Which PRS model would best complement custom 24 and silver sky?

What type/genre of music do you play?

Quite a bit of different types I want to play. Here’s some examples of some different types:

Probably 75% electric and 25% acoustic stuff

AC/DC
Metallica
Weezer
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Aerosmith
Green Day
Collective Soul
White stripes
Black keys
Arctic Monkeys
U2
Phil collins
Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Eric Clapton
Jim Croce
The Animals or other flavors of house of the rising sun
Peter Paul & Mary or Justing Timberlakes version from inside llewyn davis of ‘500 miles’

Quite a bit of different types I want to play. Here’s some examples of some different types:

Probably 75% electric and 25% acoustic stuff

AC/DC
Metallica
Weezer
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Aerosmith
Green Day
Collective Soul
White stripes
Black keys
Arctic Monkeys
U2
Phil collins
Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Eric Clapton
Jim Croce
The Animals or other flavors of house of the rising sun
Peter Paul & Mary or Justing Timberlakes version from inside llewyn davis of ‘500 miles’
So I always try to find something in a new guitar that I don’t have covered with my existing guitars. You can cover a lot of ground between your Strat and Custom 24. A semi-hollow guitar could offer some distinctive tones beyond what a solid body can produce. Similarly, different types of pickups can produce different colors of sound as well. I personally thank every guitar player should have at least one guitar equipped with P90 pickups. Lately I am into guitars that have a combination of different pickups, like my PRS S2 Vela, which by the way is available with a solid or semi-hollow body.
Take your time and try a bunch of different guitars and you may just find “the one”.

With a list that starts with AC/DC, I say again....

FIVENINEFOUR. It doesn't get any better.
He will have a much easier time of copping an Angus Young sound with an S2 594 Thinline, or even the Custom 24 he already owns. A Mira could get the job done as well.

If you can't tell which sound your are seeking of the complementary guitar, then you must decide by optical preferences: Hollowbody vs. Solidbody, bridge type (vintage, FR, Bigsby, fixed (TOM, stoptail; stoptail only, string through), body type single cut vs. double cut, pickup layout (SSS, SSH, HSH, HH, NF etc.), 22 vs. 24 frets, new vs. used.

Your S2 and SilSky are both double cuts, one with HH, the other with SSS layout. Is soundwise then something missed?
Maybe an 594 could be - due to other scale be an opportunity to go for.

Personally I decided once for a core model, which could have been the best of all worlds (if an piezo bridge would have been added). Nevertheless w/o piezo it's my best of most of all worlds with its given sounds by SSS, P90SP90* (or mini-HSmini-H)*, HSH voicings (in total 13).
A PRS 513.

Discontiued to the advantage of the 509, which is not a 513 w/o the heavy humbucking voicing. 509's humbuckers are vintage voiced only.

Talking about a new guitar, then I would go for the Fiore.

Or you could go in a total different direction with the NF53 or Myles Kennedy signature (both fixed bridges, both single cuts).

*comparable sound

Back