damn you DG30!

Texas_minor_blues

Rosewood or Bust
So as some of you know (Les mainly because I pick his brain on this amp constantly) I have been trying to talk myself out of this amp since it came out.
So recently I loaded up my pedalboard and headed up to Austin to really see how it would work for me...

I don't think I have ever spent so much time toying with an amp to get so many different tones.
Must ..... have.... one.....

Self denial is futile ... I must resist ... I want one ... I HAVE to HAVE one .. I must resist ...

GAS, particularly for a great piece of gear, is unstoppable. Go for it man .. you ... deserve .. one

You came to the wrong place to talk you out of it. Unless, of course, you want to go try the DG50. :biggrin:

You know how I feel about mine...it's in many ways the most intrinsically satisfying amp I've ever owned. You can tell that it was designed with a lot of input from one of the best studio cats out there. I think it's a creative guitarist's dream.

Did you try it with the companion 2x12?

If you get one, I highly, highly recommend the matching cab. It becomes perfection with it.

Yes it had the matching cab and one of the 1st 100 with the different tubes.

Actually, the ones with the NOS tubes are the first 20, not the first 100. If you dig the sound, here's some info: A pair of the NOS BRIMAR tubes that come with the amp goes for $200 on the tube market. So if you've loved that amp, you'll have to spend another $200 to get that sound unless you get one of the 1st 20.

As it happens, I bought a spare pair of the BRIMARs on the NOS market and that's what I paid; it was the best deal I could find. The NOS BRIMARs are in the V1 and V3 spots on the amp. The V2 is a JJ 12AT7 used as a reverb driver, and the V4 is a JJ ECC83s, used as a phase inverter.

PRS used military box-plate NOS BRIMARs, also known as CV4004s. I love the way they sound. They're also not all that easy to find.

I also discovered that my amp is equipped with what appear to be NOS EL84Ms. I bought a spare set of NOS and all the markings on the ones that came with the amp match my NOS set.

Last edited:
Back