DGT - Getting reacquainted

JasonE

I have not had my DGT out for a good bit. I have also not been playing for far too long. Over the past few weeks there have been a number of DGT threads that I have chimed in on that caused me to pull the guitar out. I have had it laying on my recording desk for a while. I then put my bass away and hung it on the wall because it is that nice looking...

I bought a new OD pedal after finding out that it was released a good while ago and I had never heard about it. When the pedal showed up, I uncovered my amp and hooked it up. The first guitar I grabbed to test it out is the DGT. All I can say is WOW, I forgot how well this guitar plays and sounds. I then switched over to my custom Suhr Standard, which is a guitar I have really played a lot since I had it built and I love it. The neck on it felt so big on it to me, almost too big. I was really liking the feel of the DGT neck and I remember thinking the neck of it was just a little bit narrower than I liked and I think that is why it doesn't get pulled out much.

I really feel like I have connected with the DGT at a level that I may not have been before. I have always known that this guitar is a keeper for me. It is still on the wall with the Suhr and my Experience P22. I am hoping this is the start of me grabbing one of them more often and start playing more. I know how much playing affects me, I just have to force myself to to more of it so I can be reminded.

On a similar subject, I started a thread about not having any motivation. I have made some steps forward in that and now know what I need to do. I am forcing myself to do things that I can easily talk myself out of and it is having a positive effect. I am hoping this will tie into that and improve as well.

Great to hear that you've made some progress on the motivation front. Hope the DGT stays in the rotation for a long time to come.
Believe it or not, the improvement that I have been experiencing had an easy solution. I had a busy weekend where I was outside for two days in a row. Being outside that long over the whole weekend and being in the sun and fresh air really boosted my energy levels. I gave my wife full permission to get on me and make me go places to get out and move around.

I also had to go into the office for some meetings over the course of two weeks, with this outside weekend being mixed in there. Getting so see people in person and actually talk with them helped a lot. My health issue that I had in February hit me more mentally than I gave it credit for. Getting to talk to people about it helped with that a lot. To simplify it, a lot, I ended up on an operating table for more than 2.5 hours getting my heart worked on. This was exactly 2 months before I turned 58. There is a lot more to the story but that is the very short summary of it. Getting to share this with others that I see a lot on video calls helped me and it also helped them understand some odd things they may have heard but didn't know the details of.

This all seems so simple looking back but where I was at mentally this would not have seemed like any sort of solution to me. It wasn't until I was forced into it and felt the difference that it made complete sense and seemed like a real DUH moment. Now I am starting to work on the playing aspect.

Believe it or not, the improvement that I have been experiencing had an easy solution. I had a busy weekend where I was outside for two days in a row. Being outside that long over the whole weekend and being in the sun and fresh air really boosted my energy levels. I gave my wife full permission to get on me and make me go places to get out and move around.

I also had to go into the office for some meetings over the course of two weeks, with this outside weekend being mixed in there. Getting so see people in person and actually talk with them helped a lot. My health issue that I had in February hit me more mentally than I gave it credit for. Getting to talk to people about it helped with that a lot. To simplify it, a lot, I ended up on an operating table for more than 2.5 hours getting my heart worked on. This was exactly 2 months before I turned 58. There is a lot more to the story but that is the very short summary of it. Getting to share this with others that I see a lot on video calls helped me and it also helped them understand some odd things they may have heard but didn't know the details of.

This all seems so simple looking back but where I was at mentally this would not have seemed like any sort of solution to me. It wasn't until I was forced into it and felt the difference that it made complete sense and seemed like a real DUH moment. Now I am starting to work on the playing aspect.
Sorry to hear about the heart issue. Always scary stuff. Glad you've been able to turn the corner. And, you're right on the spot about that "human" interaction. It can do wonders!

I had open heart surgery, septuple bypass. I think going through it has to affect how one thinks about one's self in certain ways. Some positive, of course, some negative.

Takes a while to sort it all out.

God bless and speedy continued recovery! Exercise, especially in the outdoors, is actually one of the biggest antidepressants known to man. It's time for me to start up again as well, as I am "not in a good place" for awhile now, suffering from Lyme disease & bartonella. Undergoing treatment for over 2 months, but no improvement yet... it's depressing. I need to get OUT, and you need to KEEP doing so!

God bless and speedy continued recovery! Exercise, especially in the outdoors, is actually one of the biggest antidepressants known to man. It's time for me to start up again as well, as I am "not in a good place" for awhile now, suffering from Lyme disease & bartonella. Undergoing treatment for over 2 months, but no improvement yet... it's depressing. I need to get OUT, and you need to KEEP doing so!
Here‘s to feeling better!

What neck shape do you have on your Suhr Standard?

I had open heart surgery, septuple bypass. I think going through it has to affect how one thinks about one's self in certain ways. Some positive, of course, some negative.

Takes a while to sort it all out.
I had no idea how much this was affecting me. I really thought I went through it an moved on with my life. That really wasn't the case. My wife could see it but I was completely blind to it. I thought I was dealing with it just fine. I am seeing now that I was wrong. It affected me much more than I gave it credit for. Now that I am aware, I am trying to make myself do things that I keep talking myself out of.

I had no idea how much this was affecting me. I really thought I went through it an moved on with my life. That really wasn't the case. My wife could see it but I was completely blind to it. I thought I was dealing with it just fine. I am seeing now that I was wrong. It affected me much more than I gave it credit for. Now that I am aware, I am trying to make myself do things that I keep talking myself out of.
I can relate. Truly.

I can relate. Truly.
Today marks the two month and 10 day mark for me. I am glad I am more aware of how it impacted me. I am not sure I can say for sure that I fully know at this point. I kind of slid back into doing nothing this weekend. I had some things I wanted to do to get myself out and about and it didn't happen. My wife finally asked me late in the day yesterday if I still wanted to go get some things done. I told her it was too late in the day now to do it and that I really should have done it on Saturday. I stayed up too late both Friday and Saturday nights and then slept in a little both days after that. I am seeing that is something I have to not let happen.

Even C Medium .840 - .920. I have a Classic Pro with the same neck on it as well.
I’m surprised the DGT neck is smaller. The only complaint I’ve had is the PRS necks are to big for my tastes.
I need to get my hands on a DGT.

I’m surprised the DGT neck is smaller. The only complaint I’ve had is the PRS necks are to big for my tastes.
I need to get my hands on a DGT.
The DGT has a narrower nut width. It also has a bit of a different shape to it than my Suhr. At least it feels like it does.

Back