Which PRS model would best complement custom 24 and silver sky?

greyhatninja

Eventually I’d like to add another model to my collection (I also have two Taylor acoustics so I’m covered there). I currently own and S2 custom 24 that I fully upgraded with core parts and a mannmade bridge. I also own the Silver sky. I love both of these guitars but would like to add another eventually. Which PRS model do you think would give me added versatility to what I have now?

Eventually I’d like to add another model to my collection (I also have two Taylor acoustics so I’m covered there). I currently own and S2 custom 24 that I fully upgraded with core parts and a mannmade bridge. I also own the Silver sky. I love both of these guitars but would like to add another eventually. Which PRS model do you think would give me added versatility to what I have now?
I'd agree with the suggestions above. McCarty 594, or just a regular McCarty.

The options are aplenty: SE, S2 and core all carry them in several incarnations.

90's CE-22 with Dragon 1's. Get one! (Can't have either of mine!)

And a Bernie Marsden or two and put real PRS 57/08 pickups in it.

Last edited:
Is 594 more versatile in tone than the DGT?
It's not more versatile, it's not less versatile, they're different. A lot has to do with scale length, bridges, pickups, controls, etc.

A CU24 is an incredibly versatile guitar, and I don't think of it as only a modern rock guitar. It was designed with the ability to get lots of different tones, it succeeded for that reason, and is still PRS' best selling model.

But do you want versatile or different? Or both?

I think you'll notice more of a difference between what you have already and a 594. You'll notice more similarity between a CU24 and a DGT (I have both of these in my little handful of PRS').

A 594 is more like a Les Paul in tone. The bridge is quite different from what you have, resulting in a very woody, vintage style tone. And the pickups are different and more vintage-sounding. It's versatile, but who knows what your idea of versatility might be? There are no absolutes.

A DGT is essentially a version of the McCarty Trem (that dealers can still order in Wood Library runs, I had one before my DGT). The Grissom touches are the trem, the control layout and the pickups. That's all a matter of taste. The DGT and the McCarty are certainly versatile, but not ALL that different from what you've got in the CU24.

However, there are other PRS models worth considering, if you want both different and versatile and don't feel you need a Les Paul style tone: the Paul's Guitar and the Modern Eagle V. The 408 narrowfield pickups are definitely their own thing, and there's a crispness and beauty to their tone that's unique.

Last edited:
It's not more versatile, it's not less versatile, they're different. A lot has to do with scale length, bridges, pickups, controls, etc.

A CU24 is an incredibly versatile guitar, and I don't think of it as only a modern rock guitar. It was designed with the ability to get lots of different tones, it succeeded for that reason, and is still PRS' best selling model.

But do you want versatile or different? Or both?

I think you'll notice more of a difference between what you have already and a 594. You'll notice more similarity between a CU24 and a DGT (I have both of these in my little handful of PRS').

A 594 is more like a Les Paul in tone. The bridge is quite different from what you have, resulting in a very woody, vintage style tone. And the pickups are different and more vintage-sounding. It's versatile, but who knows what your idea of versatility might be? There are no absolutes.

A DGT is essentially a version of the McCarty Trem (that dealers can still order in Wood Library runs, I had one before my DGT). The Grissom touches are the trem, the control layout and the pickups. That's all a matter of taste. The DGT and the McCarty are certainly versatile, but not ALL that different from what you've got in the CU24.

However, there are other PRS models worth considering, if you want both different and versatile and don't feel you need a Les Paul style tone: the Paul's Guitar and the Modern Eagle V. The 408 narrowfield pickups are definitely their own thing, and there's a crispness and beauty to their tone that's unique.

Yea these are very good points. I have started to look at MEV as well but even though it had 17 tonal options I was thinking maybe my custom 24 might be kind of similar to the “prime colors” of the MEV, but maybe that’s not the case. So kind of sounding like 594

The 594 offers tones and playability like no other guitar on Planet Earth, especially with the splits and 4-knob layout. Blending volume knobs in the middle position gives tones a single-volume guitar cannot accomplish. The 58/18LT pickups are sensational. The bridge is fantastic. The neck is the most comfortable to play. The scale length is not hype, it's perfect. The whole package delivers a sonic palette that knows no equal.

FILL THINE HORN WITH OIL, AND GO!

I would suggest the Special Semi Hollow. It’s definitely taking a right turn, but I really enjoy it as it is a different take than the usual suspects. That being said, the DGT has proven to be a winner too.

I don’t have a 594.

Yet.

I’d say play some singlecuts. There’s no bad PRS answer there. If my dim and somewhat recessive memory serves me, I heard JMintzer play his SC245 at a DC Blues society open mike. I now have one. Each SC has something remarkable and different about it. And don’t forget the Tremonti guitars, Vastly underrated.

What type/genre of music do you play?

Back