Do Cute Amps Matter?

It's the Cornford Carerra. Switchable between single 8 or 9 pin output valve (el84, 6l6, EL34 etc). Between 6 to 8 watt output. The company seemed to be doing so well and then seemingly overnight they disappeared. They kind of live on now as victory amps as Martin Kidd was the chief designer at Cornford.
Thank you sir! There are a dozen profiles of that exact amp I can try tonight!
Cheers

Cheers Les, it's a pity the company disappeared about 6 years ago. I still haven't found out exactly what happened. For a time their star shone really bright and their amps genuinely had a new voice that hadn't been heard before - not easy these days

On the other hand, you have an unusual amp made by an excellent builder. And since it’s hand-wired, you don’t have to worry about replacing circuit boards, etc., if something goes wrong.

That amp will probably outlive all of us!

The link’s not working for me to quote the post about tube, hand-wired amps, but here’s a big YES!!!

On the other hand, you have an unusual amp made by an excellent builder. And since it’s hand-wired, you don’t have to worry about replacing circuit boards, etc., if something goes wrong.

That amp will probably outlive all of us!
Yeah, I'm not worried about it lasting. It's built solid!

Cheers Les, it's a pity the company disappeared about 6 years ago. I still haven't found out exactly what happened. For a time their star shone really bright and their amps genuinely had a new voice that hadn't been heard before - not easy these days
They made some great amps!

When I ordered my first Rivera, I WISHED they came in something other than the hideous black carpet with the metal mesh grille. ANYTHING would have ben nicer, lol. Ugly amp, great sound. Later in the 90's when Rivera switched to tolex, it was STILL ugly. I am guessing they just have a flair for the hideous....

Now that I am all about the Bad Cat, I keep bouncing the crazy idea of calling john up and ordering a new, fancy looking cab for my Cub IV....do it up Matchless style, turquoise and white. But, it's not that important in the scheme of life, you know?

When I ordered my first Rivera, I WISHED they came in something other than the hideous black carpet with the metal mesh grille.

I could never figure out what was up with that trend. When my son first started playing bass, I got him an SWR bass amp that was covered in the same stuff, though I have to admit that it was pretty durable. Still, it was an eyesore!

I could never figure out what was up with that trend. When my son first started playing bass, I got him an SWR bass amp that was covered in the same stuff, though I have to admit that it was pretty durable. Still, it was an eyesore!

Oh, durable for sure, but man.....

I have cats, and before I could have a dedicated studio/music room the amps were out in the main part of the house. Those Riveras attracted cat hair, lint, dust - any possible thing you can imagine - and it was impossible to keep off!!!

However, I dropped my M100 combo down a flight of stairs once, and not only did the tubes and electronics survive, but so did the cab. Not a single indentation in that beast.

Reminds me of my old Bassman 4x12 cab. Vehicles and venues beware.

Yep - backs beware, too!!!! That 1x12 Rivera combo with an EVM12L weighed just over 100lbs. I HATED carrying it - despite Rivera's claim, there was NOTHING portable about that amp, lol!!!

Yep - backs beware, too!!!! That 1x12 Rivera combo with an EVM12L weighed just over 100lbs. I HATED carrying it - despite Rivera's claim, there was NOTHING portable about that amp, lol!!!
When I carry my MkIII combo by the handle, it burns my hand with the friction and leaves a black char mark. It’s only 64lbs. with the EV12L. :rolleyes: Put a handle on it and it’s instantly labeled “portable”. No wonder I need new knees.

When I carry my MkIII combo by the handle, it burns my hand with the friction and leaves a black char mark. It’s only 64lbs. with the EV12L. :rolleyes: Put a handle on it and it’s instantly labeled “portable”. No wonder I need new knees.

“Portable” doesn’t mean YOU should be the one “porting” it! ;)

On the other hand, they do make wheeled things like casters, handcarts, caster boards, etc. And ramps. I’m big on ramps.

Yes, the black leather Fillmore pictured in the thread above is mine. It’s a cool amp IMHO, and is different enough from my beloved PRS amps that there isn’t really an overlap. So I don’t feel guilty (much).

I was kind of going for a semi-vintage Hiwatt color scheme. Not my usual thing, but...

I usually do match head and cab, but black leather kind of goes with anything. I’m still thinking hardwood, like mahogany or blackwood. I figure it’d be just fine.

I LOVE the Barcelona Red Croc! I almost ordered it that way! Which grille material did you get? I think pics are needed.

Mine was supposed to have a black leather ‘grille’ instead of a woven grille material, but when it came I liked it with the black woven grille, so I decided not to return it.

I would love to post pictures, but FLICKR and Photobucket are both pretty lame now and I'm not paying for their services. If I can find a platform that actually works I will try to post some. (Just spent my whole lunch hour messing with Photobucket and got nowhere with it locking up).

Still haven't tried a new photo host yet... been stupid busy at work. I did have time to order a matching Fillmore 1x12 cabinet to match my combo though... Should have it around Christmas.

@LSchefman how do you like your Fillmore so far?

Back