Custom 22/24 Blade Switches

Dirty_Boogie

Still got the ol' tagger on it
Can I just say for the record... for an otherwise perfect instrument, I can't think of a worse place for the blade switch location on modern generation Custom 22 and 24's. If you use a trem, or even if you don't use it and rotate it away, switching pickups is not intuitive or easy mid-song. The switch is directly behind the trem - both physically and line-of-sight - that you really have to consciously look and reach around the trem bar to switch pups. For the life of me I cannot see why they would have placed it there. Might be time to trade for a Custom Wood Library or 24-08, where they use a toggle switch instead.

This is what I see when I play my CU22, and then what I see when I play my McCarty and my Strat, where pup changes happen subconsciously:

775bcpK.jpg

aRQC8EJ.jpg

LD3FS0r.jpg

100% agree. This is why I think the 509 has the best control layout of any trem equipped guitar in the current lineup. The blade switch and tone control are much closer to the volume pot, such that if you leave the trem arm anywhere after about 7 o’clock it’s not really in the way of any of the main controls.

100% agree. This is why I think the 509 has the best control layout of any trem equipped guitar in the current lineup. The blade switch and tone control are much closer to the volume pot, such that if you leave the trem arm anywhere after about 7 o’clock it’s not really in the way of any of the main controls.
My favorite location is the where the toggle switch is placed on a McCarty, DGT, many Wood Library models, etc. - back behind and to the side of the bridge. It follows the natural arc of your arm, where you can switch without really deviating from your playing position. And if you're into "windmills", you can switch pups all day, without messing up your stage moves! :D

For me, the 35th Anniversary (newer 24-08) layout is what works best for me in live performances if a song or specific circumstance calls for quick pickup switching. It's probably the simplest and most straight-forward layout where you're not as likely to fumble while switching pickups or coil-taps.

However, I like all the different switching systems (blade switches included) on all my guitars for different reasons and applications.

Not all wood library customs have a toggle switch. Mine has a 5 way blade. It’s one of the features that helped make my decision, as I don’t really like the toggle switch-push/pull pot combo.

The switch position is slightly (but only slightly) improved on my P22 and CU24 piezo. I assume the switch position had to be adjusted to accommodate the piezo board. My 30th CU24 is the worst (but I still love the guitar).

I wonder if you can simply mod the guitar and move it to a location that works better for you?

I realize this would take a LOT of work to make it look nice, but maybe the PTC can do it.

I wonder if you can simply mod the guitar and move it to a location that works better for you?

I realize this would take a LOT of work to make it look nice, but maybe the PTC can do it.
Thanks Les, but that's really not the point - getting the PTC to change the design of a stock (non-PS) guitar. This is a pretty common complaint about the blade switch location, thus the common preference for the toggle switch - I just happened to articulate it here. I'm simply hoping that someone from PRS will see this and take it as customer feedback - as I said, on an otherwise perfect instrument.

Thanks Les, but that's really not the point - getting the PTC to change the design of a stock (non-PS) guitar. This is a pretty common complaint about the blade switch location, thus the common preference for the toggle switch - I just happened to articulate it here. I'm simply hoping that someone from PRS will see this and take it as customer feedback - as I said, on an otherwise perfect instrument.

I get it. I have a CU24 30th PS, but it has a toggle and a pull-up sweet switch knob.

However, I have a couple with the blade, and the location of the blade is different from one to the other. The PS20 Anniversary from 2016 has the blade near the the volume knob, but higher up and closer to the edge of the guitar, I'd say not too dissimilar to a Strat placement. The 2021 Special Semi-Hollow has the blade lower on the bout than the volume knob, and closer to the middle of the guitar, similar to yours.

I don't have a problem with either location, but I can see where others might; we're all built a little differently, have different preferences, etc. I'd guess that either PRS got a lot of artist feedback before even going with the blade, and got some feedback on that location, or maybe that's simply where Paul likes it.

The toggle works better for me on the upper horn, where it is on the 594 and the McCarty Singlecut.

As an old archtop player, but I play with the trem arm straight back, like an extension of the strings, and I use it a lot. As long as the volume isn’t in the way, I’m happy with the control location. I have put lampshades on a couple of guitars to avoid inadvertently hitting them. My EGlll has F styles knobs for that reason.

Back