'm home, no drugs, no booze, and I'm happier than ever.

Playing in a worship band can be a lot of fun. It does not take you away from family, there is no smoking, atmosphere is positive and there is no traveling. It took me a while to get used to in ears but as long as i can control my volume in the mix I am happy. Just started going to a new church and I cant wait to play with the worship band.

The only guitar I fell out of love with and stopped playing was my ‘65 SG Special, once I got my first PRS in ‘91. I never really picked it up again, except out of sheer nostalgia, and when I did the nostalgia thing, I remembered why I got a PRS. ;)

Edit: I can truly appreciate the idea of a vintage guitar, but I’m a guy who likes modern instruments more. PRSes have spoiled me.

Last edited:
It happened with my Larrivée 1990 C-19 acoustic. Took a break from playing acoustic guitar then I decided to re-learn my old fingerstyle pieces and realized what a gem I have.

Back