Differences between SC245 and the Stripped 58?

In the evolution of PRS guitars, were the SC245's and the Stripped 58's ever identical in specs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
Today I was trying to figure out the differences between the SC245 and the Stripped 58. This came about because I got to looking closely at my 2013 SC245 (below) and started noticing that it looked awfully similar to a Stripped 58. From there I tried to nail down the specs for each guitar but discovered that the SC245 seems to have had a long evolutionary process where drastically different hardware options were used. Some SC245's had a 1 piece bridge while others a 2 piece bridge/tailpiece. Different pickups too, but both always seemed to have the same 24.5" scale length.

The version of the SC245 that I have (at least that what the TRC says) seems to be VERY close to the specs of the McCarty Singlecut 594. A direct relative in my estimation. It's so close in fact that I've found myself thinking, "Why get a Singlecut 594 when this SC245 is close enough?"

So, I realize that PRS guitar models evolve, but is it safe to say that at some point along the way, the SC245 and the Stripped 58 were the exact same guitar?

Pictured below is my PRS SC245 with an aluminum stopbar tailpiece and 57/08 pickups.

PRS-SC245-RedBurst_2730.jpg

PRS-SC245-RedBurst_2731.jpg

From the factory I think you could option up the striped 58 to look like the 245.. Binding, headstock, birds etc...

I think the stripped had dots standard. (Could be wrong). And missing some other visual bits, but playing wise I think they are/were basically the same guitar depending on the year. (2012,2013 era)

Sweet looking 245 too!

No difference, the SC58 had the binding, artist grade top, etc., but the stripped 58 Is more like the regular production model, unless you order 10 top. Specs of the recent 245 and stripped are the same.

This is all from memory so some of it may be off.

2000 - 2007 - PRS made the "Singlecut" which was the one that Gibson sued them over and lost. McCarty one piece bridge.
2007 - 2010 ish? The original singlecut got different, hotter pickups and was renamed the SC250. Also introduced was the SC245 which was the same except 24.5" scale and more vintage style pickups (SC245 pickups). Both had the McCarty one piece bridge.
2011 - both those were discontinued, and the SC58 was released. It had lots and lots of bling and was really expensive. It introduced the new PRS designed 2 piece bridge. 24.5" scale length. It now had 57/08 pickups, right?
2012 - stripped 58 was released which was just like the SC58 without the bling, 24.5" scale, 2 piece bridge, 57/08s
2013 - The stripped 58 was renamed the SC245 and I think you could get all the bling of the SC58 with artist packages and stuff like that

Then it was what, 2015/2016 when the SC594 was released. Different pickups, different neck carve, different control layout, slightly different scale length.

The Stripped 58 could be had with dots or moons, can’t remember, but I had one. The top wasn’t as fancy as the SC58. I don’t believe it had a binding on the fretboard.

My SC245 had a binding. It’s the only difference I remember at the moment.

Hello, my name is Michał and I'm from Europe, I would like to ask about SC-58 McCarty Tabacco Sunburst from 2012. I'm interested in this guitar to buy it in local. Can You help me to confirm if it's real good gitar not fake etc ?
I'm not sure if it's real because (I'm not a PRS expert :/ ):
1. lack of birds on fretboard,
2. neck head is solid painted,
3. the fretboard rod cover is "solid" without SC58 mark.
Is that normal ?

Number: 12193607
some pictures:
image;s=1000x700
image;s=1000x700
image;s=1000x700

It is a Stripped 58 and not a SC 58. The previous posts in this thread highlight the differences between them.

I'm asking because the owner (actual) insist on that this is SC-58 McCarty Tobacco Sunburst model.

All three your remarks above indicate that it is a Stripped 58. Additionally, the SC 58 would also have fretboard binding. Guess the owner is misinformed about his particular model of PRS.

Hello, my name is Michał and I'm from Europe, I would like to ask about SC-58 McCarty Tabacco Sunburst from 2012. I'm interested in this guitar to buy it in local. Can You help me to confirm if it's real good gitar not fake etc ?
I'm not sure if it's real because (I'm not a PRS expert :/ ):
1. lack of birds on fretboard,
2. neck head is solid painted,
3. the fretboard rod cover is "solid" without SC58 mark.
Is that normal ?

Number: 12193607
some pictures:
image;s=1000x700
image;s=1000x700
image;s=1000x700

Regardless of what they call it, it is a very nice PRS guitar and there is no need to be concerned about it being a fake. I've actually been looking for one like that, and in that color finish too.

If you buy it, there will be a code written inside the pickup cavity which is called a MODCAT. This club site has instructions on how to interpret the modcat which will tell you specifically what model it is.

I can also tell you that this design was one of the evolutionary steps which led to the current production model which is called a McCarty SC 594. So that means that it is VERY close to being a McCarty SC 594. If you don't buy it, let me know who is selling it so that I can consider it. I love that color!

Back