Amps are addictive... I am an addict, and I need help...

I love amps, and I think if I had the space and means, I'd probably still own a few tube amps, but unfortunately my situation doesn't allow me to.
I really like my Fractal gear, because it at least fills in the sonic gap with lots of sounds to choose from, and I really only get to play later at night, so it works well.
But, man would I love to have a bunch of 4x12s in a row with some of the heads I used to own sitting on them. They definitely made me happy while they were here.
No doubt, the Axe Fx III is a life (and back) saver for me. I want to try a 4CM setup with some of my amps too, and another just using effects straight to the amp. Even if I went back to a standard amp setup for gigging, I’m not sure that I wouldn’t still use the Axe FX and RJM MMGT/22 as my pedalboard.

I’m one of those who can keep a foot in both worlds and be completely comfortable. For me, there’s no best... there are just options. Why lock yourself into one when you can have both, right? But I can certainly appreciate each for what they do, and that is what makes having both my choice. It also helps me to having no issue with someone who chooses to only use one or the other. Either way, I get it.

The AC30TB should arrive Thursday, after which time I hope to “get” why so many great guitarists have loved it for so long!

Adding a pic of the newest hole-filler in the guitarsenal of amplification options. Still shows to be on track for 12/10 delivery. A 1990-91 Vox AC30 Top Boost 30th Anniversary edition, bought, interestingly enough, in the 30th Anniversary year of the 30th Anniversary year.

ikkpS5L.jpg

Adding a pic of the newest hole-filler in the guitarsenal of amplification options. Still shows to be on track for 12/10 delivery. A 1990-91 Vox AC30 Top Boost 30th Anniversary edition, bought, interestingly enough, in the 30th Anniversary year of the 30th Anniversary year.

ikkpS5L.jpg
That's a classic beauty!

Unlike Dave the Kemper put my amp GAS in remission vs a cure. Post Kemper I bought a Marshall SV20 and matching cab and a Suhr PT15. I’m waiting on the matching Suhr cab. Today my GAS for an HX/DA is peaking. One is available about a forty minute drive from my home. Interestingly, the HXDA profile on my Kemper is one of my favs.

ikkpS5L.jpg

Looks almost identical to the one I sold a little over a year ago. Mine was new though. The top model they make now, hand wired, 2 Blues, etc. About $2K new.

Mine was a great sounding amp, and had their new master volume on it, which was pretty nice. Needed to be loud though to sound good.

Edit: I guess a more accurate way to say it would be, it needed to be loud to get "that Vox tone" that is the reason we buy them. Did pretty well at moderate volumes though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks almost identical to the one I sold a little over a year ago. Mine was new though. The top model they make now, hand wired, 2 Blues, etc. About $2K new.

Mine was a great sounding amp, and had their new master volume on it, which was pretty nice. Needed to be loud though to sound good.

Edit: I guess a more accurate way to say it would be, it needed to be loud to get "that Vox tone" that is the reason we buy them. Did pretty well at moderate volumes though.
Yes sir, “loud” is one adjective associated with these amps in every article and video review I’ve found. The Ox Box is at the ready. All jokes aside, that little box has paid for itself in allowing me to get what I want from the amps I have. It’s magical, really. As bad as I am on buying and selling things, I can finally say “too loud when it sounds right” is no longer a reason!

that little box has paid for itself in allowing me to get what I want from the amps I have. It’s magical, really.

A few years back, the Badcat Unleash was the greatest thing ever. Almost bought one on numerous occasions. Then the Power Station came out and was "better." Waited for a deal on a used one. HA. Still no real deals, might as well by new. Now, the OX comes out and might be even better still. But dang... costs more than I paid for my Archon. And, buying one would cost me about as much as the Splawn amp I want...

Unlike Dave the Kemper put my amp GAS in remission vs a cure. Post Kemper I bought a Marshall SV20 and matching cab and a Suhr PT15. I’m waiting on the matching Suhr cab. Today my GAS for an HX/DA is peaking. One is available about a forty minute drive from my home. Interestingly, the HXDA profile on my Kemper is one of my favs.
GET the HXDA... as a previous SV20 owner... And I did like that amp, the HXDA is on an entire different level and their resale prices are an outright bargain. Impeccably built and tone for DAYS. Let us know when she's in your clutches!

Yes, there’s no way around that, the Ox Box is an investment... you could buy a good amp for the price, no doubt. I bought mine new, just to try it out, so I could return it. I fully intended to do just that! But it turned out to be so useful, and the interface and cab models and FX sounded so good, I decided I’d rather do without something else and keep it. It was better sounding and more versatile in my situation than anything I’d used in the past, and that by a fair margin.

I have since started seeing them in everyone’s studios, then in every guitar video guru’s setup. Now I’m even seeing them pop up built into live rigs, and that’s an awesome use for them, too. I can’t remember who, but I saw a rig rundown where someone had two amps and two Ox Boxes right out on stage just a few days ago.

Of course, nothing’s for everybody, and if it isn’t solving a problem you have, that cash could go in 100 other places. It’s a huge help to me, so it’s worth every penny in my room. Your mileage may vary, for sure.

Looks like your Vox was a 60th Anniversary model, from what I can tell. Same cosmetics. The 30th has special made 20W greenbacks as original equipment, which I’ll likely relocate to another cab and replace with Blues, but I’ll let the sound decide. Just seems Blues (or some original silvers) are the “right” match for the Vox sound. The 60th would have had Blues, which weren’t being made in 91, I’ve read.

And, btw... FedEx strikes again. Second time in a row that I had a “direct signature only” package coming that they changed delivery date in the middle of the day I’d already wasted half of waiting for them. Frustrating. No AC30 until tomorrow.

Last edited:
GET the HXDA... as a previous SV20 owner... And I did like that amp, the HXDA is on an entire different level and their resale prices are an outright bargain. Impeccably built and tone for DAYS. Let us know when she's in your clutches!

It’s all about (bad) timing. Had the HXDA GAS hit before the Suhr PT15 arrived, I would have been all over it. The PT15 payment comes due on the next CC statement. I’m definitely moving the SV as soon as I defeat my chronic laziness syndrome. Just in case, what cab(s) work best with the HXDA? Do I need something like a Power Station or Ox to get the best results with the HXDA at manageable volume?

It’s all about (bad) timing. Had the HXDA GAS hit before the Suhr PT15 arrived, I would have been all over it. The PT15 payment comes due on the next CC statement. I’m definitely moving the SV as soon as I defeat my chronic laziness syndrome. Just in case, what cab(s) work best with the HXDA? Do I need something like a Power Station or Ox to get the best results with the HXDA at manageable volume?
No, you definitely don't need an attenuator with it and I actually have a Two Notes Captor-X, which is part of my live rig (I gig a Friedman Wildwood Smallbox 50)... Just to go to front of house with it (I don't use the attenuator feature)... And I never use the attenuator with the HXDA... the Master Volume is EXQUISITE! Mine happens to be a 2x12 combo with Celestion Greenbacks and it sounds KILLER, but I have run it through 4 other 2x12's with various speaker combos and honestly, it sounds great through all of them... I DO think I prefer the "Greenback thing" though, for this amp...Two Vintage Plexi models + Greenback-flavored speakers = Heaven.

I don't use this live, but I do record with it and man, it records so well... There's so many voices to be had. If I were gigging it and really needed an effects loop (even though I'd probably just go in front, old school).... Maybe I'd look into one of those units that provide an effects loop to use... But for my usage, I really don't miss a loop.

Last edited:
The Vox is in. As often is my lot in life, it was not working on arrival. If there is a plus to this, it’s that I know what the inside of my amps look like, and a bit on the construction used.

As this is a PRS forum, I’m not going to make this long. I found a connector that provides power to the preamp tube section had lost contact. Fixed that. The Vib/Trem oscillator tube was also out of it’s socket. Went through and seated everything, checked all connections. Thankfully, it roared to life.

Sound is impressive, and certainly “Voxy.” And it is loud. Making-the-grill-cloth-wave-like-ocean-current-through-sea-water loud. It is hard to believe this is 30 watts. As it is a 16 ohm output, I used my Weber Z-Matcher to connect it to my 8 ohm 2x12 Morgan cab w/ Alnico Blues in it to see what would be different from the stock 20W greenbacks. With the Blues it is cleaner, clearer, and even more Voxy. I’ll probably be making that swap in the future, as I think I prefer the sound.

Sound-wise, and looks-wise, it’s a winner. Very convincing classic Vox sound, especially through the Blues, with a touch more Marshallesque feel with the Greenies.

Construction is, frankly, disappointing. I don’t really mind the circuit boards as opposed to tag boards, as a lot of good amps use them. But the cabinet is particle board as far as I can tell, instead of the wood originals, some of the captive nuts holding the amp chassis in were no longer “captive” (repaired those while inside), and the tube sockets don’t feel like the quality units on some other amps. It’s not the worst I’ve seen, but it certainly bears out how good sound can come from less than the best components and workmanship. All I have read about the pros and cons of Vox amps came to mind as I got acquainted with my new house guest.

So, to sum it up, it is a cool looking, and cool sounding, amp. One of those I have felt the desire to explore for a while. One more box checked off. :)

Edit:
After a couple of hours of playing, I have to admit that it’s impressive. The sound is absolutely recognizable and the oft-used term “chime” comes to mind regularly. It’s a tone that cuts through, but isn’t ice picky... glassy is a better word to describe it. Very clear, while remaining warmly round. I can see why people like it. It sounds like what I’ve always thought of when “Vox AC30TB” comes up in conversation. I like it.

And did I mention loud? Wow. The low end rattles anything that’s loose around the room. Really full, space filling projection, even turned down to about 9 o’clock or so (about 1/4 to 1/3 power) on the dial. The Ox Box will be my friend with this one!

Last edited:
Right now I'm still stuck in the endless loop of Vox/Matchless/Bad Cat/Morgan/Vintage/JMI...All are truly excellent. But I'm starting to look again, so...
I'll be honest... I should have given the Morgan a try first. Take a look at the Dual 20 while you're shopping. I've already had this one quit on me twice, and as good as it sounds, you know that isn't going to work. I'm discussing it with the music store now to see what can be done. Disappointing! At least with a new amp, you have better options... and a warranty.

Last edited:
My Axe FX makes a great FX unit + switch controller for my tube amps.

In all honesty it’s awfully nice of its own as well. And perfect for gigs.
Yes sir, I’ve been gigging Axe Fx units of one sort or another since 2011. The simplicity of getting everything from one box is hard to beat, and the quality just keeps improving, as do the models and FX. I love a roaring tube amp, but it would be hard for me to transition back for gigging, especially given the non-arena type situations I play in.

I still enjoy the amps for things where the volume is less a factor. With the Ox Box, though, there are possibilities. Of course, as soon as I started using it, live gig work slowed to a trickle! Oh well, the world will turn again before too long.

Back