Not PRS related - but a good lesson in buying a new guitar

Craig Scott

This story is a few years old now but in my opinion one worth telling.

Back in 2012, I had a Yamaha acoustic guitar, I can't remember the model (are they APX or something?). It wasn't the greatest but it did what I needed at the time. I walked into the local guitar shop simply to buy some new strings for the Yam. But as ever, the draw of all the lovely new acoustics that were hanging up on the wall was beckoning me over.

I pulled up a stool and started to noodle about with one. At this point the salesman came over and asked what I was looking for. "Some new strings" I said, at which point he smiled and gave me a reassuring nod of the head. That sort of nod that any guitarist would give you when he/she knew fine well that GAS is always lurking close to the surface and that it would be rude not to try out some new guitars - not that I'll be buying one, honest.

Anyway, he brought over 3 guitar stands and told me, if possible, do not look at the names on the headstocks and work my way through the guitars until I had 3 left, then play those 3 until there was one left that "spoke" to me.

The wall was adorned with Taylors, Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, Seagulls, Takamines and an assortment of others that I had never heard of before. I had been in many times before so I knew what makes they had on display, but I did not know where each one was hanging on the wall. So I spent the next couple of hours picking up guitars and systematically working my way through them with the 3 guitar stands repeatedly exchanging models.

Eventually, I had 3 guitars left that seemed to be the ones that worked for me - still unaware of their make. After another lengthy session alternating between the 3 guitars I had one left. The guitar that felt right, was the easiest to play, had the best feeling neck and action and above anything sounded fantastic.

That guitar was a Freshman FA400D. Needless to say, I walked out of the shop there and then with that guitar and still have it now. Every time I pick it up she blows me away with the tone.

My point to this story is, I thought that was a great way to choose a guitar. I, along with many others can become a little obsessed with the name on the headstock. If I had been choosing a guitar I would have probably skipped straight past the Freshman to the big name guitars simply because I had never heard of a Freshman. Even after listening to the Freshman I bet I would still subconsciously think that the Taylors and Martins sounded better just because...well they are Taylors and Martins, so surely they have to be the best, don't they?

So if you are in the market for a new guitar and lets face it, who isn't, try using the above methods. Granted it would be a little harder with electric guitars because the Tele, Strat, PRS, LP etc each have their unique individual looks but you get my point.

You may just be surprised by the outcome.

I bought my first PRS (SE CU24) this way; or almost this way.

I traveled to Exeter (uk) to try a Godin A4 Ultra. The manager had imported it from Canada just for me but with no stocking fee etc. I met up with a pal there and after lunch we went to the shop. Very sadly i knew the Godin was not right immediately I picked it up. Top e too close to edge of fretboard!

Well the manager wasnt there, but his young staff made it their mission to try and sell me something. So my pal and I sat in booth playing guitars the whole afternoon. The staff just loaded up the racks outside constantly. Another Godin played beautifully but had an indifferent sound. Then I noticed they had placed the SE CU24 in the rack. Now, I would never have picked one of these up myself. I had played some PRS models several years prior, and they just didn't do anything for me.

However, I picked it up and immediately knew it would play wonderfully. It was nicely set up & felt comfy. The clincher was the sound. It sounded miles better than anything else that day and the decision to take it home was made almost immediately. This was in spite of the presence of the trem bridge which I really did not want! I was just so tired of blocking up trem cavities and had decided enough was enough. No more trems! Except of course I got one more trem after all. Yes I did block it up, and yes I did change the strings to 10-46. But I could not deny that guitar.

I bought my first PRS (SE CU24) this way; or almost this way.

I traveled to Exeter (uk) to try a Godin A4 Ultra. The manager had imported it from Canada just for me but with no stocking fee etc. I met up with a pal there and after lunch we went to the shop. Very sadly i knew the Godin was not right immediately I picked it up. Top e too close to edge of fretboard!

Well the manager wasnt there, but his young staff made it their mission to try and sell me something. So my pal and I sat in booth playing guitars the whole afternoon. The staff just loaded up the racks outside constantly. Another Godin played beautifully but had an indifferent sound. Then I noticed they had placed the SE CU24 in the rack. Now, I would never have picked one of these up myself. I had played some PRS models several years prior, and they just didn't do anything for me.

However, I picked it up and immediately knew it would play wonderfully. It was nicely set up & felt comfy. The clincher was the sound. It sounded miles better than anything else that day and the decision to take it home was made almost immediately. This was in spite of the presence of the trem bridge which I really did not want! I was just so tired of blocking up trem cavities and had decided enough was enough. No more trems! Except of course I got one more trem after all. Yes I did block it up, and yes I did change the strings to 10-46. But I could not deny that guitar.

I've just purchased my first PRS in a similar fashion. I'm predominantly a Tele man and also own a Lucille for the blues.

Earlier this week I was wandering about in a guitar shop in Leeds and thought I'd try a couple of axes that I wasn't familiar with; a Gibson LP and a PRS SE Custom 24. Like you, I really wasn't interested in a PRS but still thought I'd have a play.

I was immediately blown away with everything about it. I tried the LP but in my opinion it wasn't a patch on the SE. I went home and tried my hardest to forget about it but that just didn't work...it's being delivered tomorrow!

Now don't get me wrong, I know it's not a Core but I still thought it was a lot of guitar for comparatively little money.

Can't wait for it to arrive.

Now don't get me wrong, I know it's not a Core but I still thought it was a lot of guitar for comparatively little money.

It doesn't need to be a core though. YT comparisons have shown that the major build differences are for longevity. Cores are built from premium parts for distance! Sustain is the other (Try Anderton's SE/Core trial) difference. Cores sustain longer.

Just sticking to those 2 points for now: The perceived wisdom is that every player wants more sustain. That's not true. I find too much sustain impacts tone overall including the attack (as well as decay). I think of the more muted tonal qualities of the SE CU24 as similar to that of a traditional hollowbody where features such a wooden floating bridge robs sustain. It does however add a beautiful woody warmth and bell like timbre that is still prized by archtop users. Personally I like the SE CU24 sound for what it is. Not because its 'good for its price point'. I dont want to replace its pickups nor its nut. They are perfect for the tone I enjoy.

As for longevity. If I was 25 years old and had one guitar, the core models would appeal much more to me. But I'm 65 with several guitars. I am not going to wear out my SE before I wear myself out!

Any instrument is incredibly personal, especially guitars with all the material, hardware and cosmetic options.

What is right for one may not be for others.

Enjoy your new guitar.

It doesn't need to be a core though. YT comparisons have shown that the major build differences are for longevity. Cores are built from premium parts for distance! Sustain is the other (Try Anderton's SE/Core trial) difference. Cores sustain longer.

Just sticking to those 2 points for now: The perceived wisdom is that every player wants more sustain. That's not true. I find too much sustain impacts tone overall including the attack (as well as decay). I think of the more muted tonal qualities of the SE CU24 as similar to that of a traditional hollowbody where features such a wooden floating bridge robs sustain. It does however add a beautiful woody warmth and bell like timbre that is still prized by archtop users. Personally I like the SE CU24 sound for what it is. Not because its 'good for its price point'. I dont want to replace its pickups nor its nut. They are perfect for the tone I enjoy.

As for longevity. If I was 25 years old and had one guitar, the core models would appeal much more to me. But I'm 65 with several guitars. I am not going to wear out my SE before I wear myself out!

Some great points raised there. To be honest I just used Core as an example, what I was trying to say is that it isn't one of the top dollar models. Personally, I couldn't afford anything like that but when I picked the SE up and played it I thought it was great in every aspect - so there was no need to go for a more expensive model. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that they are truly wonderful guitars but throwing a couple of grand at a guitar is not something that I could do. I'm also not prescious about my guitars. What I mean by that is that I don't mind knocks, scrapes etc - I think they add to the character of the guitar. Now if I had a very expensive guitar I would be afraid to use it - it would become more of an ornament than an instrument and that is something that I am definitely not wanting.

The guitar arrives this afternoon so it looks like I am finishing work early today!!

Some great points raised there. To be honest I just used Core as an example, what I was trying to say is that it isn't one of the top dollar models. Personally, I couldn't afford anything like that but when I picked the SE up and played it I thought it was great in every aspect - so there was no need to go for a more expensive model. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that they are truly wonderful guitars but throwing a couple of grand at a guitar is not something that I could do. I'm also not prescious about my guitars. What I mean by that is that I don't mind knocks, scrapes etc - I think they add to the character of the guitar. Now if I had a very expensive guitar I would be afraid to use it - it would become more of an ornament than an instrument and that is something that I am definitely not wanting.

The guitar arrives this afternoon so it looks like I am finishing work early today!!

Dont forget to post an NGD. :)

I had a somewhat similar experience, I kept passing over the CE when I went to guitar center, I thought it wasn't a real PRS! I would try the custom 22, custom 24, mccarty's, standards etc. one day I had tried them all at one time or another so I decided to try out that lowly CE on the wall... whoa! that was awesome! Thats the sound/feel I like! I put it back and tried another next time at another store, same thing! So I went eBay hunting for a used one and bought that, same thing! Then I bought another...

Back