Chambered vs. Semi-hollow bodies

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hi guys,

I remember from the BAM days, someone X-rayed their guitars, and showed the different routing between the chambered models vs. the semi-hollow bodies. (I'm talking about the semi-hollow WITHOUT F-holes.) Is there any consensus regarding what each style of routing does from a tonal standpoint? Does anyone still have those X-rays?

What are the differences in sustain?

Thanks,
Brad

Contact TAG, Brad...hasn't he already done a complete and thorough dissertation on the differences between the two? With sound clips as I recall. Just can't remember where he posted it.

So, without bumping that old thread, did anyone ever x-ray one of the SC245s?

BTW, the LP cork sniffers debate this all the time although the old method of swiss cheese weight relieving used by them is a little less scientific. Most seem to be divided on the subject of solid vs chambered vs. weight relieved.

Last edited:
I only have real experience with one semi hollow PRS. My Artist 1 is semi hollow and weighs 6.2 lbs. It sounds really good, with perhaps just a tiny bit of an EQ scoop...just a little brightness or "sizzle". But I don't know if that's due to the body or the Artist pickups.

Back