Call To Arms

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
So....
I'm bringing a good friend out to Experience this year. I really want to get him into PRS. He's seen mine(played some of them) and likes them a lot, but mine all have wide fat necks and he prefers a thinner neck. I only have one wide thin neck, which he seemed to like.
He's mostly a rhythm player. Heavy rock like myself, has more metal riff tendencies than me.
He currently plays an LTD Iron Cross(Hetfield sig guitar). It's not a bad guitar, but....meh. He's been talking about ordering an ESP Eclipse Custom shop. I've convinced him to wait til after we go to PRS. He's bringing a good chunk of $ in case something grabs him.

My only concern is there won't be enough to choose from in terms of what he wants.
-Pattern thin neck(maybe regular, he hasn't tried one of those)
-Most likely a stoptail(not sure he'd rule a trem out, but don't think he has any desire for one)

PRS' current line, there's only the Tremonti stoptail that really ticks all the boxes. Who knows if they'll even have one. I know the sales floor has had a huge amount of guitars and generally some stuff that is out of the norm, but still.

I want him to play what he likes playing obviously, but I'd hate to see it be some other brand.
So, this is where my PRS brothers come in. Tell him why he NEEDS a PRS!;)

How about this. You can buy great guitars from many other companies but none will play as well as a PRS and be a personal work of art at the same time.

Hmm......good friend huh?.......

If he's a *really* good friend, and you trust him, the best way is not with words but with fingers. At the risk of creating a controversy between you two, you can let him borrow your axe that has a thin neck and let him get the PRS addiction first hand, providing there's no mishap like his pet Rottweiler peeing on it or using it as a chew toy. Some folks don't lend out their guitars (myself included) but that's an option. The reason I mention it is because I had a revelation the other day, one that I've came upon before but was clearly reminded recently............I suck on other guitars!!! Really!! Some guys like Jack White can nail a string and a pickup to a 2x4 and get it to sound like something, me, I can try out a nice strat and sound like a fartbag wannabe blues clown. Put a core PRS in my hands and after a couple minutes of connecting, people walk up and mention "that sounds really nice".

Don't know if it's a mental thing, physical familiarity, or both, but now I think I'm imprinted. Maybe that will work for your buddy too after playing one for a few days..

Well I do trust him. I lent him my stripper for awhile which is how he figured out the pattern neck is a little too thick. The only wide thin neck I have is my first PRS which has a pile of sentimental value. I don't gig it anymore for that reason. So if I don't trust myself with it, I'm not sure it'd be a great idea to lend it to him. I'd probably lose sleep.

There just happens to be a music store - or two - in the area...just in case the variety at Experience isn't up to snuff.

I can try out a nice strat and sound like a fartbag wannabe blues clown.

Not that there's anything wrong with sounding like a fartbag wannabe blues clown...
--LSchefman, President, National Organization of Fartbag, Wannabe Blues Clowns.
ronald_guitar.jpg

Last edited:
Well I do trust him. I lent him my stripper for awhile which is how he figured out the pattern neck is a little too thick. The only wide thin neck I have is my first PRS which has a pile of sentimental value. I don't gig it anymore for that reason. So if I don't trust myself with it, I'm not sure it'd be a great idea to lend it to him. I'd probably lose sleep.
Well V, then he's just gonna have to take your word for it or suffer the eternal hell of playing anything less than a PRS.

Not that there's anything wrong with sounding like a fartbag wannabe blues clown...
--LSchefman, President, National Organization of Fartbag, Wannabe Blues Clowns.
ronald_guitar.jpg

Yeah Les, I just couldn't get myself to join the N.O.F.W.B.C............it wasn't the $8.79 initiation dues................I just couldn't get with the happy meals they serve for refreshments. I made it a point not to eat anything that won't rot after 6 years.
http://college.usatoday.com/2016/02/09/alleged-6-year-old-happy-meal-hasnt-spoiled/

Vaughn, if I give you enough drink tickets to entertain my lady at EXP for 15mins.. I'll get your guy to buy a PRS. Promise.

It is possible to order a Custom 24 with a McCarty style stoptail bridge and a pattern thin neck. But the normal tremolo bridge isn't bad either. That was the magic sensation that converted my number 1 guitar from a Les Paul design to a PRS. (I can't really tell the difference between a "pattern thin" and a "pattern regular". They both seem thin to me and I stay away from the "Pattern" as the "Pattern" neck carve is pretty thick.

Definitely get him to a store and confirm that the pattern thin is for him.

If the sales floor operates as it has in the past some dealers might take notice of this thread and hunt for guitars matching his criteria.

You lent him your what?? :)
I lent him Svetlana. She's a little thick:)
Definitely get him to a store and confirm that the pattern thin is for him.

If the sales floor operates as it has in the past some dealers might take notice of this thread and hunt for guitars matching his criteria.
I've already talked with Brian about it.

Yeah Les, I just couldn't get myself to join the N.O.F.W.B.C............it wasn't the $8.79 initiation dues................I just couldn't get with the happy meals they serve for refreshments. I made it a point not to eat anything that won't rot after 6 years.
http://college.usatoday.com/2016/02/09/alleged-6-year-old-happy-meal-hasnt-spoiled/

You're thinking about this wrong. The preservatives transfer from the food to your innards. I've been eating that stuff for years, and I've got the guts of an 8-year-old child (hidden in a discreet location so nobody can prove nothin'!!!!!)

Back