Change from 57/08s to 59/09s

Skeeter

I know the discussion regarding these two pickups has been done to death. But I am curious to hear specific anecdotal evidence from people who switched from 57/08s to 59/09s in the same guitar and how much of a difference resulted.

I have a Custom 24 with 57/08s and I'm pretty happy with the pickups - but would like a little more oomph in general, and more punchiness in the neck pickup (esp split in position 4, where it's very thin IMO).

Basically what the 59/09s claim to do over the 57/08s. It would be nice to keep the guitar all PRS and I like the squabbin look that I could maintain from just switching to a 59/09 pair. However, with the cost of 59/09s - one could get any number of excellent boutique pickups like BKP, etc... that I could go to in the event that I wanted a lot more output or a different character.

I know this is all highly subjective, but for those that did the same guitar, same rig - these could be somewhat objective comparisons. If it's just a subtle variation, I might keep the 57/08s or decide to make a little more drastic change to a bridge pickup ~12k (I know resistance isn't everything).

Also, my favorite guitar is my Artist V and I've been told the A-V pickups are essentially 59/09s. Does anyone know if that is correct? Because that might make my decision easier :biggrin:

Thanks for any help!

Maybe a Tremonti in the bridge and a 59 at the neck. I did it in one of my earlier Tremonti's and loved it. If you really want to give it a kick try a calibrated set of bare knuckle cold sweats......my favorite combo.

I think the 59/09 s would give you what you are looking for. I would say as far as getting more umph it would start in an order with the 57/08 then 59/09 and then if you want to get even further up there you could try the \m/ pickups which is my favorite right now. I have PRS guitars with all three pickups in them and the \m/ are winning the battle for me. Don't let the name of the pickup fool you either they are very versatile pickups and clean up well.

The 59/09 and m pickups would be a great choice. I have both in my cu24 and DGT. As raven did say ,mare knuckles are a great choice too, in unfortunately for me very hard to get in Canada .

I have a Custom 24 with 57/08s and I'm pretty happy with the pickups - but would like a little more oomph in general, and more punchiness in the neck pickup (esp split in position 4, where it's very thin IMO).

This is where the 59/09 set will let you down, the 59/09 neck is underwound when compared to a 57/08 - less turns, less output and less oomph but more clarity and reduced wooliness.

How about fitting just a 59/09 bridge pickup (for a bit more kick) and adjusting the neck pickup height/polepiece height to get the tone you're after? This is a popular combo.

The 57/08 pickups are extremely dangerous. Give them to me if you want to live! Receiving them from you might spell my doom but that is a risk I am willing to make so that you can enjoy the benefits of the 59/09 pickups. The 59/09's are great, I have a pair of them in my CU24.

Back