Best Used Value to Hold Over During Covid

Andrew Warren

Like many, I'm re-finding the joys of guitar. I took lessons 25 years ago, stopped, and have been playing nonstop for last 2 months on my '95 MiM Strat. It's time to upgrade. I've done a ton of online research but without being able to play any guitars in store, it's hard to make a decision. I'm leaning towards buying one of the following used to hold me over for next 12-18 months, then flip at near to what I paid, until hopefully I can get into the stores. I play a good mix of Phish/GD, punk, and classic rock / blues. No metal. Which route would you go?...
  • Custom 24 SE: Used ~ $500-600
  • Paul's Guitar SE: Open box ~ $750
  • S2 Custom 24: Used ~$1200
  • CE Custom 24: Used ~$1500
  • S2 McCarty Thinline: New $1500 or chance at open box for $1250
Or suggest other solid options!

I’d keep saving and wait until I had a better bead on exactly what I wanted, but that’s just me :)

Dave's has a few 35th Anniversary SEs coming in. I like mine. Do you have no preference as to neck shape? I would love an S2 McCarty thin line. I would really want to play one first.

• Custom 24 SE: Used ~ $500-600
  • Paul's Guitar SE: Open box ~ $750
The Custom 24 SE has a wide/thin neck and a floating bridge. The Pauls SE has a wide/fat neck and a fixed bridge. Neck profile is a personal preference - you have to play it to know if it works for you. You can add a whammy bar to the floating bridge if that's your thing :). On the other hand the fix bridge will stay in tune better in my experience.

I would make sure you can return/exchange a guitar if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
SEs are a solid choice and excellent value. S2s are made from a better selection of wood — they’re more resonant.

It really comes down to neck profiles. Given your 90s MIM Strat, I’d suggest the Pattern Regular necks on most S2 models would probably feel most familiar to you. But maybe you want to change?

I have small hands, yet find the Wide/Fat profile very comfortable. (I never liked Wide/Thin). Neck preferences are such a personal thing, it’s hard to recommend anything without you trying out the different shapes.

Can you talk about other guitars you’ve tried and liked? That could help us make a better recommendation to you.

If you like the feel of your Strat, you may get along really well with the CE 24 and its Pattern Thin neck, I know I do.

Since you mentioned Phish, I'm going to throw another model in there - SE Hollowbody. The Standard goes for $999 new, the II model (maple top/back) for $1149, and the II with Piezo for $1549. Dave's has a Hollowbody II used right now for a fantastic price...

Used Core Mira - $900 - $1100 Best guitar for the money out there.

Fantastic guitars. I have mine currently listed on Reverb, because it has the regular neck and I really prefer Wide Thin or Wide Fat. It's the Wide part that I like...

Since you mentioned Phish, I'm going to throw another model in there - SE Hollowbody. The Standard goes for $999 new, the II model (maple top/back) for $1149, and the II with Piezo for $1549. Dave's has a Hollowbody II used right now for a fantastic price...
I was going to mention the SE Hollowbody Standard. The neck is listed as a Wide/Fat, but it feels a little closer to a Pattern Regular — it’s like a compromise between them.

It’s become my go-to guitar. (love the controlled feedback it can do with high gain)

Thanks for all the great feedback! Tough decision. I have smaller hands, so was leaning towards wide/thin, but interesting that is opposite of your preference above. I guess since I really have no idea which of these would feel good (i've probably never held another guitar besides my 95 mim strat), I was kinda just going on best bang for buck where I wouldn't lose more than $100 when I flip, but I'd still greatly enjoy for the next 12-18 months. Maybe the 35th anniversary used coming in at Dave's is a good idea. I left the hollowbody off the list because I was concerned it wouldn't do well with the punkier stuff I like to play.

I can guarantee you that you won’t think about flipping an S2 or SE Hollowbody. (This is coming from a Fender player since the 70s)

Dip a toe in. The water is fine.

The 509 is more versatile for your needs. Not sure about Punk, but it can handle a lot. It's one of the most versatile in the PRS line.

If you want to be able to get more Strat like sounds as well, none of those on your list will get you there as well as a 509. At least that's been my experience.

I'd go for a maple neck.

There are some really good prices on Velas out there , was a Surf Green one for 750 that I almost pulled the trigger on

Phil McKnight said the SE 245 is his favorite SE in the latest video. Interesting. Anyone else have an opinion on that? Otherwise I keep debating a se Paul’s guitar, Zach Myers, or perhaps the s2 McCarty thinline. I ended up selling my old MIM strat for a new strat player. Are any of these PRS’s too similar to the strat or a great complement in terms of doing different things?

Phil McKnight said the SE 245 is his favorite SE in the latest video. Interesting. Anyone else have an opinion on that? Otherwise I keep debating a se Paul’s guitar, Zach Myers, or perhaps the s2 McCarty thinline. I ended up selling my old MIM strat for a new strat player. Are any of these PRS’s too similar to the strat or a great complement in terms of doing different things?

You really can't go wrong with any of them. I believe it has already been mentioned but if possible you should really try and go to a shop to test a few out. But if you want something the opposite of a strat I'd recommend the 245 or the Zach Meyer, which is basically a semi-hollow 245.

GC gets some used Santana SE models selling used in the 3xx range. Sometimes even a model past the 2013 model year.

Some of them are phenomenal guitars some basically unplayed even ..

You really can't go wrong with any of them. I believe it has already been mentioned but if possible you should really try and go to a shop to test a few out. But if you want something the opposite of a strat I'd recommend the 245 or the Zach Meyer, which is basically a semi-hollow 245.
very helpful. I won’t go into a store bc of covid. Sounds like 245 or Zach Meyer are the moves.

Back