Did you play a Guitar Today?? Or just look at a PRS on the wall.

I hope you’re getting paid the $10,000 per show you deserve for playing in weather like that!

Dream:
But of course (because musicians are ALWAYS appropriately paid) and thank goodness for the inclement weather bonus in my rider.

Reality:
One of the local shop owners let us hang out in their pleasantly heated store between sets and gave us vodka/cranberry to drink. Got a lot of "How are you guys even able to play right now? It's sooo cold!" from the attendees. Got good tips (though not as good as the same gig last year, which was only slightly less frigid).

This, my friends, is why I'm glad to keep my corporate job a while longer.

Haha. The tip of my right thumb and big toe were going numb by the end! I have another one on the 24th that is apparently outside, too. Thankfully it's only two hours this time.
Take hand warmers. We did a race gig for a morning marathon in Indy in, like, April. It was 29 degrees F. Had a blast despite the fookin’ frigid weather. It was also the only band pic ever with coats!
southernreservecold.jpg

Last edited:
Practiced at least and hour every day for the last two weeks. Have to say the more I do it the more confident I feel with trying even more innovative ways to make sounds. Each of my guitars has it's own nuances so dialing in the sweets spots for each is fun and interesting. It does seem to take time and lots of listening to really understand and get the best sound I want from each instrument. Every time I pick one up there seems to be a learning/growing experience that keeps me hooked. Getting ready to play w 3 other guitarists and a bass Sat. so I want to bring in some new ideas to the game. :):D

Sigh - mostly looking today. More back crackin’ (chiro) tomorrow so we’ll see!

Spent the better part of last night working on Kemper profiles, after starting the Christmas decorating. The Kemper fairy bequeathed me a metric butt-ton of profiles and Ive been doing a bunch of tone auditioning. Funny how most of my favorites are of amps I've owned in the past. The SAS, Copperhead 594, and 93 CU24 all got turns on the profiles. Very productive thankfully.

Spent several hours playing around with my old digitech rp150 yesterday in the pool house. Pulled it out the closet for the drum simulator but ended having some fun with it.

I pulled something out of the past yesterday. Just being a tease until I get to post some pics.

Technically, I played yesterday because Saturday's gig went until 1 AM. Duo gig at a bar in a country town outside of Atlanta. Can always count on some drunken idiocy and at least one request for "Wagon Wheel".

Catching up on my reading...hope the back crackin went well and you marathon practiced! Keep pushing thru the pain! I always wanted to say that...I can't, therefore I teach.;):D
Thanks Scott! Chiro helped, got some playing time in this weekend, but not too much due to errands - we’re hosting Thanksgiving for our extended family again this year. Last year I woke up with the vertigo so I’m pretty sure this year will be better! :)

Take hand warmers. We did a race gig for a morning marathon in Indy in, like, April. It was 29 degrees F. Had a blast despite the fookin’ frigid weather. It was also the only band pic ever with coats!
southernreservecold.jpg

Hot Hands did the trick today! Temp for today's gig was maybe 50. Grabbing that little packet of heat between songs was a big help.

Atomic just did an update to the AA3 (and other models) that now includes an Archon! I loaded it late tonight and got to try it a little at lower volumes, since the wifey was already in bed. Sounds pretty good! I played it for about 30 minutes and really liked it. One more incentive for me to go get a small FRFR so I can start using the 3 (or the 12 I just ordered ;)) for some of my smaller gigs where I need a variety of tones but don’t want to haul amps, cabs and pedalboards.

It also gives me another really nice amp model to play late at night.

I had found a Rockman patch on the Kemper and I was so geeked, I recorded a quick video of me playing the bridge/solo section of "Don't Look Back" (which I had just learned this morning) for one of my buds who is also a big Boston fan. I had the song playing in the background for reference but mixed low as I played along with my PRS SVN. The tone of the patch was very spot on, IMO, which is why the camera was facing toward the cabinet instead of me for maximum sonic capture.

Last edited:
Back