Car Shopping: Anything Good?

The PRS Standard? I'd say Honda and Toyota.

But they're $40 - 50K these days for the model I like.

I like the Toyota 4 Runner.
4 Runner's great, my father still drives 2011.
I'm more of Tundra guy 'cause offroading occasionally.
Prices really jumped in last 2 years sadly, not going to be looking into newer models anytime soon

Prices really jumped in last 2 years sadly, not going to be looking into newer models anytime soon
Yeah. I've owned more Toyotas than any other vehicle.

Here's my '89 pickup. 160,000 original miles!

Predates the Tundra but does have a back seat for the dogs.

Harman Kardon
Always thought it was Bowers & Wilkins, no?
If you're in the market for a new ride, you may be wondering if there's anything good out there. Well, let me tell you about salvage car auctions Sca.auction in Jacksonville. These auctions offer a unique opportunity to find great deals on a wide variety of vehicles. Whether you're looking for a project car to restore or a reliable daily driver at a fraction of the cost, salvage car auctions have something for everyone. With a little research and a keen eye, you can snag a real gem.

Last edited:
i suddenly find myself in the market for a new vehicle (not trying to be copycat, bro). HOLY CRAP! did anyone notice that that dealers no longer have cars in their SHOWrooms? wtf

I was recently in a local VW dealership getting a new key fob re-coded for my 2015 GTI (best car EVER), and while I was waiting I noticed they had a brand new 2023 GTI in the showroom.

The MSRP was $32K and change, to which they had added a $9,999 dealer markup. That $32K car was available for the bargain price of $42K.

o_O

i suddenly find myself in the market for a new vehicle (not trying to be copycat, bro). HOLY CRAP! did anyone notice that that dealers no longer have cars in their SHOWrooms? wtf
Every day a drive past a Toyota dealer and Acura dealer across the street from each other. Tons of new Acuras on the lot. Toyota has only used cars on the lot. I’m told Toyota is doing great and very profitable business just by taking orders and delivering the cars to the purchasers as they arrive. Ironically Toyota expanded their showroom significantly just before Covid hit. Even now Toyota won’t sell anything below full (inflated) list price.

My dad has a 2016 4Runner, and my sister a 2015 or so. They have not had Toyota's legendary reliability and have been in the shops a lot. But they've never stranded them. The 4Runners are used off-road across fields and often tow things, though. I drove my dad's 4Runner today to run some errands carrying stuff. Stopped to fill the tank, which was $60.

As for me, the current auto market is a little sad. I like nimble, compact vehicles--particularly hatchbacks and wagons--preferably with a manual transmission (if not electric) and under $25K. That market is pretty much dead. So I'm hoping my 2012 Mazda 3 keeps going for a while yet.

Last edited:
I was recently in a local VW dealership getting a new key fob re-coded for my 2015 GTI (best car EVER), and while I was waiting I noticed they had a brand new 2023 GTI in the showroom.

The MSRP was $32K and change, to which they had added a $9,999 dealer markup. That $32K car was available for the bargain price of $42K.

o_O
I’m pretty sure my 2015 will last me the rest of this decade.

’m told Toyota is doing great and very profitable business just by taking orders and delivering the cars to the purchasers as they arrive
Yeah, the waitlists are insane, I think last time I've checked some folks would get 200+ days

I've been drooling over the Subaru Crosstreks for a while now. Killer cars for sure.

That being said, I've had a Kia Soul for 5 years and have been very happy with it. I'm a lean 6'4" and have plenty of room. Lay down the back seats and you can easily fit a whole rig. Average gas mileage of around 30 mpg too!
I have a Kia Soul as well. The plus version. Such a great car with tons of headroom and cargo space . I can fit the amp, speaker cab, 4 guitars and a full QSC pa in with room left over… very well built. Mine is now 9 years old and still runs and looks new

The Ascent is the biggest SUV and I think the Outback is the next down. At 6'2" anything with a sunroof is going to cramp your headroom.
We had a Subaru Forester that was incredibly roomy inside. I am not 6’2” but have a long trunk and my head wasn’t anywhere near the roofline.

My son has been cruising around in his trusty 4 Runner for years, and it's still going strong.As for me, I'm more of a Tundra guy, especially when it comes to hitting the trails for some offroading fun. But with prices soaring, it's tough to even think about upgrading to a newer model anytime soon.Speaking of getting wheels, when I needed to ship my ride, I went with A1 Auto Transport. They made the whole process smooth as butter. If you ever find yourself needing car shipping services, they're solid. Check 'em out at https://www.a1autotransport.com/florida-fl-car-shipping/

Last edited:
Back