Cleaner Tone

But doesn't that take away the volume on lead runs??
Sin sir is spot on. Roll that volume down just a bit. If you are running volume pot wide open 100 % of the time you are missing out on killer tones.

You can roll volume back up for leads if you wish, after all, that's how they used to do it.

If you’re clean tone is set up where your guitar volume is on 5-7, just flick it to 10 when it’s solo time. When you’re done, dial it back.
Well, that is easy enough to do since I use a Volume pedal. I have just so fell in love with this Custom 24 that I am trying to figure out how I can get all I need out of one guitar. And, I must say, I have gotten a lot of great advice from all of you. Thanks you all so much.
For me, 'The Man' is just an expression, meaning, I take Bonamassa's opinion seriously. But I don't think there's such a person as 'best guitar player'. There are lots of them!

I don't want to sound preachy, and hope I don't, but I think it's a topic worth discussing, and besides, I make my living in the arts and have a perspective that might be a bit different than most folks'. In any case, it's an interesting topic.

In my sessions, I've employed players with astounding chops who've blown my mind, each in their own way, and who've toured with famous artists and bands. They're all different. They all do great things. I respect them all.

As a band leader, performer, session player, writer, producer and singer - all of which involve different (related) skills, Bonamassa is certainly worthy of a high degree of respect. I'm sure that's all he'd even want. So is Brent Mason in a different way, and so are lots of others in their ways.

Perhaps trying to answer the question, "Who's the greatest artist?" does a disservice to the art. Everyone who's great carves out their own space, absorbs influences from those who came before, has unique tone - I could go on and on.

I can't say for sure what art is, but I'm pretty sure there isn't is some kind of competitive game, with rules, statistics, and championships, This is why I think awards shows are kind of silly; they're just promo bs.

I have my favorite artists, of course. But there isn't much point in creating a pecking order for them, or anyone else, really.

For me music is a celebration of what's possible artistically, and there are so many people of merit making it that it's actually a little daunting to put my own stuff out there in the world - I know it's inevitably going to be compared to what's already there (well, what genre and what composer or band does this sound like and blah blah) because so little is taken on its own merits. However, I think art should be taken on its own merits.

It's a difficult enough thing to be in the arts professionally. Pecking orders just make it harder.

"Then why do you say your orchestral work sucks when you post it?"

"Oh, well, because it pretty much does. But I'm working on it!!" ;)
The only reason I am so drawn to Brent Mason is because he is in the same genre that I find myself playing in. I don't label any player, of any instrument, in a top 10 or 20 or 100. It's virtually impossible. There are too many genre's to be able to do that and besides I wouldn't degrade a player by even trying. It's all a matter of opinion and that is what makes music so great. I can't compare Joe to Brent. Two totally different players and styles. But again, I'm drawn to Brent only because of the genre and his style is closer to what I can identify with. I appreciate your opinion and understand totally. Thank you so much for your input and opinion.

Well, that is easy enough to do since I use a Volume pedal. I have just so fell in love with this Custom 24 that I am trying to figure out how I can get all I need out of one guitar. And, I must say, I have gotten a lot of great advice from all of you. Thanks you all so much.

The only reason I am so drawn to Brent Mason is because he is in the same genre that I find myself playing in. I don't label any player, of any instrument, in a top 10 or 20 or 100. It's virtually impossible. There are too many genre's to be able to do that and besides I wouldn't degrade a player by even trying. It's all a matter of opinion and that is what makes music so great. I can't compare Joe to Brent. Two totally different players and styles. But again, I'm drawn to Brent only because of the genre and his style is closer to what I can identify with. I appreciate your opinion and understand totally. Thank you so much for your input and opinion.
Of course, and we all have our favorites!

I just like to blah-blah-blah on philosophical issues from time to time. Hey, it's who I am. ;)

I think an interesting V-pedal mod would be a switchable minimum volume so you could wipe the pedal all the way off to get either to ZERO or your preset clean tone. You could add a trim pot to ground on a switch so you can set the minimum the way you like.

I think an interesting V-pedal mod would be a switchable minimum volume so you could wipe the pedal all the way off to get either to ZERO or your preset clean tone. You could add a trim pot to ground on a switch so you can set the minimum the way you like.
Lehle makes a pedal in two sizes that will do zero to 100, or even a boost.

I think it's adjustable. They make great products. They're also not cheap. The best never is.

Lehle makes a pedal in two sizes that will do zero to 100, or even a boost.

I think it's adjustable. They make great products. They're also not cheap. The best never is.

Cool recommendation. It looks like you can configure the boost ceiling on this pedal, which is really cool. I'm talking about configuring the floor. I wonder if someone makes one that will do both? I have a Morley Boost Wah that has a boost switch onboard, that's great too, especially when cuing a solo.

Cool recommendation. It looks like you can configure the boost ceiling on this pedal, which is really cool. I'm talking about configuring the floor. I wonder if someone makes one that will do both? I have a Morley Boost Wah that has a boost switch onboard, that's great too, especially when cuing a solo.
Thanks, I'll look into this for sure.

I honestly don't know, I'd email them to find out.

I always want the floor on a volume pedal to be zero.

I honestly don't know, I'd email them to find out.

I always want the floor on a volume pedal to be zero.
LOL. Well, I’d have to agree. The OP uses a volume pedal but not how you suggested. If not a switchable floor, perhaps a detent of some kind could let you “find that same spot”. Like when Eddie decked his Floyd to get the low note he wanted. ?

LOL. Well, I’d have to agree. The OP uses a volume pedal but not how you suggested. If not a switchable floor, perhaps a detent of some kind could let you “find that same spot”. Like when Eddie decked his Floyd to get the low note he wanted. ?
Eddie...who's Eddie?

Hahaha!

OK. I know who Eddie was. So I guess I'm just kidding around. ;)

For me, I typically use single channel amps that are already set for a clean-ish tone, use an od or chain of several ods for various levels of gain, and basically shut em all off and roll back guitar volume to enter clean tone mode. I try to keep it simple.

You could just physically block the treadle with something to limit the “floor” of a volume pedal.

Find the volume floor you like, and then find a block of wood (or something) and slide it under there.

Keep the clean tone where you like and get an overdrive or distortion pedal and work with the level on that. I have used tube screamers and Boss metal zone 2 for the same issue, both worked well but it is totally personal preference

Back