Do Cute Amps Matter?

I’ll add to that... I always wondered just how close the Custom 50 gain channel is the the MDT. I figured it was in the ballpark, although I’m sure I’ll never know how close they are. But I had a nice one with flame front etc, and traded it. The guy who got it from me said the bias was WAY off and that once fixed it was the best amp he’d ever heard and he’d had some great ones. I admit, that is still haunting me...

MDT is the one that gets me, based more on the namesakes, than any tones I’ve heard. I’ve come SO close twice, but it wasn’t the latest version with the mids knob and I managed to let the deals slide. Still... I mean come on... Marshall Dumble Tweed... who doesn’t want that!
Haven't tried the MDT, but I think a Custom 50 might be worth another twirl.

I have a black Marshall Vintage Modern. I have the accompanying 425 cab in purple. Both bought used at different times. IMO the color contrast is minimal and perhaps not especially noticeable unless you look closely. The mismatch (and therefore not cute) set up does not phase me in the least.

Besides when I plug in and close my eyes I’m a bad ass stadium playing rock star dodging flying g-strings (the panties kind). Cute ain’t in my persona.

Mismatches can actually be cute, but what’s cuter than adoring fans taking their underwear off and lofting it your way?

Not much! It used to happen to me all the time.

“Liar!”

“OK, well, I was just trying to spice up the writing. I call it ‘creative license.”

“Creative licensor!”

I’ll add to that... I always wondered just how close the Custom 50 gain channel is the the MDT. I figured it was in the ballpark, although I’m sure I’ll never know how close they are. But I had a nice one with flame front etc, and traded it. The guy who got it from me said the bias was WAY off and that once fixed it was the best amp he’d ever heard and he’d had some great ones. I admit, that is still haunting me...

I’d say it’s different in lots of ways, most important might be the Tweed tone stack.

Paul and Mike Ault:

Our own Chris Reynolds:

Doug Sewell and Greg Koch:

What's really disturbing is that I'm content with what I have, but I can't stop looking at MDTs, Dallases, Original Sewells, and Blistertones. I know something "bad" is likely to happen!
Yeah, like something “bad” happened the other day when your last guitar arrived. :rolleyes: Oh wait... it’s Opposite Day. My bad.

Chin-up buddy! The only bad news is for your neighbors...that distant rumbling isn’t thunder, but the sound of inevitability (that would be a great name for PRS’ next amp)...50w of inevitability.

Now I’m gonna go profile the SuperD again. You made me do it...

Chin-up buddy! The only bad news is for your neighbors...that distant rumbling isn’t thunder, but the sound of inevitability (that would be a great name for PRS’ next amp)...50w of inevitability.

Now I’m gonna go profile the SuperD again. You made me do it...

Now you've opened another rabbit hole! I could have all of those amps that are haunting me if I went with a Kemper Stage!

I forgot that Mr. Clean made an appearance at 3:07! He can’t say “it’s my guitar” anymore. ;)

And to the above ^...YES!

Mr. Clean is a great sounding axe, Boog!

My take on the MDT is that reminds me of my HXDA at some settings, but has a solid, more American sounding tone with that Tweed tone stack.

If PRS still made them, I’d probably have bought the MDT instead of the Fillmore because it’s got more string-to-string definition and that “distorted but still reveals what the guitar sounds like” quality that’s one of the hallmarks of Doug Sewell’s designs. Or both would be even better! ;)

I’m glad you mentioned that.

My amps usually fall asleep in the car. ;)

That means that your "amps" feel safe and comfortable with you driving.

I think the nice part is differentiating between what some consider "cute" (babies are cute) and well-earned things like "beauty." Old things retain a sense of "beauty" when you look for them, and as we grow older, my hope is to see the beauty inside of things & people we can't usually see.

Although beauty is often fleeting because it does not last, the time we share is important because there is way too much rudeness and ugliness in this world...that means we need to take time and look for the "good" and hence the "beauty."

Not the "Beauty & the Beast." What is old can often be beautiful "inside."

Here's a pic of a lacquered Blues Deluxe USA that was once mine. That was truly a thing of beauty...

35by32t.jpg

< Stepping off Soapbox, But Will Encourage As Necessary >

Last edited:
That means that your "amps" feel safe and comfortable with you driving.

I think the nice part is differentiating between what some consider "cute" (babies are cute) and well-earned things like "beauty." Old things retain a sense of "beauty" when you look for them, and as we grow older, my hope is to see the beauty inside of things & people we can't usually see.

Although beauty is often fleeting because it does not last, the time we share is important because there is way too much rudeness and ugliness in this world...that means we need to take time and look for the "good" and hence the "beauty."

Not the "Beauty & the Beast." What is old can often be beautiful "inside."

Here's a pic of a lacquered Blues Deluxe USA that was once mine. That was truly a thing of beauty...

35by32t.jpg

< Stepping off Soapbox, But Will Encourage As Necessary >

Old Tweed amps are plenty cute. Because they’re classics.

Back