DGT pickups in my DGT Standard. Replace?

lifesonRules

Hey everyone. I love this guitar. The neck, the weight, the feel. I am having trouble getting along with the pickups. I am looking for a brighter and tighter attack. I realize the all hog wood on this guitar is anti bright with tight attack, but I have traded numerous guitars. I am not trading this one. I have Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge of my strat, and I love it. I like the 498T in the bridge of my Les Paul. Any suggestions for pickup replacements? I still want to be able to split the coils. I don't want to completely neuter what a DGT does, but I am forced to dime the treble and sink the mids on my 6l6 Kustom Coupe, as well as dime the treble on my Visual Sound comp to get any sparkle out of this guitar. I play modern worship at church, and I like textural sounds ala the Edge and Lifeson. I like to bring the gain at times, and there are times when the DGT pickups nail that tone, then the next time I play them it is blanket over the amp city. I want a more present and brighter sound, but not brittle. I also want a warm middle position when I need to cop those Hillsong type worship tunes.

Pearly Gates set?

Last edited:
I have m pickups in my DGT ..love them. Not just for metal either .

Just to throw this out, have you tried adjusting the pickup height? I found my Mira was too bright, so I lowered the pickups, which warmed up the sound. If you haven't yet, you might want to try raising the DGT's pickups.

If that doesn't work, then, well, the pickups in my Mira--which is also an all mahogany body--are pretty bright and snappy. I believe they're 245s or variations thereof (Mine's a 2008).

Thanks for the feedback. I have lowered the pickups and raised the polepieces. I was not able to test it with a cranked amp , for it was much to late at home (did not want to wake up the kids), but I will test the guitar out today for more adjustments. I have a Duncan 59 trembucker laying around that I am curious about trying in this guitar. The Starla or Mira pickups sound intriguing. I am sure I could sell the DGT'S, but getting my hands on those pickups might be difficult.

I also rotated the neck pickup so the polepieces were closer to the bridge. The pickup fell and dinged the face of the guitar. ARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHH. The first ding always hurts!!!!

Ouch, sorry. I'm a little confused on why the pickup was removed, though, and the adjustment being made. As I understand it, anyway, pole pieces are typically adjusted for string to string balance; the entire pickup height is adjusted for output, brightness and harmonics.

If you mean you took the entire pickup out and put it in upside down, then no, you shouldn't be doing that unless you're going for a kind of out of phase sound.

Last edited:
I think for worship you would definitely do really well with a very chimey pickup. Something like a little Gretch in flavor, like the starla/mira.

I don't know that the Mira pickups are particularly chimey. They're hottish-output PAFs. In fact, they're uncovered 245s with an additional lead to split the coils.

I don't know that the Mira pickups are particularly chimey. They're hottish-output PAFs. In fact, they're uncovered 245s with an additional lead to split the coils.

I can say that the pickups in my Mira are considerably brighter and have lower output than those in my other guitar with humbuckers, which has Duncan Seth Lovers. They're even brighter and lower output than the P90s in my G&L. If you're wondering that is not with the coils tapped.

Interesting. I have a set, which I bought for a guitar that has since been sold and I didn't get around to using them so I can 't comment on the sound, but they come in at 8.6 kΩ and 9.6 kΩ on my multimeter.

Never played a DGT I disliked...just ones I preferred more. Would adjusting your rig be of any use - turn up the the treble/ presence or turn down the bass?

Hello Everyone. I had a death in the family and did not get a chance to play my DGT for over a month. I plugged her into my rig both at home and through the house amp at Church. This guitar suffers from no lack of treble. I am stunned what a difference getting away from ear fatique and how what we expect to hear almost makes us hear what we want to. THe DGT pickups are ACE. What a balance of highs, mids, and lows. The guitar's warmth is there, and now that I am tapping the lead pickup it is the best of both worlds. The taps on this guitar are incredible. There is no feeling that the tapped bridge cannot handle whatever you throw at it. The non tapped pickup is just fatter. I suppose it took an absence from playing in general to fully understand what makes a DGT so special.

Back