eBay, Reverb, TGP, FaceBook Marketplace...

Reverb's protections have been good for me. Almost all of the transactions have been good, but for the couple that went sideways, Reverb was easy to work with and totally took care of me. I don't like the increased fees, but it's still cheaper than ebay.

Good luck, and I think I know of a group pm that could benefit from some links... :)

Okay so I'm about to sell a Classic Vibe 50s Strat and my Boss ME-80 on Reverb. Does anyone know EXACTLY what percentage Reverb is charging the seller now? I understand the 3.5% to 5% increase but what about all the extra sneaky stuff they seem to always add since this lovely increase has happened?

Obviously the two pieces of gear I'm selling aren't "high ticket" items, but I don't want to get hosed when everything is said and done.

So, has anyone else sold anything since the increase? If so, how much did you add to cover all their little extra fees? Thanks in advance guys.

The selling fee is 5% of the sales and shipping amount.

Payment fees depend on the type of payment. If you accept Reverb payments, the charge is 2.7% + $0.25 per transaction. If using PayPal then whatever the going rate PayPal charges is the fee. If you become a Preferred Seller then Reverb payments are 2.5% + $0.25.

Reverb offers discounted shipping especially for UPS. If you use Reverb shipping, Reverb protection is required for items $1500 or higher. This is the only "extra" fee I have encountered. Except for higher priced items, I have found the protection fee is less than the shipping discount so I am ahead compared to arranging my own shipping using my UPS or FedEx accounts. It is also very easy to ship through Reverb since all of the information is already present and is automatically filled in for you when create the package label (besides the package dimension and weight).

I have not sold or shipped internationally with Reverb so I do not know if there are other fees associated with an international sale.

The selling fee is 5% of the sales and shipping amount.

Payment fees depend on the type of payment. If you accept Reverb payments, the charge is 2.7% + $0.25 per transaction. If using PayPal then whatever the going rate PayPal charges is the fee. If you become a Preferred Seller then Reverb payments are 2.5% + $0.25.

Reverb offers discounted shipping especially for UPS. If you use Reverb shipping, Reverb protection is required for items $1500 or higher. This is the only "extra" fee I have encountered. Except for higher priced items, I have found the protection fee is less than the shipping discount so I am ahead compared to arranging my own shipping using my UPS or FedEx accounts. It is also very easy to ship through Reverb since all of the information is already present and is automatically filled in for you when create the package label (besides the package dimension and weight).

I have not sold or shipped internationally with Reverb so I do not know if there are other fees associated with an international sale.

Hey! Thanks a bunch @MoggyMel! That's exactly what I needed to know. I greatly appreciate the info.

I've had no bad experiences selling on VR, TGP, or eBay, when I want to convert gear into cash. But if I'm just after another piece of gear, I'll do a trade-in if it's anywhere near reasonable, because I tend to get a bit anxious when I'm an online seller. Since I haven't had any negative experiences, I can't explain the anxiety.

Sold several expensive guitars the past years on Reverb and eBay, no major problem so far.
I make it clear the guitars are sold as described and returns aren't possible. That gets rid of buyers who buy/return just for the sake of trying guitars, I'd rather let those abuse the overly generous return policies of Guitar Center/Sweetwater/etc than waste my time/money.

But there are unscrupulous buyers and sellers.
I had one claiming the speaker cabinet I hand made got severely dinged in shipping, many days after delivery.
I gave the benefit of the doubt (and it's not like Reverb would have given me much of a choice as a seller) even though the location and type of ding didn't make any sense.
Luckily it was a wood cabinet with a very thin finish, it was easy and fast to steam it out and refinish it.

A few months later though I found in his feedback that another person seller got his cabinet returned for the same reason... :mad:

And that's the thing: even if your guitar arrives as described a dishonest buyer can simply add a ding/scratch/crack, claim it wasn't as described, and force you to take it back at yours loss.

Reverb's protection is borderline price gouging: they charge 2x the cost of the already expensive carrier's insurance.
They never gave me a straight answer as to whether they cover more than the carriers do (who can easily deny a claim). For double the price it seems that all you get is Reverb handling claims for you, which can actually be worth it given how painful and long the process is with carriers.
They do have a nice shipping discount on UPS though, but if you get their protection it's still end up being pricier than buying a label from a UPS Center (not UPS Store as most of them also charge 2-4x the price of insurance as a way to make a profit).

I recently got my own music instrument insurance which covers shipping damage/loss too.
That way I can take advantage of Reverb's shipping discount for sales below $1.5k, and anything above that gets shipped straight from UPS/FedEx.

I currently have a few guitars on Reverb and Facebook market place. FB so far is generating the most active hits.

i’m sure it’s great but i can’t even get into my ‘local facebook marketplace’ because my online footprint is too small. so i assume all the gear over there is shite.

#ShortShamefulConfessions

I just take the hit and sell to GC for most price ranges. Higher end go to trade or consignment at a few local shops I like. Will deal with eBay for many things, but big+expensive is not worth the hassle and chance of a bad faith return 5 months later.

i’m sure it’s great but i can’t even get into my ‘local facebook marketplace’ because my online footprint is too small. so i assume all the gear over there is shite.

Facebook is like a public toilet stall: Yeah, I can probably find the number of a nice woman written on the walls there, but do I wanna?

#ShortShamefulConfessions

I just take the hit and sell to GC for most price ranges. Higher end go to trade or consignment at a few local shops I like. Will deal with eBay for many things, but big+expensive is not worth the hassle and chance of a bad faith return 5 months later.
Dude, next time you want to sell something, reach out to Chicago Music Exchange. You can ship to them, they'll send you a check. Bonus, they tell you up front what they are going to list your gear for, and then give you 70% of that. Much better than GC. Plus, they don't try to low ball you once they look at your stuff. I sent a spreadsheet with what I wanted to sell. They gave me a price, and when I got there, they looked at all my stuff (including one that I was in the middle of putting pick ups in, so they weren't installed) and gave me exactly what they quoted via email.

Dude, next time you want to sell something, reach out to Chicago Music Exchange. You can ship to them, they'll send you a check. Bonus, they tell you up front what they are going to list your gear for, and then give you 70% of that. Much better than GC. Plus, they don't try to low ball you once they look at your stuff. I sent a spreadsheet with what I wanted to sell. They gave me a price, and when I got there, they looked at all my stuff (including one that I was in the middle of putting pick ups in, so they weren't installed) and gave me exactly what they quoted via email.

““spreadsheet of guitars””

Back