Dragon Inlay

fgeorge097

I am assuming the only way to order the dragon fretboard inlay is through private stock?

Rough ballpark, how much would that inlay add on to the cost of the PS?

I'd be surprised if private stock even offers it.
I've seen pictures of at least two Private Stock Dragons, but they were both for the overseas markets (Japan if I recall correctly). So they were willing to make a couple in the past...but I recall the dragons not being exact copies of the ones from the series, there were some differences.

So maybe it's possible, but it's got to be VERY pricey!!!

Or you could just get the small west street dragon (a.k.a. "the lizard") on the board...we know that's possible and much more budget friendly. ;-)

Found one of them: http://buguitars.com/csgtr/PS_DragonI_BP/

prs_privatestock_dragon_bonniepink_001.jpg

Best to contact a dealer that does a lot of PS work and ask. You'd likely be better off trying to find a used dragon if any meet your specs

I am assuming the only way to order the dragon fretboard inlay is through private stock?

Rough ballpark, how much would that inlay add on to the cost of the PS?

I'd say that's a safe assumption. I have no idea on ball park price, but I am sure a reputable dealer would be able to comment with more certainty. There are plenty in the dealer section that would be happy to answer your question. Keep us posted!

Even the Japan private stock Dragon I pictured is not the original Dragon inlay (thankfully :)). Its the same guitar spec, but a different inlay. I think private stock will do a dragon is you pay, but not to the limited edition original art.

For reference, the original inlay:

d1i.jpg

Even the Japan private stock Dragon I pictured is not the original Dragon inlay (thankfully :)). Its the same guitar spec, but a different inlay. I think private stock will do a dragon is you pay, but not to the limited edition original art.

For reference, the original inlay:

d1i.jpg
Am I missing something? The picture of the original inlay you posted looks nearly identical to the PS #2409 posted above, save for the color?!?!?!

Kevin

Frankly, I think it would be in very poor taste if PRS offered for sale a LIMITED edition (like the Dragon series) with a finite number, and then later made something very similar in PS. That strikes me as disrespectful and disingenerous to those that spent big money buying a
"Limited edition."

I still remember the first time I saw a Dragon in person. My eyes just about popped out of my head.

If you don't want to pay PS prices, be on the lookout for the West Street Limited. It's basically a Santana with special woods, and a small Dragon on the body. VERY cool guitars.

I still remember the first time I saw a Dragon in person. My eyes just about popped out of my head.
Aye, me too. I believe they actually had some on display at the 30th.

Actually, any time one of the more complex inlay pieces comes out, my eyes just about pop out of my head. Did you see that skyline one at this year's experience? Stonkin'!

Frankly, I think it would be in very poor taste if PRS offered for sale a LIMITED edition (like the Dragon series) with a finite number, and then later made something very similar in PS. That strikes me as disrespectful and disingenerous to those that spent big money buying a "Limited edition."
Well, there was a limited Edition P 24 trem at the Experience 2013!
2014 (already) the P 24 trem became a production model.
I know, not the same kind of money but a very similar feeling.

Frankly, I think it would be in very poor taste if PRS offered for sale a LIMITED edition (like the Dragon series) with a finite number, and then later made something very similar in PS. That strikes me as disrespectful and disingenerous to those that spent big money buying a
"Limited edition."

To a degree, I understand this, but of course a "limited edition" of a book or an art print doesn't mean the book or print won't be available in the future in some modified format.

It simply means a particular run is limited in number. It's been more than 20 years since the Dragon I.

I have two limited edition PS guitars now, the 30th Ann. CU24, and the 20th PS Ann. run. For all practical purposes, the 30th was a version of the production model to start with, and the 20th Ann. PS can no doubt be duplicated in PS.

Neither thing bothers me. I got the guitars to play, and while they can certainly be duplicated, the clones won't be from the so-called limited run in any case. So it's really not very important to me if someone gets, say, a PS duplicate of the 20th Ann. Guitar. Doesn't affect me at all, nor does it affect the value of the thing - to me.

I realize that there's a certain "I have one of these special things, you don't" exclusivity to this limited run stuff, but in the end the vanity behind that thinking is pretty obvious when one considers that when the current generation retires, the next one will make tens of thousands of plastic-inlaid copies of all this stuff in some underdeveloped country for a few hundred bucks and slap a PRS label on it, and the few cognoscenti will still push up the prices on the originals to '59 Burst levels.

To a degree, I understand this, but of course a "limited edition" of a book or an art print doesn't mean the book or print won't be available in the future in some modified format.

It simply means a particular run is limited in number. It's been more than 20 years since the Dragon I.

I have two limited edition PS guitars now, the 30th Ann. CU24, and the 20th PS Ann. run. For all practical purposes, the 30th was a version of the production model to start with, and the 20th Ann. PS can no doubt be duplicated in PS.

Neither thing bothers me. I got the guitars to play, and while they can certainly be duplicated, the clones won't be from the so-called limited run in any case. So it's really not very important to me if someone gets, say, a PS duplicate of the 20th Ann. Guitar. Doesn't affect me at all, nor does it affect the value of the thing - to me.

I realize that there's a certain "I have one of these special things, you don't" exclusivity to this limited run stuff, but in the end the vanity behind that thinking is pretty obvious when one considers that when the current generation retires, the next one will make tens of thousands of plastic-inlaid copies of all this stuff in some underdeveloped country for a few hundred bucks and slap a PRS label on it, and the few cognoscenti will still push up the prices on the originals to '59 Burst levels.

I believe an individual should be able to buy whatever for whatever reason they choose (as long as it's not illegal). Not everyone buys a limited edition for "I have one of these special things, you don't." Some will buy fully or partially as an investment. Some of these "limited editions" are very pricey, and supply and demand will in part determine the future value. I realize that some will look down their noses at those who buy a guitar "as an investment." For those who would criticize investment as a valid reason, I ask "do you think a Dragon feels, plays, or sounds better because it has a fancy, expensive inlay?"

And finally, if there is no intent to "close the run," why do you think they set a finite number on them at original offer?

For the record, I do NOT, nor ever have owned a Dragon 1.

Last edited:
I believe an individual should be able to buy whatever for whatever reason they choose (as long as it's not illegal). Not everyone buys a limited edition for "I have one of these special things, you don't." Some will buy fully or partially as an investment. Some of these "limited editions" are very pricey, and supply and demand will in part determine the future value. I realize that some will look down their noses at those who buy a guitar "as an investment." For those who would criticize investment as a valid reason, I ask "do you think a Dragon feels, plays, or sounds better because it has a fancy, expensive inlay?"

And finally, if there is no intent to "close the run," why do you think they set a finite number on them at original offer?

For the record, I do NOT, nor ever have owned a Dragon 1.

I don't disagree with you on much of what you say - at all. Especially that everyone should do whatever it is they want to do. No rules.

But for those who got a Dragon as an investment, at least with the early ones, they've done extremely well with that investment. I think it'd be pretty sour to insist that PRS could never, ever use that inlay design on any other instrument, ever. And if you were to agree, fine, the "never ever, even 300 years from now, position might be a little extreme," at what point would you say PRS would once again have the right to use the design they own?

Moreover, that Dragon run was indeed limited, and hasn't been repeated in the same form in the 20-odd years since the guitar was introduced.

So I'm not understanding one part about the issue. Are you saying that after 20 years plus, PRS has no right to use that inlay design on other guitars, ever? Or are you saying it's too soon to use the design on a different instrument, or what?

I personally think there's a difference between an inlay, and a whole model run. The Dragon I was, to me, a one-shot thing, and that thing has long been over. You can't make a new Dragon I, all you can do is make some version thats a copy of it, at best, and that version would merely be a PS with a classic inlay, but can't somehow become a Dragon I -- unless the owner falsifies it.

Obviously you disagree, so there's no point in my trying to convince you. But I'm interested in your take on it, and where you'd draw the line.

As to the exclusivity thing, well, a limited run is certainly all about exclusivity. Whether that turns out to be for the purpose of saying, "I have one, you don't" -- or whether it's merely the exclusivity that drives up the price, the result is the same. The owner has one, the others don't, and the only way they can get an original is to buy it from a current owner, at that owner's price.

So either way, the end product - whether it's to be an investment, or whether it's for the sheer ability to say you have one of very few - isn't much different.

However, I didn't say there's anything wrong with that. It's just not a thing I personally care to do. I'm not postulating rules for anyone else, never have, never will. And I hope my wife and kids outlive me and make some dough on my guitars, or better yet, keep them, but I'll be ashes by then, and it's certainly not going to be something I will be able to foresee or control.

I have one major ambivalence here, in that I bought a couple of limited run instruments instead of just ordering something similar, which I could have just as easily done.

I did buy them because I loved in the CU24's case, the tone I heard; and in the 20th PS, I loved the concept before hearing the guitar, and thought, "that has to be awesome and right up my alley."

But in the end, they are limited runs, too, so obviously there's something beyond merely playing the guitars in all this that honesty forces me to admit, "Sure, I considered the idea that not many of these are around, and beyond that, I thought that was kind of interesting and cool."

Not exactly a very good reason for me to buy a guitar (I speak only for myself, this is not a prescription for other people, and you have every right to have whatever reason you like to do whatever you want in the guitar realm), so the guitar's playability and tone still have to be paramount, but it's certainly a factor of some kind.

I just don't have a lot of emotion tied up in that.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you on much of what you say - at all. Especially that everyone should do whatever it is they want to do. No rules.

But for those who got a Dragon as an investment, at least with the early ones, they've done extremely well with that investment. I think it'd be pretty sour to insist that PRS could never, ever use that inlay design on any other instrument, ever. And if you were to agree, fine, the "never ever, even 300 years from now, position might be a little extreme," at what point would you say PRS would once again have the right to use the design they own?

Moreover, that Dragon run was indeed limited, and hasn't been repeated in the same form in the 20-odd years since the guitar was introduced.

So I'm not understanding one part about the issue. Are you saying that after 20 years plus, PRS has no right to use that inlay design on other guitars, ever? Or are you saying it's too soon to use the design on a different instrument, or what?

I personally think there's a difference between an inlay, and a whole model run. The Dragon I was, to me, a one-shot thing, and that thing has long been over. You can't make a new Dragon I, all you can do is make some version thats a copy of it, at best, and that version would merely be a PS with a classic inlay, but can't somehow become a Dragon I -- unless the owner falsifies it.

Obviously you disagree, so there's no point in my trying to convince you. But I'm interested in your take on it, and where you'd draw the line.

As to the exclusivity thing, well, a limited run is certainly all about exclusivity. Whether that turns out to be for the purpose of saying, "I have one, you don't" -- or whether it's merely the exclusivity that drives up the price, the result is the same. The owner has one, the others don't, and the only way they can get an original is to buy it from a current owner, at that owner's price.

So either way, the end product - whether it's to be an investment, or whether it's for the sheer ability to say you have one of very few - isn't much different.

However, I didn't say there's anything wrong with that. It's just not a thing I personally care to do. I'm not postulating rules for anyone else, never have, never will. And I hope my wife and kids outlive me and make some dough on my guitars, or better yet, keep them, but I'll be ashes by then, and it's certainly not going to be something I will be able to foresee or control.

I have one major ambivalence here, in that I bought a couple of limited run instruments instead of just ordering something similar, which I could have just as easily done.

I did buy them because I loved in the CU24's case, the tone I heard; and in the 20th PS, I loved the concept before hearing the guitar, and thought, "that has to be awesome and right up my alley."

But in the end, they are limited runs, too, so obviously there's something beyond merely playing the guitars in all this that honesty forces me to admit, "Sure, I considered the idea that not many of these are around, and beyond that, I thought that was kind of interesting and cool."

Not exactly a very good reason for me to buy a guitar (I speak only for myself, this is not a prescription for other people, and you have every right to have whatever reason you like to do whatever you want in the guitar realm), so the guitar's playability and tone still have to be paramount, but it's certainly a factor of some kind.

I just don't have a lot of emotion tied up in that.

Les, the only point I'm really trying to make is that some buy limited editions because they are just that...limited. In my opinion, if you don't want it limited, don't label and sell it as such.

Les, the only point I'm really trying to make is that some buy limited editions because they are just that...limited. In my opinion, if you don't want it limited, don't label and sell it as such.

Gotcha.

As I said, I have a couple, but I'm gonna give PRS a bit of wiggle room on what "limited" means, i.e., whether the run itself is limited, or whether every single part of the design is limited.

Though I have one of the limited 20th PS Anniversary models, I think PRS should make it a Core model, it's such a great guitar. I think more people should have them.

If I could ever score a Dragon, I'd get one of the 2002 SC dragons. They were my favorite. Although, I could be persuaded into a double neck as well.
Dragon Proto:
27537563703_292e43d76a_b.jpg

I think this was being built for Carlos, I saw it at an Experience. It is different...
28049033622_0ea27040da_b.jpg

Double trouble, assume they were working out the details on this...
27537813313_e7e183034b_b.jpg

Back