Color question - Charcoal vs Gray Black?

xxxadixxx

I have been searching for a charcoal Tremonti for a little while now. The natural back and the contrast with the charcoal is beautiful! With that said, I see a few older models with similar finishes like charcoal burst and gray black. The charcoal burst seems like it’s charcoal with a black perimeter (simplifying of course). I am not sure what to make of the gray black. Is it like charcoal, but darker? Some versions seem rather dark where the grain is hard to see. Others look very similar to Charcoal. Has the gray black finish changed over time? I noticed it was available in 2021 but is not shown as a 2022 color.

If I get down to choices I am trying to understand how the charcoal and gray black compare. Of course picture examples could also be helpful

My first PRS, a 513, was grey black. They often look black from a distance, but the figuring shows nicely when stage lights hit it. I’ve not owned a charcoal version, but the ones I’ve seen appear more apparently grey and normally have a black burst around them.

That’s a beauty @DISTORT6 !

From what I’ve seen, charcoal really varies from guitar to guitar. Charcoal also seems to let some of the wood color come through where the grey black doesn’t. It’s hard to appreciate until you see it in person. My satin charcoal 594 for reference.
3Ac0Eou_d.webp

I'd say you can think of grey black as trans-black and will have a black back, charcoal will be a much lighter grey with high contrasting black like burnt charcoal brickets and a natural back, charcoal burst will be charcoal with the black burst edges and black back. Charcoal will be the only one to come with the natural back. Something to keep in mind is the color is achieved by sanding down the stain until the desired color is achevied so there will be variances along with how each specific top takes the stain. But overall this will hold true.
X2Ie6Qc.jpg
C73tA9P.jpg

This is really helpful, and of course I appreciate the eye candy to help make the point. I like the way @12manD describes the differences in the colors. They each look great in their own way. The charcoal will always be a favorite of mine as it has the most contrast, especially with the natural back. Gray black has a much more subtle feeling. It does not seem like I can lose with any of the options in this color family. Thank you all for the help.

I pulled the trigger on a 2022 gray black Tremonti and can not wait to see the top in different light and to put it along side my 594's!

This is really helpful, and of course I appreciate the eye candy to help make the point. I like the way @12manD describes the differences in the colors. They each look great in their own way. The charcoal will always be a favorite of mine as it has the most contrast, especially with the natural back. Gray black has a much more subtle feeling. It does not seem like I can lose with any of the options in this color family. Thank you all for the help.

I pulled the trigger on a 2022 gray black Tremonti and can not wait to see the top in different light and to put it along side my 594's!
You'll love the Tremonti and it compliments the 594 well. I have one and my SC58, great combo. I can't remember the last time I picked up my Les Paul.

I think charcoal as a coat of white either before or after the grey is applied, and there's probably some sanding involved to reveal one or the other. There's quite a difference in how the stain takes to the wood as a result.

Back