10's on core model DGT.

El Rey

Please forgive me. I'm thinking this is one of those asked too many times questions.

Just got a new DGT core model yesterday. This thing plays so well for me and feels set up so perfect. So much so I'm afraid to change anything.

Only reason I'm thinking about 10-46 strings on it is I have a bulk supply of Elixir Opti Web 10-46 that will out live me.

Like so many things I realize there is so much subjectivity on personal things like strings. I'm sure if I changed from the factory 11's-49's to 10's I'd have to at least release the tension of the bridge block springs a bit, maybe raise saddles ever so slightly along with the release of tension in the neck (maybe/maybe not). Common adjustments like that I've made all my life on many other guitars. I'm trying to work through my stupidity and superstition here (sounds absurd...sorry I know).

What I'm really concerned about is the nut. Would the slots be too big for 10, 12, 13, 26, 36, 46?

On one hand I can't believe I'm fretting over this, but this guitar is set up marvelously as was the Paul's Guitar I got a month ago. I've got all kinds of guitars here, and these are the first two I've bought in a long time I felt were set up so perfectly, I'm afraid to change anything but the strings. Elixir Optiweb is all I've used for years. I suppose I should just get their 11-49 sets for just my DGT and forget about it.

6PfPyOUl.jpg
2GqUvlQl.jpg
m7BzLfhl.jpg
OYlxppwl.jpg
cCmuB8Wl.jpg
CktdvPBl.jpg

Thank you for your guidance. I love these PRS's, but I'm totally clueless on their subtleties.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far.

Wondering why admin wont let this in to the forum. Still waiting approval. Maybe my questions were too stupid ;)

A few of my PRS swap between 11-52 and 10-46 without issues at the nut. It might get a little sloppy if you go down to 9's, but I would not expect any issues going 11 to 10. Great looking guitars, especially that DGT!

A few of my PRS swap between 11-52 and 10-46 without issues at the nut. It might get a little sloppy if you go down to 9's, but I would not expect any issues going 11 to 10. Great looking guitars, especially that DGT!
Thank you so much! I did order a three pack of 11-49's just in case.

I do believe I will try a set of 10-46's though. Literally, I will not live long enough to use all the 10-46's sets I've hoarded.

I've mulled over a DGT since they first came out. Just my opinion of course; I believe PRS is making some of the finest guitars they've ever made when one considers their current scale of production in all they make. IMHO pretty impressive (even if I wasn't a PRS fan).

Right before these 2, I seriously considered a Gibson Custom Shop R9. I tried one locally and loved the way it played & sounded just statically unplugged. It was a tough decision and what pushed me over to the PRS was the meticulous attention to detail and just really, really sterling PRS QC.

That QC was another factor in my decision to pony up for a Private Stock Brent Mason order (almost did a McCarty 594 Hollow II PS).

You all are great, thank you!!

I have had my DGT for over 11 years now. It came with 11's on it. I played them until they were ready to be changed. I use 10's on everything so I put 10's on it. I can't remember what all I had to adjust but I know it was not much. Possibly a 1/4 turn on the truss rod, loosen, and maybe a full turn out on each trem claw screw and then intonate and set string height. I have had zero issues running mine with 10's.

Don’t be afraid to try any strings you have. It won’t hurt the guitar, and you might be surprised at what you end up liking on a particular instrument. And if you like it, that’s all that matters. Don’t let YouTube or forums tell you what you like.

+ or - one string gauge won't cause any real issues .. perhaps a minor tweak to the intonation, but usually not.

ALWAYS make the guitar comfortable for YOU to play.
I’d put a set of tens on, tweak the springs and at least give it a shot. The nut should be fine to experiment. If you decide on the 10’s, then go for the full setup.
Me too.

I switch to 9's occasionally but always come back to 10 - 46 on my electrics.

A set of nut files is a nice thing to have.

Thank you so much! I did order a three pack of 11-49's just in case.

I do believe I will try a set of 10-46's though. Literally, I will not live long enough to use all the 10-46's sets I've hoarded.

I've mulled over a DGT since they first came out. Just my opinion of course; I believe PRS is making some of the finest guitars they've ever made when one considers their current scale of production in all they make. IMHO pretty impressive (even if I wasn't a PRS fan).

Right before these 2, I seriously considered a Gibson Custom Shop R9. I tried one locally and loved the way it played & sounded just statically unplugged. It was a tough decision and what pushed me over to the PRS was the meticulous attention to detail and just really, really sterling PRS QC.

That QC was another factor in my decision to pony up for a Private Stock Brent Mason order (almost did a McCarty 594 Hollow II PS).

You all are great, thank you!!
I got a DGT just a few months ago, and love it. The guitar came with the factory setup and .011s, and it's perfect.

My thinking: It ain't broke, do not fix it.

Great Guitars And Congrats! As Was Stated Earlier...No Issue With The Nut And I Doubt Much Work Will Be Needed As Far As Tweaking. I Would Change The Strings When It Was Time For A String Change As It Will Give You Some Time To See If The 11's Work For You (Unless You Know They Don't). Myself And Others Here Can Help You If You Need Any Guidance Along The Way On Tweaks And Adjustments. :)

Enjoy Those Beauties!

Please forgive me. I'm thinking this is one of those asked too many times questions.

Just got a new DGT core model yesterday. This thing plays so well for me and feels set up so perfect. So much so I'm afraid to change anything.

Only reason I'm thinking about 10-46 strings on it is I have a bulk supply of Elixir Opti Web 10-46 that will out live me.

Like so many things I realize there is so much subjectivity on personal things like strings. I'm sure if I changed from the factory 11's-49's to 10's I'd have to at least release the tension of the bridge block springs a bit, maybe raise saddles ever so slightly along with the release of tension in the neck (maybe/maybe not). Common adjustments like that I've made all my life on many other guitars. I'm trying to work through my stupidity and superstition here (sounds absurd...sorry I know).

What I'm really concerned about is the nut. Would the slots be too big for 10, 12, 13, 26, 36, 46?

On one hand I can't believe I'm fretting over this, but this guitar is set up marvelously as was the Paul's Guitar I got a month ago. I've got all kinds of guitars here, and these are the first two I've bought in a long time I felt were set up so perfectly, I'm afraid to change anything but the strings. Elixir Optiweb is all I've used for years. I suppose I should just get their 11-49 sets for just my DGT and forget about it.

6PfPyOUl.jpg
2GqUvlQl.jpg
m7BzLfhl.jpg
OYlxppwl.jpg
cCmuB8Wl.jpg
CktdvPBl.jpg

Thank you for your guidance. I love these PRS's, but I'm totally clueless on their subtleties.
I'm running 10s no issues Great guitars you have there

Asked the dealer to change my DGT strings to 10s before shipping it. No problems whatsoever. Then last week I changed to 8s; again no problems. Did have to make minor adjustments to the truss rod & rear claw, but that's easy-peasy.

Might go back to10s on the DGT, but the 8s really seem to fit the CE24 like a glove.

Changing strings is a fun and relatively inexpensive. Don't give it a second thought-- change them out and live with it for a week or two. Always easy to go back ;)

Back