Early 2000s Singlecuts!?

boardn10

Hey all,

For those with experience, what is the build and feel of the first singlecuts like compared to something like a late 2000s SC250 which I have?

Heavier I suppose due to no weight relief. Although I almost bought a 2007 SC I believe that was over 9 lbs.

I love singlecuts but I will say my oldest PRS, a 1994 CE22 has a magic about it. Even more so than my 2003 McCarty and 2006 Custom 22 which have both been sold.

My McCarty neck was too clunky for me and it sounded tubby.
My SC250 has a fat neck but if love to try something like a Tremonti, pattern thin neck.
My CE22 has an amazing mid 90s PRS wide fat neck. So smooth and. fast.

McCarty models may be too vintage for me.

It has something special.

Not sure if the Singlecuts from this time period also had a special vibe or quality?

I wouldn't mind one, possibly replacing the bridge pickups and if needed, an adjustable bridge.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had a couple of the early models in 2000-2001, as well as a Stripped 58, an Artist MC58, a couple of the SC250s, and currently a PS McCarty Singlecut.

11Top also has a lot of experience with the SC models and can probably add his perspective.

The weight on the non-weight relieved guitars always varied depending on the individual slab of woods used. That's just how it is. They're all a little different.

In terms of tone, the models with the 2 piece bridge sound closer to the Les Paul tone than the earlier ones (just my opinion), but the earlier ones sound great in their own right - they're simply a little different.

If you're seeking the LP tone with a PRS twist, grab a newer one. If you're looking for a classic PRS sound but with more oomph, the older ones are great, especially with higher gain. As a low gain player, the newer models simply appeal to my taste more.

As with any guitar, the special vibe depends on the individual guitar. As to quality, the new ones are great, and so were the old ones.

Thanks and true on the weight.
Even on weight relieved models it varies a lot! I've played SC250s at 9 lbs and some 9.5 lbs. Same year too.

I prefer a one piece bridge.
I want my PRS models to be very different from my LPs.

How a out if I only am concerned with one piece bridge models? Like a 2002 SC for example vs a 2008 SC250?

Still the older ones have more umph?
Or you mean older Singlecuts in general, including the SC250?

I still have a 25th Anny OG Singlecut. Awesome guitar. Mine weighs right around 9lbs. Les's description about the old SC's being the classic PRS sound with more oomph is bang on. The #7's are also awesome pickups and stay tight and articulate under gain. Feel wise, it will be very similar to your SC 250.

Thanks, I'd rather have classic PRS and wraparound bridge with oomph.

I also want another LP so I'm looking at old Singlecuts and the new Gibson ADAM Jones Standard. Ha.

As much as I love my SC250, no matter what I do it had some fret buzz issues. None of my other guitars have this. And it doesn't matter the setup or fret dressing, etc. I have techs who are amazing but it remains unless I use an extremely light touch or crazy high gauges above what I prefer. For the low E in standard, I need about a. 054 to avoid buzz. Even then I get some. So, it's 10-54.

My LP and CE22 I can use 10-50 or 11-52 in standard or 11-54 half step down and drop C# without buzz. I ruled out setup and frets, etc.

Anyway, still love it! :)

I don't like vintage type pickups, so I bet I'd like the #7 pickups. I love Dragons and SC250s. So fat!

All I have to offer is that I have recently acquired a 2000 PRS SC.
It may be the heaviest of my harem, but is still manageable.
It came with Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells, and it is killer.
Very minor fret buzz on the low side, but a few mins with the tools and it is great.
Wish I could say the same about mine and buzz. It's fine I adjust by using very heavy strings which I like. I was using 12-62 for a while in drop C.

Sounds huge!
Super light guitar at 8.2 lbs.
I almost bought an SC250 that was over 9 but this one was crazy resonant and full sounding.

Wish I could say the same about mine and buzz. It's fine I adjust by using very heavy strings which I like. I was using 12-62 for a while in drop C.

Sounds huge!
Super light guitar at 8.2 lbs.
I almost bought an SC250 that was over 9 but this one was crazy resonant and full sounding.
I like lighter strings, so am using 9 - 42
Maybe that's a difference.
Killer guitar.

Heavier strings equal less buzz due to increased tension. I tried 10-45 and way too light on the wound. I can't use less than 10-52.

I have one of those. Killer guitar. Rock riff machine in a Les Paul mould. Less subtle compared to my SC594 but at the same time much more whackable (if that makes sense). Because of the wide fat neck and substantial feeling if well weighted body coupled with pickups that to my ears love mid levels of gain , it induces the need to play AC DC or Zep.
As a rock guitar it’s up there. For modern metal or ambient cleans , I would prefer a more modern PRS

Did all the 2000-2001 and early Singlecuts all have wide fat necks?
I know they changed over the years.
My 1994 CE22, 2003 McCarty, 2006 Custom 22 and 2008 SC250 felt slightly different. Maybe not all.

The neck on my SC250 is almost too chunky in spots. Maybe I'd really like the Tremonti neck or the wide thin.

My 1994 CE22 has a slightly thinner neck and easier to navigate in spots.
My 2003 LP 50s Standard also is easier and thinner than my SC250.

Are the early 2000-2001 singlecuts as fat as my SC250?

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy a PRS online without playing and I am curious what the neck is like in a 2001 singlecut? I found one that is 2001 with wraparound bridge and one 2000 with adjustable bridge signed by Mark Tremonti. I am not sure the neck on either other than that they are wide fat.

I have a 1994 CE22 and 2008 SC 250 both with wide fat necks.

Not sure how the 2001 SC compares?

I love the SC250 pickups and worried the #7s in the early singlecut won't measure up. It's gorgeous and as long as the neck fits me, I can swap the bridge pickup.

Thanks!

I ma thinking of buying a 2001 mint Sunburst SC with wraparound bridge and kluson tuners. I could always replace the bridge pickup and adjustable bridge, locking tuners one day if I feel it. Maybe just pickup.
I also found a 2000 tobacco burst SC with adjustable wraparound bridge so would that be aftermarket? It also has aftermarket locking tuners.

Assuming both are wide fat.

Hey all,

For those with experience, what is the build and feel of the first singlecuts like compared to something like a late 2000s SC250 which I have?

Heavier I suppose due to no weight relief. Although I almost bought a 2007 SC I believe that was over 9 lbs.

I love singlecuts but I will say my oldest PRS, a 1994 CE22 has a magic about it. Even more so than my 2003 McCarty and 2006 Custom 22 which have both been sold.

My McCarty neck was too clunky for me and it sounded tubby.
My SC250 has a fat neck but if love to try something like a Tremonti, pattern thin neck.
My CE22 has an amazing mid 90s PRS wide fat neck. So smooth and. fast.

McCarty models may be too vintage for me.

It has something special.

Not sure if the Singlecuts from this time period also had a special vibe or quality?

I wouldn't mind one, possibly replacing the bridge pickups and if needed, an adjustable bridge.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if early 2000s singlecuts were all wide fat?

These two pre-lawsuit SCs I had way back then were both Wide Fat, and quite heavy (IIRC, each weighed nearly ten pounds). Impeccable build quality, very easy-playing (while sitting!), but both kind of tight / choked sounding (which are among the results one risks when buying online). Tonally in (relatively bright) LP territory, but no particularly special "vibe" that I could discern, so what with their tubbiness (and my then-janky shoulder), I found loving homes for them.

pre-lawsuit-PRS-SC-Violin-Amber-Burst.jpg

pre-lawsuit-PRS-SC-Natural.jpg

These two pre-lawsuit SCs I had way back then were both Wide Fat, and quite heavy (IIRC, each weighed nearly ten pounds). Impeccable build quality, very easy-playing (while sitting!), but both kind of tight / choked sounding (which are among the results one risks when buying online). Tonally in (relatively bright) LP territory, but no particularly special "vibe" that I could discern, so what with their tubbiness (and my then-janky shoulder), I found loving homes for them.

pre-lawsuit-PRS-SC-Violin-Amber-Burst.jpg

pre-lawsuit-PRS-SC-Natural.jpg
I guess you just never know.
I find the light weight PRS Singlecuts sound amazing.
My SC 250 is unreal sounding and only 8.2 lbs.
I found a 2001 singlecut that is only 8 lbs with no weight relief.

Weirdly -- and I'm aware that I must be very much in the minority on this -- I've "bonded" most easily and completely with two '09 MIK WMIC SE variations, as opposed to any of the several PRS domestic production guitars that have passed though my hands and by my ears over the years. Probably just the luck of the draw, I suppose, but intriguing, nonetheless -- I guess there really is no accounting for taste!

Back