Myths

I can verify this... It took me a good while to learn how to dial in my Mesa Roadster. I had a night that I got out in front of the band and absolutely hated the sound of my guitar and haven't gigged the Roadster since. Some day I will get back around to messing with it. It has been setting idle for a good handful of years now. I had thought about selling it because I have a few other amps that I tend to gravitate toward. My whole issue is how the controls interact with each other. I am a little impatient and don't like it when I get something dialed in then make one little change and lose the magic I had.
Try that treble trick; you may like it. IMO, it changed the other controls' DNA big time.

Oh, I tried it on 10, and I still liked it. It was not my usual clean, but I had much fun playing that way. Blast to the past, I used to use Orange AD30TC for that type of thing. The AD30 was crunching, even if you look at it funny. I did your settings with my Secret Preamp on, as I removed the switch and couldn't bypass it. I took a notch of drive down to compensate for it. I could work with the TBM settings; I still would add the edge of breakup with a Nordland, though. Thanks for letting me have some fun with your settings. I think you may find mine a bit too dark ;)
I liked your settings - a lot, both in crunch and higher gain modes.

Plenty of midrange bite and a nice, solid tone without too much treble tilt. Very cool! I will use them on projects.

Also, sounds great with my Suhr Koko-Boost, around 3 dB just as you suggest.

Last edited:
I liked your settings - a lot, both in crunch and higher gain modes.

Plenty of midrange bite and a nice, solid tone without too much treble tilt. Very cool! I will use them on projects.

Also, sounds great with my Suhr Koko-Boost, around 3 dB just as you suggest.
I like it because it's fast in bass response. It also gives plenty of harmonic content, controllable, not dominant. It's a solid rock tone. Add another gentle boost on top of 3dB, and we are right there in high-gain territory.

I have tried the guitar volume. The knob at 6 was probably too low, but even down to nine, it started to clean up a lot. So I am stealing your settings, too, but I will keep the drive low like it was, as I don't play with a guitar volume too much. I understand your concept of having two unique tones within a single channel. Smart :)

I like it because it's fast in bass response. It also gives plenty of harmonic content, controllable, not dominant. It's a solid rock tone. Add another gentle boost on top of 3dB, and we are right there in high-gain territory.
Yup. It sounds excellent!

I figured it would probably sound great in the higher gain mode, but it's also really nice in the crunch mode. A wonderful addition to the tone arsenal, all in all.

Thanks for this!

I'm ashamed to state this, but I gave the higher gain only one chance and never looked back.

I dunno. Your settings sounded very good with that mode. However, as you know, I run my guitar volume pretty low compared to most. So maybe that's part of it?

it's always on and the footswitch was in the way. I had it right below the looper where I was resting my leg on

On behalf of others like me who are afflicted with Overthinking Things Syndrome, I'm proud to give Simon Says this Lifetime Achievement Award!

Thank you, Simon. You make the rest of us feel relatively normal.

We all owe you a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid! :D

I wouldn't say far; I've been buying alcohol without ID for a while now ;)

Hey I’ve seen a picture of you, you are considerably younger than @DreamTheaterRules and me

I dunno. Your settings sounded very good with that mode. However, as you know, I run my guitar volume pretty low compared to most. So maybe that's part of it?

Same here, thanks to you and the settings you’ve pointed me towards.

Last edited:

On behalf of others like me who are afflicted with Overthinking Things Syndrome, I'm proud to give Simon Says this Lifetime Achievement Award!

Thank you, Simon. You make the rest of us feel relatively normal.

We all owe you a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid! :D

I need to give the higher gain mode a chance sometimes. At the same time, the drive mode is perfect for me; the balance between drive and clarity is unmatchable. Maybe if I could toggle it remotely?

Yeah, I'm nuts right in the brain, but I said that before: if it doesn't work for me, I will make it work. I will be rehousing that Spre into a smaller enclosure. As I said yesterday in the Pedalboard Thread, I'm making some changes, and the tall Chase Tone won't fit in this spot with the straight upper deck. I need to shave it.

Hey I’ve seen a picture of you, you are considerably younger than @DreamTheaterRules and me

Same here, thanks to you and the settings you e pointed me towards.
I was petting a Police dog in that photo; these criminal-chewing beasts always make me feel younger. ;)

I can verify this... It took me a good while to learn how to dial in my Mesa Roadster. I had a night that I got out in front of the band and absolutely hated the sound of my guitar and haven't gigged the Roadster since. Some day I will get back around to messing with it. It has been setting idle for a good handful of years now. I had thought about selling it because I have a few other amps that I tend to gravitate toward. My whole issue is how the controls interact with each other. I am a little impatient and don't like it when I get something dialed in then make one little change and lose the magic I had.
I Hear You On The Breathing On The Controls And Using The Magic...LOL. Amazing Hw Such A Slight Change Can Effect Things So Much But It Certainly Does In Certain Instances. I Wouldn't Get Rid Of It But I Rarely Get Rid Of Anything So I Am Probably A Bad Advice Giver On That Front. You Should Plug It Back In And Spend Some Time With It. Hopefully You Can Fall In Love All Over Again. If You Do Ever Decide To Sell It, I Would Consider Buying It But I Truly Hpe You Can Keep It And Be Really Happy With It. :)

I Hear You On The Breathing On The Controls And Using The Magic...LOL. Amazing Hw Such A Slight Change Can Effect Things So Much But It Certainly Does In Certain Instances. I Wouldn't Get Rid Of It But I Rarely Get Rid Of Anything So I Am Probably A Bad Advice Giver On That Front. You Should Plug It Back In And Spend Some Time With It. Hopefully You Can Fall In Love All Over Again. If You Do Ever Decide To Sell It, I Would Consider Buying It But I Truly Hpe You Can Keep It And Be Really Happy With It. :)
I would spend some time with the EQ personally. Mesa/Boogie is legendary for a reason

Back