DGT bridge pick-up contenders? My first PRS!!!

brandonsicobo

This is my first post on the forum since purchasing my first ever PRS, the DGT 22 yesterday... so hello!

I absolutely love the guitar as a whole; the cleans tones are imo to die for. I generally stick to the neck pickup for this and I really could not ask for more in terms of clean and boosted tones via my JVM410h. However, I feel like the bridge pickup does not handle high gain well relative to the other custom 22's that I compared the guitar to in the shop. I would like to know if anybody would recommend changing the bridge pickup (and thus keeping the DGT Bass) and if so, what would be some great contenders?

I want some of that thick, heavy and authentic punch that PRS has forever provided for metalheads! Also, will changing the bridge pick up change the tone of my neck pick up, even when I am only playing the neck with or without the coil tap?

Thank you for your time and it is truly an honour to finally become a part of the PRS family. :D

Last edited:
I have had two DGTs, I wouldn't recommend changing a thing on them except the strings, but that's just me. I would recommend doing that first then decide. My two DGTs did not sound exactly alike so it could be the overall tone of the guitar.

With all the love the DTG gets I would first try adjusting the pickup height and adjusting the amp and pedals before making a change after that the HFS , Tremonti , Metal pickups should do what you want
Good luck

I put in m pickups in my dgt because I disliked the neck pickup. My dgt is a monster with these pickups. I can't comment on the tremonti set but I hear nothing but great things .

I was actually considering changing the height but I guess I am a bit scared lol... But I shall give it a go! Guys at the shop recommended some "bare knuckle" pickups. Would you (or anyone) recommend those for this beast? I shall definitely look into the ones you have suggested. Thanks. :3

My DGT is sleeping atm. It's like 03:00 am here in the UK... But I cannot sleep just thinking about it :4 Will definitely post a pic tomorrow!

The DGT is not what I'd consider a high gain guitar, but with careful EQ adjustment in the rest of the rig, you can make it do anything. Personally, the DGT isn't the DGT without the pups, which is why I also have a Cu24, a Lester, SE One, etc. They all fit different purposes, tasks, and genre. Sounds like you need a Cu24 also. :biggrin:

I love the high gain on my DGT from the bridge pickup. I have the DGT with the maple top though and that may make a difference. I think of the distorted/high gain from my bridge pickup as being highly articulate and tight and has a ton of room for distortion. It takes a bit more to distort it than my LP but the tone stays together longer than the LP (the higher I push the gain knob on the pedals). Maybe you could try a different pedal? They all sound a bit different.

Back