NAD- what are your DG30 settings?

nussbajh

So this is how I change away from “New Member”
I found a great deal on a DG30 and cab and their wife said yes. It should get delivered tomorrow. Since you are all way better tone shapers than I am, I’d love to know your DG30 settings so I have some quick options to punch in when I am testing it out. Are there any threads currently focused on that?

On both of my Doug Sewell amps I tend to run the master at high and the pre amp an 1/4 Mids and Bass up full and treble about 1/2, reverb 1/2 typically on the bright settings.

Turn The Knobs Until They Sound Good Like You Like Them. :)

kSGdrdG.jpg
This is a typical setting for a cleaner tone. In the back of the amp, boost is on, presence about 1:00 (my room has lots of carpet and reflection traps so it needs a bit more treble). Top controls are as indicated. For edge of breakup I give it more gain on the first control and just turn the guitar down a bit. Higher levels of gain I might turn the master down to about noon.

I'm not sure the knob setting is clear from the pic, so volume (gain) is about 12:30, Reverb is 12:30, Treble is 2:00, bass and mids about 11:00 each, master 2:00.

Thank you both. Will try dialing these in first chance I get. What do both of you do with the top cut on the back?

Les,
I was especially hoping for your post. I set up my HXDA off of your setup originally, and know you love your DG30. I’m sure you’ve figured out the controls and how they relate to each other. I can already see why you like the DG30 as a different and equal sound to the HXDA.

Thank you both. Will try dialing these in first chance I get. What do both of you do with the top cut on the back?

The top cut is an interesting control. Like the presence control, it's in the power amp section, and according to the tech notes, but it adds phase cancellation to the high frequencies.

I use the top cut the way I use the cut control on a Pultec style EQ; I can re-shape the treble control's curve if needed to accommodate a guitar, mic or room. I have some mics that are bright. So I can dial in a lot of treble bite, but use the top cut to eliminate the 'geez, that's painful' part, as they operate on different parts of the frequency spectrum.

On the amp settings in the pic, I have the bright switch on. I use the bright switch and presence controls to adjust how the high frequencies behave as well.

I can already see why you like the DG30 as a different and equal sound to the HXDA.

It's hard to believe they've been here for 9 years this fall. I still think of them as new and exciting amps.

They get a lot more use than the Mesas.

If you ever have to re-tube the power section be sure to use only 7189 tubes; the Russian versions are called 6P14P-EV, and they seem to be the most plentiful. 7189As aren't recommended; EL84s will literally melt.

Also, the tech notes recommend leaving at least a foot of airspace in front of and behind the amp so the fans can work, because the amp was designed to run hot. The good news is 7189s are rated at 50,000 hours - they were designed for military use. I've yet to have to change the ones that came in my amp.

I did buy an NOS backup set for all of the tubes (the amp was one of the 'First 25' that came stock from the factory with NOS Brimar preamp tubes and 7189 Russian output tubes).

Preamp tubes can go a long time, and Brimars are hard to find, but I have NOS Mullard, Siemens and RCA preamp tubes on hand should they ever need replacing. I figure I'll do a little experimenting - assuming I live long enough to actually need to replace the tubes! :eek:

Back