Core SC245 playability issues vs SE Zach Myers

Hi there!

I have recently acquired a Core SC245 (proper NGD post to come!) but after setting it up with my preferred string brand and gauge (Elixir Nanowebs) I can't seem to get it to where my SE Zach Myers is...

The ZM comes with the adjustable wrap around bridge, the SC245 comes with the two-part tailpiece and bridge, so not sure if that's something that could be affecting, although I would doubt it. Other than that they're pretty much the same. Pattern/Wide Fat necks, 24.5" scale.

Relief is pretty much the same on both, and string height is at around 1.2mm at the 12th fret on the high E for both, but action seems more "balanced" on the ZM than on the SC245, where action seems a bit higher towards the end of the fretboard, and I think that's what's putting me off. Both tuned to E standard btw.

What would you guys recommend me to check/do next? I'm a bit concerned that I can't get a $2500 Made in USA guitar to the same level of playability as a $700 MIK one :(

Thanks in advance for all your help!

So, when I have this kind of issue, one of my solutions is to shim the nut just a pinch. Think of the strings as a plane above the fretboard. We dont want this plane to be comepletely parallel to the fingerboard, we want a slight incline towards the bridge. When we adjust bridge height, we essentially treat the nut as a fulcrum. The higher it is, the further we can drop the angle, and thus bring the action at the end of the fretboard down by lowering the bridge. Its a delicate balance with very incremental angle adjustments, but with patience it can be done.

You may also want to flatten out the neck a tiny amount more. That may help in some places. Btw, the two part bridge is not our problem for certain.

So, when I have this kind of issue, one of my solutions is to shim the nut just a pinch. Think of the strings as a plane above the fretboard. We dont want this plane to be comepletely parallel to the fingerboard, we want a slight incline towards the bridge. When we adjust bridge height, we essentially treat the nut as a fulcrum. The higher it is, the further we can drop the angle, and thus bring the action at the end of the fretboard down by lowering the bridge. Its a delicate balance with very incremental angle adjustments, but with patience it can be done.

You may also want to flatten out the neck a tiny amount more. That may help in some places. Btw, the two part bridge is not our problem for certain.

Thanks! Yeah I will probably take the SC to my tech/luthier and have him take a look, and maybe install a new nut if necessary!

Thanks all for the help :)

Back