Closest pickup to a 408

Soloist101

What would be a pickup that's close to a 408 in spec and could be tapped without volume loss? Thanks

Sounds good, have you tried these? I also saw the fralin unbucker and stag mag Duncan, has anyone compared these to the 408?

Sounds good, have you tried these? I also saw the fralin unbucker and stag mag Duncan, has anyone compared these to the 408?

Yep, I've got about 5 pairs of Zhangbuckers in guitars that I play frequently. Love love love them!

Sounds great, do you have them in Prs guitars? Which buckers? How do they compare sonically to a 408?

Last edited:
Sounds great, do you have them in Prs guitars? Which buckers? How do they compare sonically to a 408?

I have Zhangbuckers in both my SE Orianthi and my Trampas Green CE24. I love the tone of both guitars with the Zhangbuckers. Before I got rid of the 408, I would have picked them over the 408.
Loved the 408, too, but these custom hand wound pickups are killer to me. I spent a long email thread with him before settling on the design of my pickups.

Unbelievable pickups!

Thanks for replying! Sounds great. Do you know what the specs of the 408 are ,if I was to get a Zhang that is comparible, And in split mode, which was better and less volume loss?

Don't know the specs for the 408 pickups. Someone here might know.

The way coil taps are done that don't lose power/volume is to tap somewhere in the coil windings of the 2nd coil. It's use of part of the 2nd coil plus the full coil normally used alone.

The guy from Zhangbucker asks the right questions to figure out how hot you want your coil tap without losing single coil tone characteristics. He's pretty good at figuring the ohm value relative to your humbucker design by what you're looking for. His pickups are notorious for hearing individual notes in chords, even with pretty heavy gain... I love them!

Back