Cab Alternative?

solacematt

So (no offense) But I'm guessing some of the older forum members here may be able to understand this one. I'm a faithful Mesa player, mainly my Rectifier but sometimes I'll use the Mark IV, and have the matching Recto cab. Thing is, that cab weighs 110 pounds, I weigh 125 and have back issues (yea, I'm 31 with back issues thanks to my old job). The only other cab that I have used with the amps has been a Peavey 5150/6505 4X12 cabinet that actually sounded decent but still a bit weighty. Now I know that Mesa amps are made to match their specific cab, but aside from using a 2X12 cab (and I do have a Recto 2X12 as well) can anyone recommend a good 4X12 cab that doesn't weigh so much that will still enable the amp to sound good without sucking all the tone out.
Thanks in advance :)

See if you can try out a DV Mark cab, they're about half the weight of normal cabs.

Alternatively you could switch out your speakers with something neo, like the Celestion Century's.

I'd actually ask Les his thoughts. And BTW, he claims to be the oldest person here.

My answers would not be 4x12 cabinets, but since you want a 4x12 I'm at a loss. How much do the PRS 4x12s weigh?

I have two 5150 cabs. One stays downstairs to practice with when I need to tweak settings on my gmajor and 5150 head otherwise I use cube 30 for practice. My main cab got a wheel treatment. Bigger heavier wheels that will roll over anything plus my trailer has ramp door so that helps. I tried a couple if 2x12 cabs and didn't like it. Its this or fill it with helium. I'm 49 and feel the effects of physical jobs so I may be looking for something different too. Good luck

I'd actually ask Les his thoughts. And BTW, he claims to be the oldest person here.

My answers would not be 4x12 cabinets, but since you want a 4x12 I'm at a loss. How much do the PRS 4x12s weigh?

I'll definitely be checking to see if he answers. I use quite a few modulation effects which and we've found a noticeable difference in sound and lack of the full effect when using the 2X12 instead of the 4X12. My intent actually was to just use my 2X12 recto cab. My band is getting ready to start playing out again since our new drummer is pretty great. I think the worst cabs I've used have been Hughes and Kettner, a Sound City, and a Primal. I've never heard a cabinet make an amp and guitar combination like a PRS through a Mesa sound like a strat through a Marshall. Some people might dig that, but for our sound and style, does not work. Yuck.

This may get some jeers, but have you tried a cab emulator? I have working friends who swear by them, and a few that swear at them.

Tough question! I am a big fan of Mesa cabs, and have used their 2x12s and 1x12s in my studio since 1992. I also love their 4 x 12s, but haven't owned one. They are indeed very heavy for their size, though I think their mass and rigidity contributes to their sound. But my health is an important thing, and I have trouble dealing with their weight, too.

I just got my first PRS 2x12 pine cab a couple of weeks ago, and it's much lighter than a Mesa cab. I think it sounds great, too. But it has more of a vintage vibe than a plywood cab (which PRS also makes). Still, it's so much easier for me just to move things around in the studio, let alone if I have to do a session somewhere else!

Knowing what I know now, I would use a couple of pine PRS 2x12 cabs and run them in parallel. Whether that will give you the right tone is another question. It won't be the same, though it will still be very good. Just different.

Maybe you could have a pine 4x12 built? Your other alternative is to do what Gush suggests, regarding large casters or a caster board with wheels large enough to roll easily over rough sidewalks and parking lots, and have a ramp made for your trailer or van. I'm not sure what can be done with stairs, however.

There is a company that makes a rolling hand cart for musicians, and the wheels may be large enough to allow it to be pulled up stairs if they're not too high (you'd want to observe safety precautions, of course).

Last edited:
This probably doesn't help, but... this is at the top of my current want list...

Recto_Verb25_Web_Slide1__99781.1384627042.1280.1280.jpg

So my band had rehearsal Wednesday evening and they ended up screwing up and double booking our usual room that we request that has a recto cab and a specific bass rig my bass player likes. The room we ended up in had a Fender bass rig and a Fender Mustang 4X12 cab. I thought...great...this is going to suck. Turned out to lightweight, nice tight clean sound. Despite the fact that Fender makes good amps it didn't cross my mind that this cab might not be too bad.

Back