Can anyone help me ID this 2x12?

Imgettingcloser

So I needed a 2x12 cab for my Marshall Class 5 (was getting tired of sharing cabs with my SE30), and didn’t want to spend a bunch of cash but still wanted something made from at least plywood. Also didn’t need to be loaded as I have two greenbacks that need a home. So I came across this one in the pictures. It was listed as being made by Avatar but just looking at it told me otherwise. When I questioned the shop owner he agreed that they were not 100% that it was made by Avatar. No big deal, for the price they wanted I couldn’t buy all the materials needed to build it plus it looks to be a great match for the class 5. The owner also said it came from a large lot of stuff they bought from Taylor Swift’s Guitar tech. Wither it belong to someone famous or not does not matter to me, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I would like to Identify who made this cabinet if possible. A quick email to Avatar proves that it was not made by them. I was also able to contact Taylor’s old guitar tech Sammy Bones and he verified it was not from him but thought it looked like something Bogner might have made (going to contact them soon). I figured I would post some pics here cause you guys have always been a great help whenever I needed it. Maybe someone has seen one like it or may even know who Taylor’s current tech is and how to contact them.

5PHOCyv.jpg

OzNGruK.jpg

gzEpoG8.png

The racing stripes are what confuses me. Any clue if this was a special order tolex? Must be...tolex typically doesn't include the stripes...if it were me, I'd begin by researching some cab builder sites and see if it were possible to ID the anomalies that set it apart...

The racing stripes are what confuses me. Any clue if this was a special order tolex? Must be...tolex typically doesn't include the stripes...if it were me, I'd begin by researching some cab builder sites and see if it were possible to ID the anomalies that set it apart...

I believe that is pipping and not actually part of the tolex. I will know for sure when the cab gets here on Tuesday. It's kind of like an old Marshall 2045 cab.

stFdANp.jpg

I checked the major builders site's ( Mojotone, Sourmash, and Avatar) but came up empty handed. I'll be contacting some of them to see if they may have done a complete custom deal.

I believe that is pipping and not actually part of the tolex. I will know for sure when the cab gets here on Tuesday. It's kind of like an old Marshall 2045 cab.

stFdANp.jpg

I checked the major builders site's ( Mojotone, Sourmash, and Avatar) but came up empty handed. I'll be contacting some of them to see if they may have done a complete custom deal.

Ah. Understood that the stripes are considered piping instead. It may be that your example is indeed a custom piece, because of the unusual piping (and/or wiring).

Ah. Understood that the stripes are considered piping instead. It may be that your example is indeed a custom piece, because of the unusual piping (and/or wiring).

Yeah, I would say there is a good chance that it could just be a custom piece that someone could have made in their garage. I believe the wiring is setup for stereo or mono.

Edit: Never mind, am way off.

It rather reminds me of the short lived series of Marshall 'boutique' amps. Astoria? Maybe it was supposed to go with one of those.

Yeah, I would say there is a good chance that it could just be a custom piece that someone could have made in their garage. I believe the wiring is setup for stereo or mono.

If it is a homebuilt, gotta say, a decent job putting things together. Hire that guy next time you need something more elaborate...whoever the heck it was...

Bonus. That adds flexibility for additional cabinets series/parallel. Although I've forgotten how to determine series/parallel connections (your college electronics book is helpful there), a choice of 8 or 16 ohms means you're not limited to fewer speaker choices.

Last edited:
Back