Decking the trem

Chrisk-K

I don't use the trem, so I want to deck it. Can I simply add another spring? Or do I have to adjust the 6 bridge screws after adding another spring?

You're better off blocking it (sticking in correct sized pieces of wood either side of the trem block) since this won't mess with any of the intonation/action adjustments. Use Mahogany if you can (or another tone wood) :)

I've never done it on a PRS but I have done both methods (blocking and decking) on a bunch of different Strats over the years and I personally prefer just decking it, tone-wise. At least with the Strats, blocking it changed the sound of the guitar too much. But justmund is right, if you do it you will need to do a setup to get it playing correctly.

I dropped mine and its been fine, no wood, no extended screws, no tuning issues.

I dropped the 6 screws, only snugging them til they wouldn't turn. Then tightened the spring claw as much as I could. I gave it a shot with the trem arm and got zero movement.

After all that I had to do a complete setup though... So if you're not up to doing truss rod, saddle height, pickup height and innotation adjustments, blocking the trem or going with a locking system like tremol-no.

The PRS/Mann trem is a bit different that a standard Fender trem being level with the body is part of the set up.
I would first try adding the 5th spring and see what that does for you ( re adjust the springs so the trem still floats )
you could still block it so it is drop only and there is the Trem- no
or just give John Mann a ring /email great guy he will set you up

I don't use a lot of trem either. But I prefer the tone on my trem equipped guitars... Blocking was a no for me so I just decided to deck them

I don't use the trem, so I want to deck it. Can I simply add another spring? Or do I have to adjust the 6 bridge screws after adding another spring?

The only problem with tightening the bridge screws is accelerating the loss of screw hold in the long run. Sooner or later, the over-tightening method will ream out your body wood and stop working. I've never used a tremel-no, but it appears to be the best way to keep your guitar as spec as possible while locking the tremelo bridge down. It's also decidedly less ghetto than using a cabinet bolt as I've seen some do, never mind that it's pretty damn resourceful. I guess it's "ghetto resourceful". Anyway, the tremel-no is also very reversible with no affect on the guitar. Good luck.

http://www.tremol-no.com

I'd use a tremble-no before decking the trem, too. It's a good design, works well, and it's easily reversible in case you change your mind or want to resell the guitar.

I'd use a tremble-no before decking the trem, too. It's a good design, works well, and it's easily reversible in case you change your mind or want to resell the guitar.

I've realized that unlike the Strat trem, the PRS trem shouldn't be kept decked. As for the Tremol-no, maybe I'm missing something, but what's the point of spending $70 on it when wood blocks or coins can block the trem (I won't use the trem at all)?

I've realized that unlike the Strat trem, the PRS trem shouldn't be kept decked. As for the Tremol-no, maybe I'm missing something, but what's the point of spending $70 on it when wood blocks or coins can block the trem (I won't use the trem at all)?

It depends whether you want the resonance that a hollow cavity where the springs and the trem itself are free to resonate. Blocking the trem will absorb some of that vibration and resonance. That absorption isn't necessarily a bad thing, of course. A lot of people prefer it.

In any case, it's worth experimenting; you could try blocking the trem, and if you don't like that, try a tremble-no.

As for me, I spend $35 on a pick. My bank account and I have had words with each other and are hardly on speaking terms. So $70 for a guitar gizmo seems like a bargain.

It depends whether you want the resonance that a hollow cavity where the springs and the trem itself are free to resonate. Blocking the trem will absorb some of that vibration and resonance. That absorption isn't necessarily a bad thing, of course. A lot of people prefer it.

I see. $70 is not too bad at all, compared with my other non-rewarding expenses :biggrin:

Granted, this is a Strat, but it's an interesting approach to meddling with the tremolo springs...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use the trem either and usually have my bridge decked on a strat. I fitted a Tremol-no. Works perfectly and still gives me the option to easily float if I change my mind later.

I keep mine *almost* decked, you can dive (with some effort) and get just the tiniest degree of upward bend.
I only use it to add some occasional "motion" to chords. It's subtle but I like the effect.

Back