Custom 22

lurker john

Hey all,

I'm just looking for opinions on this guitar:

https://reverb.com/item/6584331-paul-reed-smith-custom-22-2014-leprechaun-tooth

I have no place locally to play one of these before buying. I had been considering a CU24, but I've never had a 24 fret guitar before and kind of like the idea of this CU22. Any opinions on the PUPS or anything else about this model would be appreciated. It seems from the pics to be in good shape. I'm used to playing Gibson Slim Taper necks and don't know how the pattern thin stacks up. Any thoughts there would be great. Thanks!

The 57/08's are great pick ups. Good for all types of music. Very clear and responsive. I have a 2008 Cu22 with a wide thin neck. I'm not familiar with the Slim Taper neck. If I compared the Cu22 to a Luke III that I used to have, I would say the Luke neck felt much smaller. Here's a diagram of the PRS necks. Not sure if it'll help, but it can't hurt. Pattern Thin is the new name of Wide Thin.

ycF3tLm.jpg

I had a 2014 Leprechaun Tooth CU22 bought new from Eddies. I loved it and I goofed selling it.
Wonderful quality, Stayed in tune for days. Typical kick butt 57/08's tone. It does have the thin Mh body which some claim it might lack something compared to the thicker bodies.
Impatient I sold it for $1,800 and regret it. Mine was a stop tail, 10 top.
The back of the neck finish V12 (sticky) made me try rosewood variants.
They look great. sound great... Go for it!

Looks like a winner to me. Will have a nice growl in the mids with those 57/08 pups.

I prefer the 22 over the 24. I like the shorter neck and the fuller sound of the neck pickup. I also like the bigger Pattern neck, but if you like slim taper I think you'll like the Pattern Thin.

CU22s are wonderful guitars, and 57/08s are among PRS’ all time best pickups.

You should feel right at home with the Pattern Thin, but folks can be picky about these things, so who knows?

I’ve never had a sticky V12 neck (or any sticky PRS neck in 26 years and many PRSes).

Last edited:
CU22s are great guitars ( I have 3 )
Wide thin or Pattern Thin is a nice neck shape ( I have a couple with the thin necks ) they are really easy to play. ( all the neck profiles are killer ) the thin PRS neck about the same thickness as the Gibson slim ( 60s ) neck but not quite as flat on the back it is also just a bit more narrow than the gibson neck ( so a bit rounder overall )
Love that color and 57/08s are really nice pickups can't see how you could go wrong on that one

Back