Difference between Mannmade 2000NOS and 2040 Vibrato Bridge

oranheim

Hello,

Recently I bought PRS CE 24 (2019) and I'd like to replace my bridge with either a MannMade NOS2000 or 2040 Vibrato Bridge.

What is the difference between the two?

Are there any sonic difference between the Nickel and the Hybrid Nickel / Gold?

Cheers,
Ove

The NOS is a 1 piece casting like the original bridges. The other is joined by screws like the current ones.

The construction is all brass, the hybrid just mixes up the plating, the gold's softness might have an effect on the tone, but it's cosmetic more than any thing else.

This

Do the 2040 bridges still have branding on it? The Mann Made site doesn't show it but the Guitar Vault does.

The NOS is a 1 piece casting like the original bridges. The other is joined by screws like the current ones.

Must admit that this goes way above my head. I'm not familiar with the "current ones", so it's hard to figure out which one to chose :) Are there any benefits with 2040 as oposed to the 2000 NOS? Thanks for helping.

The newer design has large screws connecting the top plate with the trem block (look under the saddles...yep, those are the screws). The older design was a single casting (sand mold they pour molten metal into to create the entire bridge in one step...no screws to hold it together. PRS is about design evolution and this is one of those examples. Let’s ask @sergiodeblanc his opinion on the topic...

Hello,

Recently I bought PRS CE 24 (2019) and I'd like to replace my bridge with either a MannMade NOS2000 or 2040 Vibrato Bridge.

What is the difference between the two?

Are there any sonic difference between the Nickel and the Hybrid Nickel / Gold?

Cheers,
Ove

I have the same question as you..

I have the same question as you..

The construction is all brass, the hybrid just mixes up the plating, the gold's softness might have an effect on the tone, but it's cosmetic more than any thing else.

I just bought a 2018 CE 24 and am trying to decide whether to wait for the 2000 NOS to be back in stock (August or September per John Mann) or buy the 2040 now. I get the difference between 1 and 2 pieces, but not what effect it has. Does anyone have any experience with both? Do they sound or perform different? Or materially different? Appreciate any help

I would say biggest benefit would be potential to swap out tremolo blocks on the 2 piece. Can chose between cold roll steel or brass blocks. Traditionally PRS used brass, but are trying to advertise the modern bolt ons (like the CE and silver sky) as using steel blocks like Fender.

Either bridge is a big upgrade compared to the stock molded bridge. Hell I loved John's bridge a lot more than the silver sky bridge; but the SS is not floated like the rest of the PRS line. Using the manmade tremolo arm is much smoother; the sustain is phenomenal. Can't go wrong with either. But NOS tend to take forever to get in stock and quickly sell out. I

I would say biggest benefit would be potential to swap out tremolo blocks on the 2 piece. Can chose between cold roll steel or brass blocks. Traditionally PRS used brass, but are trying to advertise the modern bolt ons (like the CE and silver sky) as using steel blocks like Fender.

Either bridge is a big upgrade compared to the stock molded bridge. Hell I loved John's bridge a lot more than the silver sky bridge; but the SS is not floated like the rest of the PRS line. Using the manmade tremolo arm is much smoother; the sustain is phenomenal. Can't go wrong with either. But NOS tend to take forever to get in stock and quickly sell out. I
Thanks. Interesting. So you're saying there may be an advantage to the two piece if i decide i want a cold rolled steel block instead of brass. hmm. I was thinking that the NOS2000 was probably better bc it was one piece.

Pretty much the only advantage I could think of for a 2 piece. If you can wait I would call John and ask to be put on waiting list if he has one. Call him; do not email or message. It's going to be very hard to find that 2000 bridge when John retires one day. It will always hold its value on the used market. Two piece bridges are pretty much the standard nowadays amongst brands.

Pretty much the only advantage I could think of for a 2 piece. If you can wait I would call John and ask to be put on waiting list if he has one. Call him; do not email or message. It's going to be very hard to find that 2000 bridge when John retires one day. It will always hold its value on the used market. Two piece bridges are pretty much the standard nowadays amongst brands.
Got it. So definitely better to try for the 2000. I will give him a call.

I immediately replaced the MIK PRS bridge on my 2016 CE24 with a 2000NOS and the difference is night and day. I've never used a MannMade 2-peice, but the 2000NOS transformed my low-end core model from something pretty good to something magnificent.

An important difference that people are overlooking is that the 2000 is made from red brass while the 2040 is made from yellow brass. Of the two, the 2040 is going to cut through the mix better (here is a page that describes the different brass alloys used in musical instrument production: https://www.normans.co.uk/blogs/blog/difference-brass-finish-make-musical-instrument). All of the currently existing 2000 bridges were manufactured using a bridge blanks that were cast when John was still manufacturing bridges for PRS. That is why the model sports NOS (New Old Stock).

For those who are hesitant to purchase the 2040 because of the branding, I too was initially turned off by it. However, it kind of fades into the background after the guitar is setup and strung. I do not know why John chose to brand the bridge plate on its face instead of on the back like other manufacturers do, but I suspect that it is due to IP protection, so that no one mistakes it for a genuine second generation PRS trem (it is higher quality than a Gen 2 bridge). John more than likely holds the rights to manufacture the one-piece bridge without infringement.

Here is my 2019 translucent scarlett CE24 with the 2040 trem installed:

0qCnhej.jpg

Back