Custom 24 S2 vs. Custom 22 S2

maggior

So I have a new Custom 24 S2 that I got from Sweetwater. Gorgeous guitar that feels wonderful in my hands. I'm still getting used to manipulating various settings to get the tones I want, but I seem to be getting there.

The one thing that is really different about this guitar is the 24 fret configuration. I was thrown off by the fact that even though this guitar has a shorter scale than my strat, the neck reaches out further than my strat. On the plus side, when I'm playing on the 7th or 9th frets, it's nice to feel like I'm barely in the middle of the neck as oppoosed to almost at the top of it! It's very comfortable to play in that position.

So of course there is the Custom 22 S2. Same or similar scale length but 2 less frets. I've read that the pickups sound different, for instance the neck pickup is less trebly (darker?) sounding than on the Custom 24.

Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on both of these guitars to do a comparison...well unless I buy a Cu22 S2 from Sweetwater, decide and return the one I don't want. That would probably give my wife a heart attack :). I wouldn't be comfortable doing that either.

So I have 2 questions:
- Is there a significant differene in feel regarding the length of the neck and the number of frets?
- Is the neck pickup VERY different sounding between the two?

How I wish there was a store I could go to that stocked both of these to try them out. Even the GC by me with its Platinum room and all is of no help :-(.

Any insight would be helpful. I hate feeling like I may have bought the wrong guitar.

Thanks!

I don't find that there's a major difference in feel - a minor one, yes, but not hugely significant to me.

Sound on the other hand - yes - even a comparison of high-end 'core' Custom 22s and 24s on YouTube might be revealing to you.

The position of the neck (bass) pup on a 24 is closer to the bridge giving it more treble than the same pup if it were in the position it is on a 22.

Maybe THIS will help....

22v24.gif

22v24body.gif

How much difference depends on the pup, the strings and guitar materials as all of these shift tone.

Wow, thanks guys for the quick response. The animated illlustrations are really amazing!!! It took me a few watches to see what the difference was for the last step! :). It really make it easy to understand the difference.

@Whitecat - when you play a Les Paul, does the neck feel too short to you, or is that difference insignificant to you too? I ask to relate my feel to yours. After playing a strat for 12 years, I bought les paul and it felt right to me as far as neck length went. I expected the PRS to be a happy medium with it's scale length, but the body/neck geometry threw me off :). I should have played in the open position in the store more. I blinded by the fact that it was SOOOO easy to play in the 7th-12th fret positions!

I'll listen to youtube videos comparing 24 vs. 22 with some quality headphones to see if I can hear the difference.

As far as tone goes...my LP's neck pickup is too bassy for my taste. I always play my strat on the neck pickup - very thick almost jazzy/bluesy sound. Again, I was hoping the PRS neck pickup would be a happy medium.

Thanks again guys! If you think of anything else that might help my dilema, I'm open for it.

As far as tone goes...my LP's neck pickup is too bassy for my taste. I always play my strat on the neck pickup - very thick almost jazzy/bluesy sound. Again, I was hoping the PRS neck pickup would be a happy medium.

If the LP was too bassy you will probably like the 24 fret location better anyway. As for the longer neck length, it takes me about 10 minutes to adjust to the difference when I move from a 22 fret to a 24 fret. After that I don't notice it at all.

If the LP was too bassy you will probably like the 24 fret location better anyway. As for the longer neck length, it takes me about 10 minutes to adjust to the difference when I move from a 22 fret to a 24 fret. After that I don't notice it at all.

That was exactly my thought regarding the LP pickup vs. the 24 fret Custom. I figured this would be a positive for the Custom 24. Good to have other confirmation :).

Playing things that involve barre chords down on the third/second fret range (I've been working on China Grove - Doobie Brothers) and my forearm started to feel sore. Nothing that lingers...it's fine the next day. I suspect/hope this is just a matter of adjusting to the longer reach.

The 22-24 fret animation is super cool. Here's a simple photoshop overlay of images taken direct from the PRS website. Nut and bridge are lined up as close as I could get them - note that only the body and neck PU move relative to those points,
22 fret = silver pickups
24 fret = black pickups
22_24_zps74fb1b77.jpg

Once upon a time, the difference in feel didn't bother me between my CU24 and my Strat. But later, I got more entrenched in the 22 fret world with a pair of 22 fret PRS guitars, plus I started playing the Telecaster with regularity. After all that, I'd often find myself accidentally two frets up from where I meant to be on my CU24. I ended up selling the CU24 because it became the odd man out and I didn't play it anymore.

Playing things that involve barre chords down on the third/second fret range (I've been working on China Grove - Doobie Brothers) and my forearm started to feel sore. Nothing that lingers...it's fine the next day. I suspect/hope this is just a matter of adjusting to the longer reach.

Once upon a time, the difference in feel didn't bother me between my CU24 and my Strat. But later, I got more entrenched in the 22 fret world with a pair of 22 fret PRS guitars, plus I started playing the Telecaster with regularity. After all that, I'd often find myself accidentally two frets up from where I meant to be on my CU24. I ended up selling the CU24 because it became the odd man out and I didn't play it anymore.

Hmm. Interesting...I hadn't really thought out the differences between the 24 fret and 22 fret positioning/ergonomics. I am now going to be a bit self-conscious when I next pick up the guitar and try to see if I can sense that difference.

And rugerpc, thanks for those animations. That is what I imagined when I thought about the relative positioning, but the animated illustrations really hit the point home very well.

I use a strap that has less friction then I change the angle of the guitar depending on where on the neck I play. Steep angle for lower frets flatter for upper frets. - works for me

The benefit of the ease of access makes 24 the way to go for me, its also nice to have the option to hit those notes.

The right neck pup can eliminate any tone shortcomings due to its positon. In other ways the pup position offer different tonal options than the standard 22 fret set up.

I own 2 CU 24s and 2 22 fret PRS's.

- Is there a significant differene in feel regarding the length of the neck and the number of frets?

How I wish there was a store I could go to that stocked both of these to try them out. Even the GC by me with its Platinum room and all is of no help :-(.
I have a 24 fret original Mira and a 22 fret Custom 22. there's definitely a difference in ergonomics but I find that either one is comfortable. Just don't overthink it.

Can't comment on the neck pickup tones... I also wish I could go play an S2. Any S2. It's been over a year and sure enough, there has not been one for sale at any dealer in the entire state of Arizona during that time.

I personally much prefer the more vocal tones from the neck pup on a 21/22 fret guitar (think Tele / Strat). Much more noticeable in single coil mode usually, and different guitars all react ... differently...
But that's just a personal preference.

So I have a new Custom 24 S2 that I got from Sweetwater. Gorgeous guitar that feels wonderful in my hands. I'm still getting used to manipulating various settings to get the tones I want, but I seem to be getting there.

The one thing that is really different about this guitar is the 24 fret configuration. I was thrown off by the fact that even though this guitar has a shorter scale than my strat, the neck reaches out further than my strat. On the plus side, when I'm playing on the 7th or 9th frets, it's nice to feel like I'm barely in the middle of the neck as oppoosed to almost at the top of it! It's very comfortable to play in that position.

So of course there is the Custom 22 S2. Same or similar scale length but 2 less frets. I've read that the pickups sound different, for instance the neck pickup is less trebly (darker?) sounding than on the Custom 24.

Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on both of these guitars to do a comparison...well unless I buy a Cu22 S2 from Sweetwater, decide and return the one I don't want. That would probably give my wife a heart attack :). I wouldn't be comfortable doing that either.

So I have 2 questions:

Any insight would be helpful. I hate feeling like I may have bought the wrong guitar.

Thanks!

Kind of in the same boat. Wondering what I am missing out out with comparing the Custom 24 to the Custom 22 (S2s). I love the split tones and part of me thinks the the 22 neck pickup placement would be closer to a tele/strat split than a 24. Or is it not that noticeable?

I am driving my wife nuts...but since this will be my last guitar for a LONG time I want to make sure I more of what I want. It doesn't help that the S2 Custom 24 I have just plays SO amazing. What if the 22 I order doesn't 'feel' as good?

Bah...wish I could have both ;)

The only comparison I could find on Youtube is the one from PRS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEjaUpIRBgg

Unfortunately they have different pickups which totally skews the comparison. Although the S2 Custom 22 has the #7 based so it would be different. I just want more split coil tones that are closer to a strat/tele ( I know it won't be the same, but is a 22 closer than 24?)

But I notice I really like the bridge tone on the 24, and that and the bridge is located differently on the body?

So could I seek the neck tone and lose out on the bridge? *sigh*

Wish I could just try them but the only PRS guitars around me are the SEs

I feel PRS is synonymous with 24 frets. I still say the Custom 24 is the best thing they've ever did historically speaking.

And I'm a long time LP player but I took to 24 frets no problem. And I prefer skinny necks with my thumb over the top like a baseball bat. Not a shredder. More of a Chuck Berry lead player. Blues box all the way baby. So the CU24 can sound wonderfully vintage - especially with the 57/08s that are in mine.

I feel PRS is synonymous with 24 frets. I still say the Custom 24 is the best thing they've ever did historically speaking.

And I'm a long time LP player but I took to 24 frets no problem. And I prefer skinny necks with my thumb over the top like a baseball bat. Not a shredder. More of a Chuck Berry lead player. Blues box all the way baby. So the CU24 can sound wonderfully vintage - especially with the 57/08s that are in mine.

Any comparisons of the split tone?

Back