Electro-Harmonix Cock Fight

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
Nice name for a pedal.
EHX is always coming up with strange names.

Last edited by a moderator:
The demo didn't start to sound interesting until he turned down the bias control to simulate a broken-down fuzz.

I'm pretty sure I'd never use the talking filter.

Wow, that is much cooler than I expected. Tell Me Something Good...check it Sergio!

I've always wanted to try the Fulltone Secret Freq. I wouldn't mind checking out them both out in shootout.

Wow, that is much cooler than I expected. Tell Me Something Good...check it Sergio!

I've always wanted to try the Fulltone Secret Freq. I wouldn't mind checking out them both out in shootout.

The Secret Freq is different in concept, really. I had one on my board for a while, and a shootout would be comparing apples and oranges.

Damn I hate this! Every time you get a cool pedal, another cool pedal comes out begging for a tryout.

Damn I hate this! Every time you get a cool pedal, another cool pedal comes out begging for a tryout.

There's really nothing new under the sun. You could do nearly all of what it does with a wah and a fuzz box. You'd be missing the vocal filter, but how many times would you need one?

There's really nothing new under the sun. You could do nearly all of what it does with a wah and a fuzz box. You'd be missing the vocal filter, but how many times would you need one?

Need?? What's that? lol

seriously.... you can't use a pedal unless you have it, right? And if you need the thing just once, then you need it. Or want it. And I find that recently I have a preference for 'deep' pedals that do a lot of stuff well and are a bit unique.

Never.

Until that one time when you do. And you don't have one.

Never.

Until that one time when you do. And you don't have one.

I already have one, on my Eventide H9.

Some eon from now I'll think of something to do with it.

Need?? What's that? lol

seriously.... you can't use a pedal unless you have it, right? And if you need the thing just once, then you need it. Or want it. And I find that recently I have a preference for 'deep' pedals that do a lot of stuff well and are a bit unique.

See my answer, above. The H9 does all that stuff -- actually, it does so much stuff, I had to download the patch lists from the Eventide website because they've added too many to keep track of.

And most of the stuff is absolutely useless except as an "oh, it does that, too?" observation, as one moves on to find a patch that's actually musically useful. I have the Max version, which allows me to have a full collection of musically useless patches, updated to more musically useless patches, forever into infinity or until Eventide stops supporting the pedal, whichever comes sooner.

I probably use a dozen or so patches based on the algorithms on the thing, and even that's a stretch. But it does have the world's best auto-fast-slow Leslie speaker emulation, so I love it. And there are some pitch things, like Crystals from the Ultra Harmonizer, that I like, if the preset is tweaked. I guess I like the Chorus effects, too.

But...well...a talking filter, no. Not something I'm going to ever use. The delays and reverbs are great, but I'm hooked on real tape echo.

And oh yeah, you can hook an expression pedal up to the box and make it have an orgasm. It even makes a satisfied face at the right moment.

Last edited:
I already have one, on my Eventide H9.

Some eon from now I'll think of something to do with it.

But that's just it - you have it, so you'll never need it. By the same token, I just had to have the B9 organ pedal - I knew I needed it. Haven't found something to use it on yet. But until I had it, I needed it.

FWIW, using the EHX organ pedal on such as Booker T (Soul Dressing, Green Onions) and older Stones (ie, Time Is On My Side) material adds a nice texture, assuming there is someone else actually pulling off the GUITAR parts.

It's good that I can actually play the organ, including the above-referenced Booker T and Stones tunes, so that's another pedal I will never need.

But that's just it - you have it, so you'll never need it..
This. Not all of us have the Eventide H9.

And I also play keyboards, and delaying a jam while you try to find the right patch from a list of hundreds often kills the groove. Far better to just have the thing right there where you can click it on, and make adjustments on the fly. And it's just downright FUN to have those sounds available that way.

reading lshefmans posts, I'm kinda glad I'm no longer making a living in the music business. I used to have to concern myself with similar things; I had to be as portable and versatile as possible. Now it's pure joy, so getting an offbeat pedal has nothing to do with 'need'. :)

This. Not all of us have the Eventide H9.

And I also play keyboards, and delaying a jam while you try to find the right patch from a list of hundreds often kills the groove. Far better to just have the thing right there where you can click it on, and make adjustments on the fly. And it's just downright FUN to have those sounds available that way.

reading lshefmans posts, I'm kinda glad I'm no longer making a living in the music business. I used to have to concern myself with similar things; I had to be as portable and versatile as possible. Now it's pure joy, so getting an offbeat pedal has nothing to do with 'need'. :)

Most of the time I'm just kidding around, and poking fun, ya know!

django49 hit it right on the head. I've messed around with guitar synthesizers in stores (never owned one) for decades, and after the novelty of playing Back At The Chicken Shack with a B3 sound wore off, I started thinking, "OK, I can fake keyboard stuff with this thing, but if I'm sounding like a fifth-rate keyboard player, who's going to cover the guitar parts?" I'm a guitar player, can't play keys to save my life, so I'll stick with the guitar. That Digitech Trio pedal is tempting, though, for the next time I have to play with a hack bass player and drummer...

Back