MT100 pairing question

jcapellman

I'm new to PRS (I've been an ESP and Line6 guy for about 25 years). I'm about to purchase the MT100, but I noticed Tremonti's cab is only a 1x12, and the "Stealth 4x12" seems to have been discontinued.

Are there any rumors of a 2x or 4x Tremonti cab? Or would pairing a Mesa 4x12 Rectifier with the MT100 be a solid option? I mainly play Metallica and Creed covers, with my songs being a cross between the two in smaller venues (big enough to warrant a larger than 1x12).

Thanks!

I think you'd be fine running through the Mesa cab. I'd certainly give it a go before grabbing a new cab.

I usually run my Archon through a PRS 2x12 Stealth Big Mouth (discontinued, of course), but I've also run it through an Orange 4x12. Sounds great either way, although the PRS cab seems a tad brighter.

The Mesa 4X12 Cabs Are Nice. Mark Has Used Those Two Cabs Since The Very Early Days And They Are Obviously Well Played And Broken In. They Do Sound A Bit Different Than The New Ones You Get Today. Your Modern Made Recto Cabs Can Be A Bit Boomy In Certain Situations. The New Mesa Traditional 4X12 Is Less So. Both Nice Cabs, Both Would Work Well. In Fact, Any Quality 4X12 Cab Loaded With The Speakers You Like Will Work For The Most Part.

I Gather You Are More Interested In Rear Loaded Cabs Rather Than Front Loaded? Is This Correct?

Here Are Some 4X12 Cabs That I Have That I Really Like For Your Situation.

Original Bogner Ubercab (Rear Loaded) V30 & T75
Fryette Deliverance Cab (Rear Loaded) Fanes
Friedman (Rear Loaded) v30 & Greenback

If You Are Interested In Front Loaded Cabs Let Me Know And I Would Be Happy to Give You Some Options/Feedback On The Ones I Have And Enjoy using For Those Sounds.

Using a Mesa 4x12 with mine. I have the MT 1x12, and it’s got good bones, but I’ve never liked the 16 ohm V30’s that come in many of the PRS cabs, they just get lost in a mix, lots of harsh fizz covering the good stuff. The 8 ohm, UK made version of the V30 in the Mesa 4x12’s lets the tone speak more clearly.

The 1x12 PRS cab made for the MT-15 is definitely not up to the job of handling a 100 Watt amp at full sing, though it's a nice cab for what it was designed to do.

The PRS HDRX 4x12 would obviously be up to the task; Mesa also makes some great cabs I've used with my PRS amps. Another one to look at is Bogner's Oversize 2x12 closed back. Sounds more like a 4x12, big and bold. Also way easier to move around than a 4x12.

Back