Ever take a break from a guitar and then fall in love with it again?

Revelation

In the past year I purchased a new guitar and just loved it. I played it a lot, and recording with it as well. I played my other guitars once in a while except for one. I just was not into the sound it provided.

However last week week I took it out again, changed the strings and it was like playing a new guitar again. Felt great, looked great and sounded even better. Anyone else go through something similar? The brands are not important but the guitar is.

Yep. Pretty much everytime I switch out whatever I'm playing for the next one. Currently I'm playing and loving my CE24 Semi Hollow. I haven't played my P22 in a while, so the plan is to switch out the CE for the P next time I go to play.

All the time! I’m in a neverending revolving loop of falling in love all over again.

My latest repeat crush:
0MGnroJ.jpg
dKjth6Q.jpg

Last edited:
I recently played my 71 Mustang, after thinking about trading it in. It was so much easier to play than I remembered, it certainly sounds different from my PRS and my Ibanez AS-83.

I could almost swear too, that my workhorse guitar which is a simple Epiphone LP, has gotten more resonant and tone-filled over the years! It’s weird!

All the time! I’m in a neverending revolving loop of falling in love all over again.

My latest repeat crush:
0MGnroJ.jpg
dKjth6Q.jpg

Aaaaahhhh. (Contented sigh)!

I’ve had to take a short break over the last couple of weeks, due to a recurring back issue.

So I picked up one of mine the other day, and it feels good to get back to it even after just a small time away.

I was in a toxic band last year which really put a downer on my will to play, but they are long gone now and I'm loving playing again.

My AxeFX & first set of monitors I got at home recently have also been a HUGE source of inspiration and dedication to playing.
This along with hanging guitars on my wall a few months back so they are always out and ready. (rotated, but usually 4 are out at least).

So yes, basically, I'm loving playing at the moment, after a kind of break. I hope this feeling never ends.
Look at this beautiful mess:
70047952_113560763355405_4705729242613825551_n.jpg

Yeah, when you make your fun into business, it can become anything but fun. That’s why I’d take a fun band of brothers that doesn’t play out over a heavy gigging bunch of d-bags any day. Been both directions and know how much it can suck.

The only other big break I took was when we started raising a family. Five years of cold-turkey nothing, then slowly dropped back into rotation at a much slower pace.

Definitely. My first "real" PRS is my CU24. Literally every spec that I had wanted for 1/2 my life at the time: CU24, Matteo Blue, Natural Back, Birds, and Brazilian Edition (Cherry on top).

I acquired a few others and while I've always and always will love that CU24 it fell out of favor for a little bit. I picked it up a month or two ago and now I never want to put it down. It stays at the top of the pile in the rotation now :D

iw8e55J.jpg

I took a break from music after I retired for almost 25 years and never even touched one. That was when I was 47 years old. Just got tired of being always gone on the road and missing out on so much of my families life. I never went around where there was live music ever cause I was afraid I would miss it so much that I would get back in that vein agian. I went to work for MGM/Mirage Corp in Las Vegas and retired from there after 24 years and was looking for a hobby to keep myself busy. One Sunday at our church our pastor asked me what I thought was God's gift for me. I said, "I'm not really sure". My wife spoke up and said "You should hear him play guitar and sing". I looked at her and said jokingly, "You think I could hold your head under water for a couple minutes". To this Pastor replied, "I want to see that guitar in church next Sunday". Well, I had an old Strat that was setting in the closet drawing dust and never played and I didn't take it to church next week. Pastor immediately asked "Where is that guitar?' I said next week. Knowing he wasn't gonna let me off the hook, I thought I will take it one time and play with the Worship Band and I had a blast. My chops were really bad but I suddenly got interested again and now I have a Nashville Tele, a Strat, an Ovation, and my new PRS SE Custom 24 and I am playing as a regular Worship Band member and I can't put it down again. But I am enjoying this much more than all the music I ever played before. This seems so much more fulfilling cause there is no Road work, I'm home, no drugs, no booze, and I'm happier than ever.

I've done the opposite. I've come back to a guitar I liked after having not played in in a long time and then thought "Yuck! What the hell was I thinking?" and then sold it.

Recently, I elected to be stabbed in the gut 5 times, which came with an order to not lift more than 10 lbs for a month. Someone (name rhymes with Pete) said, “good thing you have that Vela”, which was tremendously true. My love for that guitar was big before but now...wow! No Les Paul of mine has been touched for 1 month +. Damn, that’s a great instrument!

Back