De-Acquisition Mode - I'm Hearing That A Lot Lately.

Where I'm moving, you can't throw a rock without hitting a golf course or pickleball court. There are rec centers, gyms, softball fields, etc, etc, etc.

There are 2 rifle/and clay ranges nearby.

There are countless clubs with pretty much any hobby/activity you can imagine.

If you can't fill your days, there's something wrong with you...

I'm currently visiting our retirement home for 2 weeks, 4 times a year (the boss stays longer, about 4 months over the year). When I come home, I need to take a break, I'm worn out!

A typical week goes like this:

Saturday: 18 holes of golf, lunch with my golfing buddy, meet friends for dinner...
Sunday: Pickleball in the morning, chores around the house, go out for dinner...
Monday: 18 holes of golf in the morning, 9 holes in the afternoon, meet friends for dinner...
Tuesday: 9 holes of golf in the morning with the wife and another couple, followed by lunch at the golf course. Pickleball in the afternoon...
Wednesday: 18 holes of golf, followed by lunch with the golf group, hit the pool in the afternoon. Cook dinner...
Thursday: 9 holes of golf, fix the sprinkler system, change the strings on 2 guitars, play said guitars for a while...
Friday: Walk the dog (only 12-13 lbs), and relax the rest of the day. Meet friends for dinner...

Okay, that week was a bit busier than normal, but you get the idea...
That dog can really hold it in.

I’m past “normal” retire age. I lost everything except my sons in a divorce years ago. My younger son worked in a music store for 2 years. He’ll know what to do when the time comes. Until then, it’s work 4 days a week and slowly let go of other stuff to move in with the woman of my dreams.
Hey, you leave Julie Bowen out of this, buster!

It cost me thousands of dollars to throw away all my mom’s crap when she died (5-6 dumpsters worth) so I appreciate the thought of people wanting to de-clutter.

But music gear is easy(er) to get rid of and may actually be worth some cash (especially if you’re on this forum).

Get rid of all your other BS first. Nobody wants your furniture, nobody will buy your China or flatware, and FFS get your paperwork together.
Problem is, our wives don’t “know” the music gear, and really don‘t realize how much of it we have, what it’s worth, or for the most part, what to do with it. I’ve actually written out some very simple ideas like “if (grandson) actually takes to and sticks with guitar, he gets all my PRS and Taylors. But that leaves 7-8 other guitars, amps, cabs, all kinds of pedals and other “stuff” (mixers, recording interface, cables, and all kinds of other stuff).

I’ve actually considered trying to have a “friend” who would be responsible for helping her get rid of the rest of the stuff, but finding that person would be hard because I don’t have a close friend that is CLOSE and that knows enough about this stuff to help. My brother has some stuff but not like I do and knows very little about the gear I have and the market for it. Unless I know ahead of time that I’m going, I don’t really have a solution. If I do get an advanced warning, then I’ll start selling stuff myself, but you never know…

Where I'm moving, you can't throw a rock without hitting a golf course or pickleball court. There are rec centers, gyms, softball fields, etc, etc, etc.

I'm currently visiting our retirement home for 2 weeks, 4 times a year (the boss stays longer, about 4 months over the year). When I come home, I need to take a break, I'm worn out!

Saturday: 18 holes of golf, lunch with my golfing buddy, meet friends for dinner...
Sunday: Pickleball in the morning, chores around the house, go out for dinner...
Monday: 18 holes of golf in the morning, 9 holes in the afternoon, meet friends for dinner...
Tuesday: 9 holes of golf in the morning with the wife and another couple, followed by lunch at the golf course. Pickleball in the afternoon...
Wednesday: 18 holes of golf, followed by lunch with the golf group, hit the pool in the afternoon. Cook dinner...
Thursday: 9 holes of golf, fix the sprinkler system, change the strings on 2 guitars, play said guitars for a while...
Friday: Walk the dog (only 12-13 lbs), and relax the rest of the day. Meet friends for dinner...

That's a lot more socialization than I want to do when I retire. Although during this so-called practice period, I've chatted more to people in the neighborhood than ever.

I feel like I SHOULD be in de-acquisition mode. I just can't quite seem to get there. My partner and I live in a 1000 sq. ft. apartment, and I have 30+ guitars, 4 amps and multiple saxes, EWI, flute, etc.

I do play them all...mostly, and I am in a gigging band...though only on sax right now.

I feel like I'd be better with less, and every so often I play this little game where I take stock of the the half-dozen or so I play the most, and then try to see which of the others that I play less often I could get rid of.

"Well, not THAT one, and certainly not THAT one..."

The dining room looks like a music store, and some times it's embarrassing when someone comes over and says "Wow, you have a LOT of guitars..." the way you might go over to an old lady's house and say "Wow, you have a LOT of cats" as dozens of eyes peer at you from every couch, shelf and horizontal surface. :rolleyes:

I feel like I SHOULD be in de-acquisition mode. I just can't quite seem to get there. My partner and I live in a 1000 sq. ft. apartment, and I have 30+ guitars, 4 amps and multiple saxes, EWI, flute, etc.

I do play them all...mostly, and I am in a gigging band...though only on sax right now.

I feel like I'd be better with less, and every so often I play this little game where I take stock of the the half-dozen or so I play the most, and then try to see which of the others that I play less often I could get rid of.

The dining room looks like a music store, and some times it's embarrassing when someone comes over and says "Wow, you have a LOT of guitars..." the way you might go over to an old lady's house and say "Wow, you have a LOT of cats" as dozens of eyes peer at you from every couch, shelf and horizontal surface. :rolleyes:
My dining room (per design) has been a music room since we moved into the house. Nobody who comes over ever says I have a lot of guitars. Some ask how many I have and I answer “A lot”.

I think as long as the cases are only 3 deep, it’s fine.

You sound a lot like me. I am in the same number of guitar club. What I did was I gutted the closet in my music room / home office and I put shelving in it to stack guitar cases vertically. This way they are all behind closed doors, except for the ones I have hanging on the walls.

I do that same exercise with contemplating thinning them out.

Hi Les. I think some of this has to do with whether you are a collector of guitars, or if you think of your guitars as tools of the trade.
I have owned many Electric guitars in my life Including 1954, 1956, and 1957 gold top Les Paul standards as well as a 1959 Les Paul standard back when they were not too expensive. And many 50s and 60s Strats and Teles back when they sold for three to $400 each. Do I miss them? No I really don’t. My five PRS guitars, my two Warmoth slide guitars, and my hand made Corsa Manalishi Les Paul With 57/08 pick ups are simply the perfect guitars for me. Much more so than the vintage guitars I’ve owned in the past
That’s plenty of guitars for me that all sound different enough and have their place and I don’t have to spend too much time restringing them when that’s needed.
As far as collectors are concerned, it makes sense downsizing when you get older and putting the money away or investing it, or buying a 911 Porsche :D

Last edited:
Hi Les. I think some of this has to do with whether you are a collector of guitars, or if you think of your guitars as tools of the trade.
I have owned many Electric guitars in my life Including 1954, 1956, and 1957 gold top Les Paul standards as well as a 1959 Les Paul standard back when they were not too expensive. And many 50s and 60s Strats and Teles back when they sold for three to $400 each. Do I miss them? No I really don’t. My five PRS guitars, my two Warmoth slide guitars, and my hand made Corsa Manalishi Les Paul With 57/08 pick ups are simply the perfect guitars for me. Much more so than the vintage guitars I’ve owned in the past
That’s plenty of guitars for me that all sound different enough and have their place and I don’t have to spend too much time restringing them when that’s needed.
As far as collectors are concerned, it makes sense downsizing when you get older and putting the money away or investing it, or buying a 911 Porsche :D
Well I got the last part right so far...now about the guitars.....

As my friends are becoming long in the tooth, I'm hearing, "I'm in de-acquisition mode," a lot these days. Even among some of the fellas I'm friendly with who have been avid collectors.

I'm not in that mode, by the way. I like my current lineup too much, and I use it.

I wonder if D.M. is more of an "I used to collect guitars as a hobby but now I'm feeling past it and don't want to own as much stuff," or "I'm starting to think a lot about death/being too old to play," thing. Maybe it's a little of both.

But it does seem to be age-related, at least among my circle of guitar playing friends.

I'll admit there are times I look at my studio and wonder if I spend more time screwing around with the studio than actually creating music, but then I start creating music again and get lost in that.

I think maybe there are times I need to decompress from music-creating. That's when my furniture and amp-moving lunacy happens. But then my creative juices get going and I'm off to the races with music creation again.

One thing's for sure: I want to play music until I can't. So I'm not in D.M. It depresses me a little to see so many of my friends in it.

Your friends are above ground. Cherish that. Nearly all of my oldest and closest friends aren't.

I find myself in a similar and not-similar aspect of life. I turned 60 this year, I’ve been divorced for 30 years, no children, parents and siblings all passed away. I’m the last man standing, so to speak. I became disabled 4+ years ago and I’m bed/wheelchair-ridden. Though I can transfer to and from my wheelchair, so I’m still somewhat mobile. I rent a room from an 81 year old man (father of my best friend) and he lets me use his car to run errands and go to Guitar Center here in Dallas. The reason I’m sharing my back story is because…I have NO ONE to be accountable to when it comes to gear purchase/selling and how I spend my time. I am still doing what I did when I was 14, I’m still learning new songs (challenging ones, like Eric Johnson) and keep my playing chops up. My live performing days are long since passed and there are no plans to join or start a new band.

So, I can’t think of anything that brings me more satisfaction and happiness than working with my guitars, setting them up, trying different pickups, learning new songs and leads, reading owner’s manuals, searching online for new gear, new guitars, new information. What I’m describing is how my entire life has been. And I’m not complaining whatsoever. Does it bother me that I’m 60 and realize that my best days are behind me…YES. Does it bother me to read online that another musician, actor, artist has died or committed suicide…YES. For myself, and I think all of us, we grow more reflective about ourselves, our lives, our hopes and dreams which did and didn’t come to fruition. Like many of you, all my musician friends have families, wives, grown children, etc. Priorities are different in older age, that’s just the way life is.

Now, is there anything I “somewhat” regret…YES. A failed marriage, a marriage that failed for two primary reasons. First, my wife never “truly” realized just how serious and dedicated I was to my musical career. It really crushed my spirit to find out that she really didn’t get it or get me. The second reason my marriage failed was for the same reasons, I was devoted, passionate, driven, hard working, long hours spent on learning to play the guitar (and keyboards), learning about computers, DAWs, MIDI, guitar effects, guitars, gear setup. I was deeply immersed into that frame of mind, from a young child watching The Monkees to an elderly man watching all things guitar online. I’ve never really changed, I was just being me, what was there to change, I had a singular focus and I pursued it adamantly with obsessiveness. I loved everything and every moment about my entire innermost self loving music and live performance. Yes, I loved to play the guitar and entertain people. That’s who I was and that’s who I am. I just found it unfortunate and sometimes saddening that there were so many people, girlfriends, wives, family and friends who just didn’t “get” me as I really thought they did. Oh well, such is some lives.

As a final note, I was always impressed by Alex, Geddy and Neil (RUSH) and how they still remained married to the wives of their youth to this day. Maintaining and sustaining a relationship such as that is rare. Okay, I’m done writing and need to go pick up my guitar and play!

Unless I know ahead of time that I’m going, I don’t really have a solution. If I do get an advanced warning, then I’ll start selling stuff myself, but you never know…
What I Am Doing With All Of My Stuff Is Making A List With Prices/Values And Tagging Everything Along With Brief Descriptions And Some Websites To Search For Each Item So There Is A Couple Of Ways To Check And Maintain Value. Inventory...You Gotta Love It But It Is Now Necessary.

I quit my law practice over three decades ago to create a life that fits me.

I can devote my days to what challenges and fascinates me - composing.

It was a conscious decision to have my work be my joy. And it is. Retiring from it would be punishment, not reward.

I’d shoot myself if I had to spend my days playing golf or doing the other things you’ve enumerated.

There would be no point in it, I’d be unhappy.

But I have plenty of friends whose joy is leisure activities. They’re fine people, and I 100% respect their choices. Mire power to them!

Back