NuGD (almost a Dragon I)

Thanks guys & gals for all the congrats! And here I sit with my power out for the last 37 hours… but who’s counting, right? (Been in the dark five full days of the last eleven, on account of two winter storms and a terribly unreliable grid.)

Hope to be back up & running soon, when this beautiful “new” guitar will get a full checkup, new strings, and a setup. I anticipate another killer instrument.

Thanks guys & gals for all the congrats! And here I sit with my power out for the last 37 hours… but who’s counting, right? (Been in the dark five full days of the last eleven, on account of two winter storms and a terribly unreliable grid.)

Hope to be back up & running soon, when this beautiful “new” guitar will get a full checkup, new strings, and a setup. I anticipate another killer instrument.
Wow, that is some kind of timing on a extended power outage! Hope you (and guitars) are safe!! I will try to telepath a new power source into the grid near you, stay tuned!!!

That's beautiful!

And it was based on the Artist II from 1992, which was the first step in bringing the Dragon concept to the less-inlay market. So yes, great guitar.

I had an Artist II. It's one of the half dozen or so PRSes I regret selling!

Looks mint, too.
That looks like it's in incredible condition!!
My stars, what a clean machine! They can still be found it seems.

Um, yeah... this thing's in great condition, it's amazing. Just a touch of Blue Magic on the stop-tailpiece and some Miracle Cloth (Gorgomyte) on the frets & board and this thing looks showroom condition.

These Dragon pickups are very cool, too. The neck/bass pickup is straight-up PAF--or rather, as PAF was being approximated in the early-90's. And the bridge/treble pickup is a great boosted-rock output, but nowhere near as annoyingly-hot as its ceramic magnet + 19k output would've led me to assume. Excellent pickup set; and yes, I do agree that a good surrogate among today's pickups would be the 59/09 set.

I have an 06 CU22 10 top that looks just like that. I had the PTC put 57/08 pickups in mine during the pickup promotion in 2009. It transformed the guitar for my uses. It was the first PRS I had ever bought.

Congrats on yours!

I have an 06 CU22 10 top that looks just like that. I had the PTC put 57/08 pickups in mine during the pickup promotion in 2009. It transformed the guitar for my uses. It was the first PRS I had ever bought.

Congrats on yours!
Sooo…what happened to those DI’s?
I know a guy who could get those pesky pup’s off your hands.;):)

1993 Custom 22 (first year of the CU22—hey, it's "only" 30 years old!)
10-top (stamped!)
Small signature-logo on headstock
Winged tuners (enough said!)
Dragon pickups (the original ones)

According to PRS's model-history page, the Custom 22 model was "...based on a Dragon Series, without the inlay...". So, while that guitar might be untouchable, I basically just acquired a Dragon I without the cachet of a near-priceless-investment piece or the fancy-pants inlay (it does have birds, though). And besides, I already have a dragon on my Westie, so I'm good.

Proof that it's not a First Act Hello Kitty ukulele:
ZrIhHwq.jpg
Beautiful! The CU22 in my profile photo is a '95.

Q: "Do you mind if I ask what you paid?"

A: "No. I don't mind."

Then the sound of silence....
Well I probably did over-pay, if one were to really investigate used CU22 prices. However, for a first-year model, with Dragon pickups, and in such excellent condition as this one... it's no longer a concern for me, now that I've played it. I've probably paid more for (and eventually sold) guitars that were less musically-resonant and inspiring as this one.

Well I probably did over-pay, if one were to really investigate used CU22 prices. However, for a first-year model, with Dragon pickups, and in such excellent condition as this one... it's no longer a concern for me, now that I've played it. I've probably paid more for (and eventually sold) guitars that were less musically-resonant and inspiring as this one.
That guitar looks like a new guitar! Gotta expect to pay a little more for a great guitar liked that.

I kind of think of those guitars as being the '59 Les Pauls of the future.

I sold my '02 CU-22 a couple of weeks ago for $2000. Yours looks to be worth more.

Back