Dang Velas...

If you have sound clips of either or both I would love to hear them. I love the stock pickups right now, but I may buy a semi-hollow to go with my solid body.
I could maybe try to record something in GarageBand/Amplitube tomorrow on my day off. Are you wanting to hear both Firebird pickups in the one guitar or also the Harmonic Designs in the other one?

Vela in action shortly after I got it last spring. running through a mesa boogie roadster. Need to bust it out for another gig again soon

341101859_215839014408650_1474848918401846281_n.jpg

Hmmm…. Not sure I’d call that a Vela, more like a Vela-shaped guitar. It’s missing the Vela bridge which I think is the soul of the Vela. Combine that with the maple top and whatever bridge pickup that is and you’re pretty far away from what makes the Vela special IMHO. Looks nice though, I’m sure it’s a great guitar regardless.

Hmmm…. Not sure I’d call that a Vela, more like a Vela-shaped guitar. It’s missing the Vela bridge which I think is the soul of the Vela. Combine that with the maple top and whatever bridge pickup that is and you’re pretty far away from what makes the Vela special IMHO. Looks nice though, I’m sure it’s a great guitar regardless.
'It is quite a departure aside from the D type neck

For you Vela aficionado‘s here is the weight of a solid body Vela basically the same as say an S2 Mira? Asking for a friend……
Velas tend to be rather light.

The solid I owned came in at 6 pounds even. My 3 semi-hollows have been 6 pounds 4 ounces, 6 pounds even, and my current is 5 pounds 13 ounces. By comparison, the 3 Miras I've owned have all been between 7 and 8 pounds - not heavy, but not Vela light.

My Vela and Mira both S2, are both under 6lbs....no neck dive on either...my S2 standard 22s. I have 3....are all under 7 1/2 lbs....used these guitars are a steal fellas start grabbin em!!

2nvN9qB.jpeg

Velas are magical. I tell myself I can get better single coils on other guitars. That I can get better humbucker bridge sounds. This is now my 4th vela (having moved off a regular with birds and 2 reclaims). I keep coming back to this guitar model. Lesson has been learned. This thing sounds incredible in all positions. And is super comfortable to play. This is the best innovative S2 if you ask me.
I’ll take my dots and be happy. I did darken the fretboard since it was a tad reddish. The inlays became a shade closer to gray. I actually think it looks better with the color theme now. This was the before the dye:
Yerw2RV.jpeg

Last edited:
2nvN9qB.jpeg

Velas are magical. I tell myself I can get better single coils on other guitars. That I can get better humbucker bridge sounds. This is now my 4th vela. I keep coming back to it. Lesson has been learned. This thing sounds incredible in all positions. And is super comfortable to play. This is the best innovative S2 if you ask me.
I’ll take my dots and be happy. I did darken the fretboard since it was a tad reddish. The inlays became a shade closer to gray. I actually think it looks better with the color theme now. This was the before the dye:
Yerw2RV.jpeg
My Vela is identical....love it...

My Vela is identical....love it...
2nvN9qB.jpeg

Velas are magical. I tell myself I can get better single coils on other guitars. That I can get better humbucker bridge sounds. This is now my 4th vela (having moved off a regular with birds and 2 reclaims). I keep coming back to this guitar model. Lesson has been learned. This thing sounds incredible in all positions. And is super comfortable to play. This is the best innovative S2 if you ask me.
Yerw2RV.jpeg

That's a beauty!!

2nvN9qB.jpeg

Yerw2RV.jpeg
I still occasionally play my other electric guitars just to make sure that the Vela is as good as I think it is. The answer is always YES.

Back