Do u wish PRS had a 24 fret singlecut fixed bridge guitar?

Interesting. From a physics perspective, that picture is absolutely correct in terms of that particular overtone on an open (unfretted) string -- what really needs to happen is for someone to do the calculations for every single note (fret position), but even so, it also illustrates that there are plenty of signal from other harmonics for the pickup to detect. I bet what you'd come up with is the realization that there are plenty of theoretically bad positions for the pickup to be, and plenty of information to support that view.

So really, the only safe place to put the pickup is up against the bridge. Lollers. Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

Yes, from the point of view of physics all (changing frets) positions are bad :) That is why, and for other reasons too, people argue that Ed Roman's pov is not valid, but what it does show is that 24fret guitars are as ok (or not ok;) as 22fret:) So, again, why not a 24 fret singlecut. To me this become s a more and more rhetorical question ("its hard to play bass strings on higher frets" argument is rather funny).

Well, here's something interesting! (Or not, but I found it interesting...)

I just went and played the high frets on most of my PRSi. Main observations:

• On my 2002 CU24 and 2014 P24, both 24 frets (duh), I feel very comfortable playing all the way up to the position where my fingers start at fret 21 and cover up to 24 easily, with my thumb still wrapped around near the bass strings (what the heck is that called? 21st Fret home position or something? I'll use that term, feel free to correct and I will update...)
  • My SE-7 (24 fret) feels similar to the CU24, but the wider neck does make it a bit awkward at the 21st fret home position, and it is actually a little easier to use the 19th fret home position and just let my pinky and ring finger make the extra reach as required.
  • On my SE Akerfeldt, which also has 24 frets, the 17th or 18th fret home position is "normal", but when I reach about the 19 fret home position I subconsciously move my thumb to the full back of the neck or even around near the treble strings because it hits the neck heel, but still feel comfortable playing up to the 24th fret - but it definitely feels different than my CU24 - never notice until this experiment.
  • On my SAS (22 fret) it is almost worse - I am OK up to the 15th and 16th fret position, but I am tempted to move my thumb when I hit the 17th fret home position - the neck heel on the SAS is much bigger than any other PRSi I own.
  • On my HB (22 fret) the feel is similar to the SE Alkerfeldt - by the 19th fret home position I am moving my thumb
  • On my Les Paul (22 fret), I do pretty well the same as the SAS, might even be worse - by the time I hit the 15th fret home position I am really tempted to move my thumb, and it has shifted at the 16th fret home position.
  • My mexi-strat (21 frets) is much more like the Akerfeldt or HB: at the 19th fret home position I shift my thumb.

And to be honest, I find it a bit uncomfortable reaching for the bass strings when so high up the neck regardless of guitar. But! Also to be honest, once I'm moved my thumb, reaching those bass strings is easier...so it is slightly easier on the non-CU24 shaped guitars, oddly enough.

In summary..although the SC shape affects how I position my hand, the other double-cut guitars aren't all that much better. The CU24-based shapes are by far the easiest to maintain the normal wrap-around thumb grip all the way up. Oh, and because I have relatively small hands, although my thumb wraps around the neck a bit, I can't actually fret the bass E-string with my thumb while still fretting the other strings with the rest of my fingers like most guitarists. So perhaps my observations will be very different from others for that reason alone...

I am now intrigued by the very early CU24s with very small heels...

Thanks for the observations!!! The access to EAD strings on 24 frets - well, I am not an experienced guitar player, but I try to play different songs and there was only one where there was a need to access high E on 15-19frets. One song. Now, with access to GBE strings - to be fair, there is also a limited number of songs for 23-24frets too, but, it seems, a bit more than for EAD. I find arguments about EAD strings access to higher frets funny because of that, sorry:) The primary need for 24 frets, in my inexperienced opinion, is for GBE strings mainly, no? Your summary, therefore, is very interesting in terms 24 fret vs 22 fret and singlecut vs doublecuts. Personally, I have my SE singlecut and have no problems of accessing GBE. On my other guitar (Schecter Hellraiser Solo II), same story for me, precisely for that reason - moving the thumb to the middle of the neck's back, where it mostly supposed to be? So, again:) I'd like to see a 24 fret singlecut fixed bridge from PRS. So, PRS?

I have 24 and 22 fretters.

I have Double cut and Single cut.

For me there is NO downside to 24 frets. Get the right neck pup - pup placement problem solved. Use a strap that has less friction so you can vary the angle depending on where you're playing - ergonomic problem solved.

It's not that I NEED the 24, though it does come in handy time to time, it's that it makes playing in say high A easier. (not having to reach over the neck)

Maybe its just a beginners question, but how many of you, beginners and serious players, would want to have a 24 Fret Singlecut Fixed Bridge PRS? :adore:

Been playing for 48 years now. Never felt the need for one. Don't know anyone else who has expressed a wish for one, either. Can't say if it's a beginner's question or not, however.

But PRS makes the Santana, if you need 24 frets and a thicker body. They're great guitars, made for a player who was using Singlecuts for a long time.

I do think a doublecut makes more sense on a 24 fret guitar, if you want access to those higher frets.

For me there is NO downside to 24 frets. Get the right neck pup - pup placement problem solved. Use a strap that has less friction so you can vary the angle depending on where you're playing - ergonomic problem solved.

It's not that I NEED the 24, though it does come in handy time to time, it's that it makes playing in say high A easier. (not having to reach over the neck)

+1

Been playing for 48 years now. Never felt the need for one. Don't know anyone else who has expressed a wish for one, either. Can't say if it's a beginner's question or not, however.

But PRS makes the Santana, if you need 24 frets and a thicker body. They're great guitars, made for a player who was using Singlecuts for a long time.

I do think a doublecut makes more sense on a 24 fret guitar, if you want access to those higher frets.

I already have a 24 singlecut with a fixed bridge, from another guitar maker, Schecter, but I would prefer a PRS. Hence my specific Singlecut 24 fret hardtail opinion poll. I can feel the difference between my PRS (even if 22 fret) and the Schecter, in weight at least. Next is the 22 vs 24 and next is the fact that Schecter cuts the hill joint, which PRS doesn't do. I wrote above that I probably played a couple of songs where 24 frets are used. This is rare, but access issue on EAD is "rarer", I think. So, I am a fan of seinglecuts. Hence I was interested is there any crowd for a 24 Singelcut Hardtail and the response was very different. Somebody focused on 22 vs 24, some on access, etc. But again Schecter Hellraiser Solo-II, Washburn PXL10, ESP-LTD 401 and 1000, etc, all 24 fret singlecuts and there is market for them obviously, otherwise they wouldn't be made. Hence my original question stands;)

Last edited:
Oh, and to get back to your original question:

Yes, I would be interested in trying out and maybe purchasing a 24 fret Single Cut Fixed bridge guitar from PRS.

I agree to a point. Even with pup changes, for my own personal tastes, it just doesn't feel the same on the neck on a 24 fretter.

In saying that for heavier music, which uses lower tunings, I quite like the 24 fret neck pup tone as it can cut through the dense mix a bit better.

Well, guys, there was no chatter since September 24 on this thread. I was really busy too during that time. I thank you all for your inputs. The question about a 24 fret hardtail PRS is still in the air, at least partly, but my main attraction is the Singelcut. I still hope PRS would hear those of us who agree with me and make a 25" scale PRS Singlecut 24 frets Hardtail. Till that time (who knows when and if) - all the best!

Last edited:
Was just watching the below vid, googled 24 fret Santana and found this old thread. Thought some peeps might like to see the 24 fret SC.

Hi guys! I am new to the forum and am a guitar beginner with a nice 22 fret SE, but my beginner's passion is singlecut 24 fret guitars, so I can try a full octave if I want to (or can) :) Maybe its just a beginners question, but how many of you, beginners and serious players, would want to have a 24 Fret Singlecut Fixed Bridge PRS? :adore:
Yes, I do. I don't like trems.

24 fret single cut is a dumb idea. You can hardly reach the 21 fret on a single cut guitar.

24 fret single cut is a dumb idea. You can hardly reach the 21 fret on a single cut guitar.

Tosin Abasi doesn't seem to think so. Guitar hits the neck ~12th fret + deep cutaway.

TosinAbasi_%C2%A9GuitarCenter_RyanHunter_1%255b1%255d.jpg

Tosin Abasi doesn't seem to think so. Guitar hits the neck ~12th fret + deep cutaway.

He plays 8 strings and he always put his thumb behind the neck. This is a very uncommon approach and for his playing style you can put a single cut all the way to the first fret.
I believe most guys are like me, we need to wrap our thumb on top. Sometimes fret the low E with it.

Back