Breaking high E string

Rich14

I apologize . . . this is another of those, "I'm breaking my high E string, what's wrong?" posts.

I'm using a PRS SE standard, which came with 9s. My mileage varied with those, but practicing doing whole note bends, I routinely found myself breaking the high E right at the fret on which I was doing the bend. Fifth fret, eighth fret, tenth fret, that's where the break happened. Usually after an hour or so of continuous use.

I had this problem on two cheap "entry level" Epiphone Les Paul and Squire Strat models on which I figured the frets were the problem. I smoothed and polished them, but no improvement. Those instruments also had several other neck problems. I figured it was a combination of my technique and poor guitars and hoped that things would improve with the PRS. Frets on this instrument are beautifully smooth.

Well, things are no better on this nice guitar and I now realize it's my technique that's to blame, period. I've switched to 10s (Ernie Ball, D'Addario, others), and at first I thought the problem was solved. I can go much longer (days) between breaks, but the problem is still happening - right where I'm bending. I've set up the guitar for the 10s, and I like them better than 9s for their feel and sound, and they intonate much better than the 9s.

Can anyone suggest how I can eliminate this problem? I don't think I'm forcing the strings down too hard on the frets, but I guess that must be part of the problem. I'm going to try 11s, maybe even 12s, if I can build up my finger strength. Should it be possible to eliminate breaks with 10s? Or is several days reasonable life for that gauge with a lot of bending?

Thanks, Rich

I don't think I've ever broken a string where I'm bending. If mine do break it's usually at the tuning key post, and then it us almost always when I'm tuning. Rarely while playing though it has happened.

Try this experiment. learn to bend without rubbing on the fret. Dig your finger under the string so that the meet of your finger pulls up on the string and it rides in the air above the fret and not on it. This is not for playing technique, but just to see if you are damaging the string while bending. If the breaking stops you will know you are rubbing too hard on the frets and cutting the string. Then it is only a matter of learning how to bend with less downward pressure.

Two thoughts:

- Are you doing massive bends? Like 2 1/2 steps +
- Could this be a sweat PH problem, as discussed in other threads about corrosion of strings and bridges? What do your bridges usually look like - plating ever coming off?

AP515 - Guess I'll have to carefully watch my downward pressure on the frets. I actually have both problems - trying to play fast, I often lift the string when trying to bend, rather than getting a clean note.

Boogie - Yeah, but I'm using the best chainmail gloves I could find . . .

Ovibos - Not trying to bend more than a whole tone. I don't think sweat pH is the problem. Nothing looks corroded. All the strings are smooth and bright, even the high E that has broken. No tarnish on the bridge or any other parts.

Examining the latest broken string, (9th fret) there is a slight upward kink and darkening of the string, corresponding to all the fret positions from 5 through 12. I wonder if that is the normal appearance of a string that's been played for a while. Or am I abnormally causing weak spots to form, setting up inevitable breaking?

...Examining the latest broken string, (9th fret) there is a slight upward kink and darkening of the string, corresponding to all the fret positions from 5 through 12. I wonder if that is the normal appearance of a string that's been played for a while. Or am I abnormally causing weak spots to form, setting up inevitable breaking?
I see darkening after a few weeks of playing but no kink and no breakage.

I think darkening is normal, but I've never seen kinks from the frets.

Where do yo place the finger in relation to the frets?

Make sure the case you put it in doesn't have something touching the fretboard when lid is closed.
do you put it away with strap still attached?
are you finger tapping with crazy pressure?

I too am a string breaker although mine always break at the bridge. I normally get 2 shows out of a set of strings but I tried to play second show on a set this past Saturdaynight and broke A string in first set.

I really wanted to play this guitar so I replaced the A string. I was cursing those STUPID winged tuners like no other.

I've been trying to get used to the winged tuners but I'm afraid the ph2s I have in my drawer will find their way onto this guitar sooner than later.

I am going to say it SOME players are string breakers I have jammed with a few over the years all I can say it try and lighten your touch if you can without changing your sound to much
Good luck to you

I haven't broken a string in many years and I bend a lot... Hey, I'm a Gilmour fan!

When I first started I broke strings more do to poor technique or using cheap strings or guitars with issues....

I would say this is a technique issue and possibly also related to fast corrosion from sweat. It sounds like you're putting too much pressure on the string / fret and wearing the string down quick... Add in some corrosion from sweat and skin oils....

If a string breaks at the same spot such as what Gush mentioned I'd be giving the guitar a close examination. Could be a burr or something eating into that string.

Rich... I'm not sure what to suggest other than very closely examining your technique. Don't grip the neck / strings too hard, relax.... You need just enough pressure for the string to maintain contact with the fret. As well as killing strings you'll wear down the frets quickly too!

Are you bending with adequate support. General rule is three fingers per string although I bend with all my others at times but big bends are always fully supported.

Very hard to diagnose without seeing you or the guitar in person.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. As I explained, I have had this problem on multiple guitars and the frets of my SE are smooth, so I have to conclude it's my technique. As far as the way I am applying bends, I think I'm doing it correctly (obviously not) and I'm now trying to push down against the frets as lightly as possible. I'm two days into a new string. So far, so good.

"I'm breaking my high E string, what's wrong?"
Hi welcome to the forum, and this first question is the key to solving your problem, what's wrong? You have to look at *ALL* the factors to correct the problem.
-Your technique
-your strings
-how you are stringing them onto your guitar
-your pick and right-hand technique
-the hardware on your guitar
-fret issues

Take the time to evaluate each one of these factors, how aggressively you're torquing on those strings, whether moving up in gauge is a good idea, are you buying quality strings, are you winding them correctly onto the posts, is there a sharp edge on the bridge saddle, are you spanking the string with a heavy pick? All these are possibilities and it's up to you to go through the process of elimination to solve your problem, that is the path to enlightenment. Good luck and where the breaks are occurring give you some clues to what is going on, hope you can get a grip on it.

I used to break stings like crazy when I was younger. I blamed the instruments. Switching to 8s for a while after reading a version of Billy Gibbons' BB King string gauge story was what I think finally broke me of it. My ear goes nuts whenever notes are sharp, so fretting those slinky 8s was almost like a form of electrical shock therapy for my ham fists. Eventually my touch lightened up. And man, is it easier to play now, no matter what gauge I'm using. Incidentally, it's actually harder to break 8s, they just have too much give to them.

I break strings on every guitar I play and always on the bridge or saddles if trem equipped. Im sure it's my playing habits.

It is what it is. I use NYXLs and I feel these are good quality strings.

After reading responses on here for the last couple years surrounding this topic I'm trying to use a lighter touch but after nearly 35 years of playing it is hard to do.

I'm always looking to improve so I will keep trying.

I used to break stings like crazy when I was younger. I blamed the instruments. Switching to 8s for a while after reading a version of Billy Gibbons' BB King string gauge story was what I think finally broke me of it. My ear goes nuts whenever notes are sharp, so fretting those slinky 8s was almost like a form of electrical shock therapy for my ham fists. Eventually my touch lightened up. And man, is it easier to play now, no matter what gauge I'm using. Incidentally, it's actually harder to break 8s, they just have too much give to them.
Yeah man, I'm playing 9s right now for the first time ever. GREAT for practicing a lighter touch!

Back