Certificate of origin

DaveB96

Hi Guys,
I'm just wondering has anybody got a certificate of origin for a PRS guitar, and where you can get them?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently in the process of importing a PRS ME into Australia, and theres a free trade agreement between the two countries, I believe my guitar was made in the USA (ie it's not an SE model), and I expect it complies with the rule - Has anyone experience in this and can you confirm it or otherwize.,

If it's not compliant, then I don't mind paying the $200 extra duty, but if it is compliant, than I would like to be able to supply the paper work, and use that extra cash on buying some stings.... I mean lets face it we already give the tax man enough right.... Why should I buy him his strings too :)

Now I know someones going to write and say put in a false declaration and say the guitar is worth less than $1,000, and avoid all import dutes, but that's not going to happen, so please help.

thanks

I know someones going to write and say put in a false declaration and say the guitar is worth less than $1,000, and avoid all import duties.
It is unlikely that you would ever get that advice on this forum.

All genuine PRS Modern Eagles were made in Stevensville, Maryland. If you are just looking for provenance, all of the new (rectangular) hang tags clearly state that very clearly and show a serial number which will match the serial number stamped into the back of your headstock. If your Modern Eagle is not one of the newly released "NOS" models then you will have the older bird-shaped hang tag. I don't have one of those in front of me but check the back of the tag.

If not, contact PRS customer service at [email protected].

And... welcome to the forum! Can we see your Modern Eagle?

Hi Dave, the free trade agreement doesn't apply to such things as personal import guitars. You still need to pay 10% GST on a guitar that has a total value of $1000 (item PLUS freight).

Is this a ME1? If so, I'd me MUCH more concerned about the CITES implications with the BRW neck. As in, you've got Buckley's and none of importing a ME1.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;65991 said:
It is unlikely that you would ever get that advice on this forum.

All genuine PRS Modern Eagles were made in Stevensville, Maryland. If you are just looking for provenance, all of the new (rectangular) hang tags clearly state that very clearly and show a serial number which will match the serial number stamped into the back of your headstock. If your Modern Eagle is not one of the newly released "NOS" models then you will have the older bird-shaped hang tag. I don't have one of those in front of me but check the back of the tag.

If not, contact PRS customer service at [email protected].

And... welcome to the forum! Can we see your Modern Eagle?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll contact Customer Service, and see what they say. Yes I can take a photo of it, when it's got throught the clearance and been delivered,....
cheers

Hi Justmund,
No don't worry it's not a ME1, though I have seen a number of those around...
I do understand that I've got to pay the 10% gst, and am happy with that, it's just the extra 5% that I'm wanting to avoid if it's compliant - which I assume it is, I just can't prove it yet. Why do you say the free trade agreement does not apply to personal imports?
cheers

Thanks, I'll contact customer service and see if they can help. Once I get it home, I'll be able to photograph it (and see the hang tags!)

You know what, I could be wrong. I just thought duty didn't apply to guitar imports from the US, but it looks like that could be because of the FTA. Section 92 has the rates, down the bottom it says US origin attract no duty.

http://www.customs.gov.au/tariff/tariff2012.asp

I've never heard of anyone paying anything except GST when importing a PRS from the US. Could be they already know where they are from.

You know what, I could be wrong. I just thought duty didn't apply to guitar imports from the US, but it looks like that could be because of the FTA. Section 92 has the rates, down the bottom it says US origin attract no duty.

http://www.customs.gov.au/tariff/tariff2012.asp

I've never heard of anyone paying anything except GST when importing a PRS from the US. Could be they already know where they are from.

Yeah, that's how I read it too. And I understand that if I can prove the origin of the guitar and all it's parts the duty won't apply. That's why I've asked if anyone has a general statement of origin for a PRS guitar. I've also contacted PRS to ask them. Either way I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the beauty...
cheers
D

Back