Does my new PRS guitar have a crack in it?

joyfi2

Hello, I just purchased my first PRS guitar around the 4k price tag. I have never purchased a guitar this much. I just received it from UPS (i purchased it online) and I looked over the body and I found what appears to be either a scratch or a crack. I was hoping to get input from someone that's more knowledgeable than I am. Does this look like a surface scratch in the finish or does this look more like a crack in the wood?

I could probably contact the retailer if it looks problematic but I do have to say, if it's a crack, I do feel a bit disappointed considering the amount of money I paid for a guitar that was made this year in 2020 according to its tag. It's a custom 24 and it was made in June 2020.

xHjG7zr

xHjG7zr

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you everyone for any assistance.

If it is a crack, it probably happened in shipping. I’m sorry you have to get this kind of aggravation. This time of year, bad things can happen because of the volume of shipping going on. A couple more posts, and you’ll be able to post pictures. Please don’t blame PRS. I once shipped a guitar that disappeared, and then showed up minus everything except a badly torn gig bag. It was a PRS. I’m sure the buyer thought I was some kind of a rip-off seller. It was found after six months of UPS denying they had ever shipped it. Needless to say, it was smashed.

Looking at the photo, it does look like a hairline crack in the finish, in the corner between neck pup, neck, and treble bout.

As @dogrocketp said, it could have happened in shipping. Or it may have just happened while sitting idly at the store before shipping - sometimes things go wrong for no apparent cause.

Send the photo to the retailer, they should be able to help you out.

Back